Monitoring an area with power but no internet

Nexit

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to monitor outside a workshop which has power but no internet. I want to rig a camera that can alert if there is movement and allow me to monitor it for short periods. I guess mobile data is the way to go and I have various bits of kit but not sure how to configure it all. I have a wireless camera with good IR which also has an Ethernet connection and a spare phone which I'm wondering if I can connect somehow without spending too much. I also have a USB-C to RG45 adapter and also a portable mini WiFi router. Can I connect this all up somehow and do I need a router, switch or bridge of some sort, and would TinyCamPro be suitable for remote monitoring? I could also put TinyCamPro on the attached phone to send alerts maybe? Any suggestions as to how to do this, or it it not going to work very well anyway? I suppose another option would be a half-mile range extender of some sort, which would probably work much better and not need mobile data but is that feasible? It's not quite line of sight, but it isn't in town.
Thanks for any help.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The easiest for you is to buy a 4G camera, i have that as a wildlife camera and works quite good.

If you should build a link you must have line of sight, if you go by 4G modem you need a public ip address and a vpn server and a videoserver /Blueiris.

Have a look at Reolink Go, thats what i use.

(Reolink is not good as a network camera but ok as a 4G in the forrest)

Brgds TheSwede

Nexit

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TheSwede, it's not far off line of sight just over a hill and maybe around 1/4 mile away. I saw this on Amazon, maybe might work? I'd need two of those, right? I could put them on poles and get as high as possible too. (One review said they had it working over 1 mile range)

Something like that could work, but if there's actually a hill in between you may have to use a sizeable tower / mast to elevate it on both ends.

Is the workshop powered from another building on the property or does it have it's own electric meter? If it's powered from the house, you should try a powerline networking adapter like this

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That link cost more than 4G camera.
Do you have a BlueIris server ?

read about fresnel zones on Wi-Fi links, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesent due to fresnel zones even If there is a slight of free sight.

Try and good luck.

Nexit

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is £229 plus monthly data. The wireless bridge is only about £105 for a pair of units, so if it'd work the bridge would be great with unlimited connection time.

The workshop has it's own electricity supply, so powerline adapters are out, even if they'd work over that distance.

Fresnel zones? Maybe hang some strips of tin foil in a tree on the hill :)

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera is £229 plus monthly data. The wireless bridge is only about £105 for a pair of units, so if it'd work the bridge would be great with unlimited connection time.

The workshop has it's own electricity supply, so powerline adapters are out, even if they'd work over that distance.

Fresnel zones? Maybe hang some strips of tin foil in a tree on the hill :)
what it means is that it has to be some space around the Line of sight.
And is it short distance it Will work fine throu trees as example.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And is it short distance it Will work fine throu trees as example.
But the 5GHz is not as strong/sensitive as the 2.4 thru partial vegetation; 900MHz ideal for that scenario but scarce as hen's teeth and VERY costly.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But the 5GHz is not as strong/sensitive as the 2.4 thru partial vegetation; 900MHz ideal for that scenario but scarce as hen's teeth and VERY costly.
Yes it is since it is lower freq and more ”power”/penetrating.
I guess its less crowded than 2.4 and 5ghz.
2.4 is out of question as a link freq today.
A picture would be good to see the surrounding.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A picture would be good to see the surrounding.
And Google Earth can plot and display an elevation map between 2 points as well, allowing a LOS estimate / installation feasibility.

I've used it to estimate the minimum height of a pole or mast required before I proceed any further, like with a field survey looking at ambient radio interference and background noise.

Nexit

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm tempted to try the wireless link and put the units up on poles. I'll let you know how it works out if I get something running ok.