Motion Blur

Reaction score
I've been trying to play with settings over the last couple of days to try to get what I want from the system, but each change has both positive and negative effects.

I believe I am nearly there now, my system has 5*3MP Cams at 2048 x 1536 at 20FPS

I'm running on a E3-1240V2 3.4GHz 16Gb Ram, 9TB of raid 5 storage. (The same server is also doing my x10 control, media centre (Plex), an owncloud installation, and asterisk for my home/office phones) so not as overkill as it sounds.

CPU usage is down at only 35% approx. 800MB of Ram which I'm happy with, considering the same box (Server 2012 R2) is also doing some other functions.

I have played with the iframe/FPS settings, currently 10iframe, 20FPS (Is lower iframes better than higher? They were matched but had motion blur and dropped to see if it would assist, though no yet real world examples to see)

I'm receiving a 20MB buffer from the cameras, and a huge 150 pre trigger frame to receive what I want, i'e a car pulling on the drive, I now see the car drive into the cameras view and the complete parking etc.

I'm recording just on motion, and have used mask's to record what I want, the motion detection, apart from the occasional cat setting it off seems perfect, I have had some issues prior where the motion was mid screen by the time the recording happened, even with pretrigger settings etc but seems much better with current settings. I have trigger groups, so 2 cameras are triggering and CPU usage is still minimal.

I was getting lots of loss of signal before reducing the iframe to 20 or below, have since had none. I'm running fairly cheap Hikvision's.

The problem I have now with the current setup is strange, and hoping iframe will fix, however would appreciate some input, first time playing with CCTV in this way, especially IP.

Two cameras at the front of the property have identical settings in Blue Iris, and they trigger one another. One camera has just triggered me pulling on the drive and all is perfect, quality, pre trigger etc I cannot fault, however the second camera recording the same footage and recording at the same time, has the correct pre trigger, however has motion blue of the entire 40s recording, that is not just of the vehicle (traveling approx. 10mph and slowing throughout video) but also of people walking by. The only thing that is different in this camera is that the viechle movement is right to left on the screen, as the people are walking left to right. Would this cause motion blur as the iframes are struggling with so much happening and if so what would be the resolution.

Hope to make myself welcome on the forum shortly, sorry for a first post asking for advice.

Appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I am running it in Blue Iris, Direct to Disk, and 100% quality at very fast setting, not sure if this contributes.

Reaction score
@Joe L ReynoldsWelcome to the forum. Please post a video of the blur you are seeing.
Thanks Fenderman, hope to make my own contributions going forwards when i get this figured.

Does this work and viewable to yourself?

[video]http://joereynolds89.dyndns.org:81/clips/Cam3.20150824_121759.avi[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, hope to make my own contributions going forwards when i get this figured.

Does this work and viewable to yourself?

[video]http://joereynolds89.dyndns.org:81/clips/Cam3.20150824_121759.avi[/video]
That requires credentials...just upload it to youtube or dropbox.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That looks like a dropped Iframe to me. I have seen this on my Hiks before, but not since I made a few tweaks. For my Hiks running 20fps, I run with Iframe set at 40, and in Blue Iris, choose the next higher FPS (in this case 22.5), and a network buffer of 10mb (this is on the screen that pops up when you go to the camera's video settings and hit the Configure button next to the Network IP).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What version of blue iris are you running? If its 3, follow diggers advice and set the fps the next step up in blue iris..

Reaction score
The latest version of Blue Iris... Only just installed and first time user.

I'm already running on a 20MB buffer, I reduced iframes thinking it was better but I'll increase them (thinking about it when it was at 50 as default this problem didn't occur)

I'll try upping the FPS also

Will report back shortly, thanks for advice!

Reaction score
Upping the FPS seems to have fixed the motion blue, and the very slight stutter! Thanks a lot both :)