More people throwing trash outside my house

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Are car registration numbers fluid in Texas? That seems like a massive loophole that can alow scum like the beer can tosser from avoiding a raft of convictions if they can get a shady dealer to issue a temp tag every so often.
This is pretty much the deal

Around half them them are fake, the other half expired

The idea is you get them on a new car before DPS sends you your physical license plate, but around here shady dealers just give you them forever for a fee, or you fire up Microsoft Word and make one

People get them because their car can't pass inspection (MOT to you, but 100000x easier)

I often see the same number on 6-7 different cars, and the police don't care. Its all a sham

The plus side is that if I see someone park up with a temp tag that isn't a brand new car, I get ready to confront them about putting trash on my lawn. Because its always them

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It varies from state to state here in the U.S. In Connecticut to register a vehicle that was bought in another state, it must be taken to a licensed inspection station to verify that the VIN on the paperwork is the actual VIN of the vehicle. The vehicle may also need to undergo an emissions inspection or test. The state issues temporary plates for the purpose of driving the vehicle to the place of inspection.
Yep, 50 states = 50 different ways, pretty much.
Most require proof of valid insurance at that point but then a HUGE % of drivers let it lapse later. :confused:

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
What impact does this have on LPR?

I see members here getting great results tracking plates and keeping records but by the sounds off things if the police for example go to trace the owners of a vehicle linked to an incident they will end up in a dead end without a system like we use in the uk.

Criminals will always be criminals and will just steal a car for whatever purpose wherever they are in the world but the "paper plate" method just looks to me to make things far too easy and open to abuse. I think criminals should have to work a bit harder lol. It's almost a temptation for your average law abiding citizen. They'll think why bother, just this once or such and such is doing it.

With the cctv footage we can say yes the vehicle was used in an incident or multiple incidents but owners are unknown and untraceable.

Sounds like a cluster@#£%

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What impact does this have on LPR?

I see members here getting great results tracking plates and keeping records but by the sounds off things if the police for example go to trace the owners of a vehicle linked to an incident they will end up in a dead end without a system like we use in the uk.

Criminals will always be criminals and will just steal a car for whatever purpose wherever they are in the world but the "paper plate" method just looks to me to make things far too easy and open to abuse. I think criminals should have to work a bit harder lol. It's almost a temptation for your average law abiding citizen. They'll think why bother, just this once or such and such is doing it.

With the cctv footage we can say yes the vehicle was used in an incident or multiple incidents but owners are unknown and untraceable.

Sounds like a cluster@#£%
While they may not get them initially as the data is fake, many police cars are equipped with LPR and scan every plate that the police car passes and will alert the officer as to any outstanding warrants, fake plate, that sort of thing. So if they person is out there driving with a fake plate, it will be flagged and eventually a police car will roll by it.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While they may not get them initially as the data is fake, many police cars are equipped with LPR and scan every plate that the police car passes and will alert the officer as to any outstanding warrants, fake plate, that sort of thing. So if they person is out there driving with a fake plate, it will be flagged and eventually a police car will roll by it.
Same as the UK (Ireland is playing catchup as per usual). LPR on police cars which give an instant ping to the police if the car linked to the registration plate has no valid tax/MOT/ insurance. If the owner has a driving ban then there will be a flag against the plate for that also. Lots of people used to buy an insurance policy to get the paper certificate and then cancel it. They would wave the cert under the coppers nose when they were pulled over. Now its no good to them with all the data sharing between insurers/DVLA/DVSA. The DVSA even has fixed LPR cameras used in combination with weight sensors to detect if a truck is over its stated limit. Of course it doesnt stop the scumbags with a few working braincells to put fake plates on a car where the fake plate match the same make/model/colour but this is usually done to avoid paying congestion charges in the likes of London.

Personally i think its just another reason to (if one is allowed) have a camera for LPR duties, one to catch the make/model/colour and if needed one to get a good view of the driver (i've seen a few captures on here which do all of the above) :thumb: