Motion detection

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a hikvision ds-2cd2032-I cameras and a hikvision NVR 7608 ni SE/P.

currently motion detection is setup on the NVR, I would like to set it up on the camera, but want to experiment with the expert mode where I can draw areas, will I need to enable motion detection on the NVR and the camera? Would I leave the detection area on the NVR blank and set it on the camera? Would I enable/check the motion detection box on both NVR and camera.

Might sound simple but seems confusing to me.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does not matter where you define the motion detection area first (the camera or the NVR). This is a very basic motion detection feature and each device updates the other.

jasonpich

n3wb
Reaction score
Just remember to set motion detection recording schedule too. I do he setting in the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have set motion detection with expert mode on the camera, I set it up along 2 cameras which were giving the most emails for motion detection. I have set 4 areas up, the nvr has motion detection enabled.

do I draw the motion detection boxes via the nvr or clear the single area?

im sure I tried clearing the area and it did not detect anything that went in the area.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You draw the boxes wherever you want it to sense motion. The places you don't highlight won't detect motion.

Play around with it and see what happens, best way to learn. Plus you will remember it longer.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something strange seems to be happening, after drawing 4 areas on a camera via expert mode and enabling motion detection on the nvr and selecting the whole camera, it's giving me email after email nearly every second.

The nvr is sending the emails but when I do a playback I don't see what the nvr has sent me as motion detection via email attachments. I'm thinking of reducing the motion detection area on the nvr to match the boxes on the camera.

my guess is it recording when something hits the areas but emailing as the motion detection is set full screen.

would it not be that it emails if something hits the areas?

i will do more testing later tomorrow.
recording usage seems to have decreased a lot in adding areas which is good.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused still on how you have it set up. Can you clear up what you have set in the camera and in the NVR.

If you highlight the whole frame on motion detection, anything that moves on the screen (could be a mozzie) will either start recording or send you an email depending on which way you have it set.

If you set the NVR to motion detection recording, it will only record when motion is detected to what you have set on the NVR that is also to do with where you highlighted the sections on the frame. If you set email notifications, the NVR will send you the email notifications when it detects motion.

It seems you have set motion detection on the camera as well for some reason? Is the camera the one sending emails? I'm not sure why you have done this.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Model of NVR Hikvision DS-7068NI-SE/P
Model of cameras DS2032-1

Camera A and B were giving a lot of false positives. so i tried experimenting with expert mode in motion detection.

I have drawn 4 areas in each camera as a test.
On the NVR I have enabled motion detection. the whole screen is selected for motion detection (my guess here is where I’m going wrong)
when something enters the areas on the camera it records to the HDD which is exactly what i want.

The issue is when something is detected as moving on the camera it sends an email. This is ok if it’s in the boxes but not anywhere else.

The email settings have been configured on the NVR itself and not the cameras as there are connected to the POE interfaces of the NVR.

The reason why i selected the whole screen was after I added the boxes I went to test it out and no emails or recording were made. So I restarted the NVR and the same issue persisted.
I then powered down the NVR (shutdown) waited a little while and fired it up, after which emails and recording started to work.

Hope this is ok

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I get you. Correct me if I misunderstood.

You want any movement in the whole frame to be recorded by the NVR to the HDD, However, you only want to get emails sent to you when something is within those 4 other boxes you're talking about.

If that's the case the only way I can see you doing that is to let the cameras send the email notifications instead of the NVR. So just turn off email notifications on the NVR and set them on the camera.

If the cameras are on the NVRs POE ports, I don't believe they can access the rest of the network/internet. If they're on an external switch you're good to go.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
basically if anything moves in the 4 boxes to send email and record. The only thing that was confusing was when I was testing it the other day after putting boxes on, no emails were sent at all so I was forced to enable motion detection for the full camera as I was in a rush. Now I'm sure it changed the settings on the camera from expert to normal not sure if this was because I added the motion detection area on the nvr which in turn overwrote the camera settings.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still confused by the 4 boxes. Is that referring to 4 cameras? or 4 box sections in the motion detection window where you draw.

The nvr will overwrite settings on the camera if you change it on the nvr.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 areas on motion detection where you can adjust day time and night time sensitivity.

am i right in thinking if i draw 4 selection areas of motion detection on the camera in expert mode, on the nvr have motion detection enabled BUT leave the motion detection area on the NVR empty??