Motion Detection Not Working

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on honing my blue iris setup now that I got all the cameras in.

The problem is I am not getting a lot of recordings even with motion. I had two guys come to take stuff off my driveway to throw it away and I watched them but Blue Iris didn't record it.

I adjusted the motion detection and sensitivity but it was about the lower third of the slider and this was BIG movement if you can imagine hot water here getting put in a truck and driving away.

I don't have artificial intelligence enabled and the camera is a hikvision.

I currently set the min object size to 141 and the min contrast to 21. Min duration is 1.1

Object detection is enabled is I think the default of 100 pixels is enabled.

Let me know if this makes sense and what I might check to improve detection / recording.

Thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off object detection - that is intended to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

The min object size is meaningless to us to troubleshoot because you have to decide based on the field of view your camera sees what is the min size of a human (or whatever object) would be that you want it to trigger.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it - thanks I will try disabling that.

I do notice I have a lot of recordings of the state change from IR light source to natural light (day / night). I am assuming there's nothing to prevent this...?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can change the min make time to get around that. Object detection can as well, but you have to find the right blend that eliminates most false triggers, but doesn't miss real ones.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you pick area where you want to either ignore or areas you only want to look for motion?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed my locations for files - stored and new (D drive) but I see new files in the C:\Blueiris\Stored ?!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screen shots
1)Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
2) on two of the camera prosperities the record tab.
=====================================

My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The folder sizes are set in the configuration pages of BI, the gear icon at the top left of the console screen.

I know, from your settings, you're only recording motion, but I'd still change "combine and cut" to one hour rather than eight hours. It makes reviewing clips much faster and doesn't take any additional disk space.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I changed everything to 1 hour for combine and clip. I still can't find the 90% not sure which option (tab) it is under the main menu.... I will continue to look.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im confused, what does "delete" mean? After the retention period it would be deleted? I changed my period to be longer 60 days. I would like things to stick around for quite some time. I think I have the space to store things for now.

Eventually I will archive to unraid or some storage. But for now everything is the same drive.

Is the 90% where you want me to limit size? I was looking for a % option so I might not follow completely. Let me know and many thanks for your assistance!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't do things by time, use space only. To determine the amount of space for 90% of the drive click on the drive in fie manager, then right click and select properties. That will show you the actual writeable size of the drive. Multiply that number by .9 and that's the size to set the total drive space to. The total drive space is a factor of how many directories you are using on that drive.

Example, using approximations, for a 100GB drive the writeable space is about 90GB. If you set the new directory to 80GB you now have 10BG left over for stored.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the 90% is a math problem not a direct setting. if your disk size is 4000GB free space, then allocate only 3600 GB to BI. You have only 10GB allocated in my opinion this is too small,

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't do things by time, use space only. To determine the amount of space for 90% of the drive click on the drive in fie manager, then right click and select properties. That will show you the actual writeable size of the drive. Multiply that number by .9 and that's the size to set the total drive space to. The total drive space is a factor of how many directories you are using on that drive.

Example, using approximations, for a 100GB drive the writeable space is about 90GB. If you set the new directory to 80GB you now have 10BG left over for stored.
Right but I thought I wasn't using stored?

You said not to do time, but then you said the limit the files to 1 hour? Is that something different? Sorry to be so dense just trying to make sure I am straight here -

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right but I thought I wasn't using stored?

You said not to do time, but then you said the limit the files to 1 hour? Is that something different? Sorry to be so dense just trying to make sure I am straight here -

Thanks!
Limit the files to 1 hour is in the cut and combine section and has nothing to do with how long the files are retained. The not limiting by time is in reference to how long files are kept until they are deleted and most are better off doing it by available drive space and let that be the determining factor on how long files are saved. You could say save for 60 days (which is what you show right now with that boxed checked), but if you only have storage capacity for 12 days, they are getting deleted anyway...

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah I see what you mean now. not the retention of days (60 days) but space. I get it. Working on it now!

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I set my limit to 2430 GB which is 90% of my 2.7TB drive. Now I did storage too but based on my NEW settings nothing gets move to stored so it shouldn't matter? It sounds like when I have an unraid or other storage device I will want to archive to storage and adjust accordingly, correct?

Thanks!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would still make the storage as zero - BI could interpret that as an over-allocation error at some point and cause issues.