devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using motion detection on my front door with following settings:
* quite a large 'object size'
* make time: 0.7 s
* object recject/detect enabled

This works for detecting people really wel, however it also trips when the camera switches from day/night mode. This switch happens multiple times at night when there is full moon with clouds, which causes the motion detection to trigger multiple times as well.

This has put the WAF at a low level because it tripped (a few times) during sleep ;-). Is anyone able to surpress these falses ? I was thinking about adding a PIR sensor there as well, but there is no power at that location (camera is POE ...)

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@devastator First, unless you are also recording 24/7 or using a cloned cam with lower thresholds for recording, you are missing lots of valid motion events by using object detect reject. You might want to consider masking some of the image or increasing the make time.
You can use the 2 unused pairs in your ethernet to transmit power to your PIR sensor(provided you are using a standard poe switch, not a midspan injector).

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point about the thresholds. This is indeed a cloned camera, the 'original' one has lower threshold values (still need to order a disk for 24/7 recording). Masking is already applied. I think the make time is already at its max, cause when the motion is triggered I'm already at the front door (so limited motion from then onwards ...).

I'm using a standard POE switch. Do you know PIR sensors that do not run on mains voltage ?

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mmmm, this could be a valid option. First I thought about adding a Z-Wave PIR on batteries, but this could be even better ...

Will these PIR's be triggered when my outside lights are turned on at night ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmmm, this could be a valid option. First I thought about adding a Z-Wave PIR on batteries, but this could be even better ...

Will these PIR's be triggered when my outside lights are turned on at night ?
no they should not trigger

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the cams that don't have a alarm in, I use my HA (Homeseer) to trigger a manual recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Looking through the BI options/settings I have no idea how I'd set this up to work with particular camera/s, so I guess my search for more false-free triggers continues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Looking through the BI options/settings I have no idea how I'd set this up to work with particular camera/s, so I guess my search for more false-free triggers continues.
In the motion tab, "trigger with dio input bits"...i purchased a 120e for cheap, but have not had the chance to test it..I have to get a PIR sensor...
Cloning the cameras and setting high thresholds, masking out areas, works really well too. Hopefully the developer will implement line crossing soon..

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the motion tab, "trigger with dio input bits"...i purchased a 120e for cheap, but have not had the chance to test it..I have to get a PIR sensor...
Cloning the cameras and setting high thresholds, masking out areas, works really well too. Hopefully the developer will implement line crossing soon..
Thanks for your ressponse fenderman. I have used the DIO option for cameras with built-in PIR detection, but the missing part of the puzzle for me is how to combine the digital signal from a stand-alone PIR detector with a camera in BI.

The Sealevel adapor doesn't combine the outputs from the 2 devices into one signal as far as I can see.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your ressponse fenderman. I have used the DIO option for cameras with built-in PIR detection, but the missing part of the puzzle for me is how to combine the digital signal from a stand-alone PIR detector with a camera in BI.

The Sealevel adapor doesn't combine the outputs from the 2 devices into one signal as far as I can see.
The sealevel device will allow you to use up to 4 pir sensors to trigger any camera or multiple cameras at once. Each input will result in a distinct bit value, 1,2,4,8. Then you just input the value in the motion tab.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sealevel device will allow you to use up to 4 pir sensors to trigger any camera or multiple cameras at once. Each input will result in a distinct bit value, 1,2,4,8. Then you just input the value in the motion tab.
:idea: All of a sudden the (dim) lightbulb goes on! Thanks fenderman, I appreciate your patience. :)

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe you could also use an arduino (which is also supported by BI) and that can be purchased for a fraction of the price