motion tracking of person coming out of car

arec

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a SD5A425XA-HNR that has been running well for a few weeks thanks to the advice of some nice folks in this thread.

I notice is that if a car triggers the camera, and the car stops and a person gets out of the car, the camera stays focused on the car while the person who got out is moving all over the place.

Is there any way to make the camera start following the person who gets out of the car?

Right now I'm using the triggers and motion tracking built into the camera, as described in that linked thread. I am recording with BlueIris, but currently do not have BlueIris controlling the the PTZ at all - it just records whatever the camera gives it. I'd prefer to let the camera do the motion tracking and switching to the person as the target to track. But if that's not possible, can BlueIris be configured to do this?

Thanks!
Andy

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately not.

Tracking only starts on presets, so after it has been tracking, it is only that object unless the PTZ is called to a preset.

You would have to set up a spotter cam to direct the PTZ to a preset of that area set for human. I have done this, so I know it is possible LOL.

See this thread.

But it would be hit or miss because if the person doesn't get out of the car fast enough, it will potentially move on to another preset.

arec

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful reply @wittaj.

Tracking only starts on presets, so after it has been tracking, it is only that object unless the PTZ is called to a preset.
Ahh bummer. That at least explains what I'm seeing, so thanks for the info.

But it would be hit or miss because if the person doesn't get out of the car fast enough, it will potentially move on to another preset.
I have the track time set to pretty long, so as long as they don't fall asleep in the car, I'd prolly have been good.

I wonder if turning off the camera tracking and letting BlueIris track could work. There would be lag, but maybe some options there...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind track time means nothing if the person isn't moving or can't be seen moving thru a window.

Once the PTZ stops seeing motion it quits tracking and goes back to the previous preset.

All auto tracking is done from within the camera. BI does not have tracking capabilities. Now you can mimic tracking with enough spotter cams. I did that before my auto tracking PTZ and called it the poor man's autotracking.