Motion vs bvr file - what's the difference?

Mouretsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I just setup BI today and most things are working well. However, I keep getting files labeled as "Motion" and it gives a length such as "10sec". Then when I click on that file it is just a still image and not a video. I have the JPGs showing up correctly.

Then I get the bvr files which seem to be self-explantory: they are recordings of motion detected in the cameras. Those play back as they should.

So what is the difference between the two files and how do I shut off the Motion files as I don't think I need those?

One other thing, I have turned my alerts settings to "Never". I don't really need alerts, I just want video that I can look through at the end of the day if anything happened around the house. But it is still recording alerts into the alert folder.

Thank you for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just setup BI today and most things are working well. However, I keep getting files labeled as "Motion" and it gives a length such as "10sec". Then when I click on that file it is just a still image and not a video. I have the JPGs showing up correctly.

Then I get the bvr files which seem to be self-explantory: they are recordings of motion detected in the cameras. Those play back as they should.

So what is the difference between the two files and how do I shut off the Motion files as I don't think I need those?

One other thing, I have turned my alerts settings to "Never". I don't really need alerts, I just want video that I can look through at the end of the day if anything happened around the house. But it is still recording alerts into the alert folder.

Thank you for your help.
Welcome to the forum..post a screenshot of your record tab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Mouretsu Uncheck "jpeg snapshot each" and uncheck "store alerts as high res" and see what happens..
Side note you may wish to increase your pre trigger frames to one or two times your FPS rate, so you get a second or two of recording before the triggered event. Also, you may wish to change the event color for one of the cams so you can see them independently in the timeline.

Mouretsu

n3wb
Reaction score
Done. Thank you. I'll check in all of my settings tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Mouretsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I also had to uncheck "Create alert list images when triggered" to get rid of the files labeled "motion." Thank you for your help.

I would still like to know what those motion files are since they show a length of time but they only show as still images.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you need to keep that checked to see motion alerts on the time line... Not sure why you are seeing them.. The should only appear when you select to view alerts...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hltljohn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Under clips and archiving probably has the Alert folder set to the same location as the new folder. Alerts should go to their own folder, then you would not see the motion clip.