Montavue Starlights MTT5098-AISMD

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have been talking with mat, and going back and forth on several kits on a purchase I will be making.
All of a sudden, I see Montavue post some new Starlights up with their AI built in and I might be making a last minute decision change.

I'm not too familiar with all of the details on Startlights, but I see this one has the 1/2.7 sensor.

Getting ready to drop about $2000 on this purchase and was wondering if any one can provide some feedback if these will be good in very low/no light areas in my yard?

Looking at buying 8 of these cams total and they run $210 a pair.

They also have bullet form that has the same specs, but I'm looking at purchasing the turrets.

Thanks in advance!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
look's like Dahua OEM. Check the MontavueGO app, is the same as IDMSS Plus

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not buy an off brand cameras. Stay with the name brand cameras Dahua or Hikvision. They may be better for long term support.

More megapixel is not necessarily better.
The bigger the sensor the better
The lower the lux rating the better.

Currently there is no such thing as a 5MP starlight. The term starlight only applies to Dahua.
Read the camera reviews on the forum.

Look at Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup.

General advise start with one variable focus camera, use the test reg to verify the lens size, and mounting position. My test rig: rev.2

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not buy an off brand cameras. Stay with the name brand cameras Dahua or Hikvision. They may be better for long term support.

More megapixel is not necessarily better.
The bigger the sensor the better
The lower the lux rating the better.

Currently there is no such thing as a 5MP starlight. The term starlight only applies to Dahua.
Read the camera reviews on the forum.

Look at Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup.

General advise start with one variable focus camera, use the test reg to verify the lens size, and mounting position. My test rig: rev.2
Good information, thank you for the help!

So what I'm gathering is that if I buy a rebranded kit, I should go with one that has fewer cameras to save money and then buy the OEM cameras from a vendor to add to my NVR?
Or if I'm a good salesman Which I'm not) get a kit with more cameras to gain a greater discounted price, sell them off to recoup some cost, then buy more OEMs from a vendor?

I never knew there was so much to these cameras until a year ago.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would buy quality parts from a quality vendor and put the system together myself. In my opinion Kits must cut corners someplace to save money. In the camera area, an unperforming NVR, poor quality cables (CCA), lower quality missing feature cameras. Quality vendors will provide support.

For the amount of money you indicated, buy quality.
IP Cam Talk

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those look like they’re this Dahua model from Dahua’s new’sh Lite-AI series:

Dahua rates them as Starlight and their color minimum lux looks similar to the super-popular 2MP Starlights. I haven’t seen anyone here review this model yet.

If it performs as well as the 2MP Starlights then it won’t be a slouch in terms of low-light performance, but the 4MP 5442 models mentioned above should perform even better.

I’ve never really paid much attention to bundles before because I’ve never found a reseller that bundles the latest Dahua kit and because bundles usually have multiples of the same fixed-lens cameras... IMO the term “one size fits all” rarely fits when talking about professional-level security systems.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I reached out to Andy and he replied quick as hell. Just purchased 6 of the Dahau Starlights (IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6MM)
@EMPIRETECANDY is pretty awesome. I just installed my first 5442TM-AS 3.6MM yesterday and am loving it. It replaced a 5231R-Z that I really wasn't have any problems with, but with everyone talking about these 5442s I wanted to get some experience with one. Holy cow what an improvement!

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY is pretty awesome. I just installed my first 5442TM-AS 3.6MM yesterday and am loving it. It replaced a 5231R-Z that I really wasn't have any problems with, but with everyone talking about these 5442s I wanted to get some experience with one. Holy cow what an improvement!
Like we don't know these cameras are already awesome, but be sure to post some pics/video feeds so we can all be jealous! LOL