Monoprice Cat6 recall

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Searched and didn't see this posted. Yesterday Monoprice issued a recall for its Cat6 cable due to fire hazard. I got an email from Amazon today (where I ordered it from) and sure enough, I have 600 feet of this in my house.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try here -

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh geez, I didn't see that thread. Sorry guys. The Amazon email indicated the recall was yesterday.

Please feel free to delete this thread. Apologies.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Searched and didn't see this posted. Yesterday Monoprice issued a recall for its Cat6 cable due to fire hazard. I got an email from Amazon today (where I ordered it from) and sure enough, I have 600 feet of this in my house.

Hi @fullboogie

I'm probably going to leave the cables I installed in place... will have to check the remaining cable I have a determine what to do with that.

Rather disappointed by the news... probably going to see a lot more review of Chinese made products by the US Government in the future ..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This might become a trend where more and more Chinese made products will be flagged

Not sure where the US will be going with this. I have yet to see locally made cables made for cheap. Remember Blue Jeans Cable?

328ft of CAT6 Patch cable is $261.50! That's not even including shipping and handling :eek:

Hi @fullboogie

I'm probably going to leave the cables I installed in place... will have to check the remaining cable I have a determine what to do with that.

Rather disappointed by the news... probably going to see a lot more review of Chinese made products by the US Government in the future ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This might become a trend where more and more Chinese made products will be flagged

Not sure where the US will be going with this. I have yet to see locally made cables made for cheap. Remember Blue Jeans Cable?

328ft of CAT6 Patch cable is $261.50! That's not even including shipping and handling :eek:

FYI - patch cable is not the typical bulk cable we use... patch cable is designed to be more flexible and from the patch panel to the switch or from the wall plate to the computer.
( patch cable should be stranded, bulk we use solid wires.. )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's true, but I couldn't find bulk cable on their website. I know Monoprice sells long patch cables as well, but you can buy 400ft of patch cable from Monoprice for approximately $64

The folks over at Blue Jeans Cable are charging more than 3-4 times the price

FYI - patch cable is not the typical bulk cable we use... patch cable is designed to be more flexible and from the patch panel to the switch or from the wall plate to the computer.
( patch cable should be stranded, bulk we use solid wires.. )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They've been charging too much since the start. Remember, it costs 10 cents per hour to make in a factory somewhere in China ;)
Remember: We the people have been scammed for almost 40 years now

I just looked at the Monoprice bulk cables and their prices look the same to me as a few months ago.

Last edited: