Money & Economics

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're in the SE, it may pay to inquire at United Community Bank about their Money Market account.
Mrs Bigredfish works there, and while I cant say what your local branch might do, its likely well above their advertised rates and very competitive with CD's but without the restrictions.

United Community Locations

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, they are hiding the true economy with BS made up numbers out of BLS and GDP games along with massive deficit spending.
Unless we get a banking crisis they'll keep the false data coming and hold off the downturn until after the election...if we have one

IF we dont have a banking crisis...

New York Community Bancorp Cut To 'Junk' By Moody's: 33% Of Deposits Uninsured
New York Community Bancorp Cut To 'Junk' By Moody's: 33% Of Deposits Uninsured | ZeroHedge

New York Community Bancorp Collapse Nears 27-Year-Lows After 'Talks With Regulator' Revealed | ZeroHedge

Bank Blow-Up 'Butterflies' Spark Bid For Bonds, Bullion, & Bitcoin | ZeroHedge
You know each time the market crashed, the floor fell out from underneath everyone. Everyone was doing great, so it seemed, and got too comfortable/complaisant. When word got out things truthfully were not what everyone was being told then panic always ensues and wall street goes nuts selling...

After reading what I wrote, it is a known statement. Guess what I was trying to say, a few cry Wolf and no one hears/listens, then comes the Wolf and it is too late. Those not listening got their ears filled with propaganda..."Everything thing is Great!"
The calm before the storm...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, those brokers talking about what a bull market it's gonna be right before the bottom drops out. :rofl:
You know it is kinda like COVID, it is better to do your own research then listen to someone's opinion...
I know many try to follow Warren Buffet and those who are rich but I believe most of what they are doing does not apply to us.

Worked for a company where we were replacing old CAT3 cable to update to a Gig network. I was LAN Mgr., I got several quotes from companies. One day I got a call from corporate to call the companies I got quotes from and get Labor Only quotes. Turns out, one of the Investor's of our company owned a Cable Company and we were told we had to buy cable from them. The Cable ended up costing us 3 times what I was getting in my quotes. Point is, some investments the rich buy is to help other investments, so knowing that their other stocks would benefit because of an inside future job/contract coming down the line, things we would never know. So to truly follow a rich investor you would have to be part of all their stock investments.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Picture I just took in my office from my desk. You can see hanging a framed pic of the "Wall Street Bull" and of course a bull head. It's not so much a "I like a bull market" statement. It's more a warning to me that bulls have pointy horns so you better watch out and that a lot of brokers produce bullshit.

1707314865720.png

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, those brokers talking about what a bull market it's gonna be right before the bottom drops out. :rofl:
Like in 2007/8, just before it crashes, you have many of the talking heads telling you hurry up and get in before it sky rockets :). They want your help to push it up as much as possible so they can get out first.

For taxable stuff, Capital One, Discover and even AMEX have high rate CDs. Ally Bank has a high-rate savings account too (I'm sure there are others, see bankrate.com), better than the 0.1% that banks like Wells, Truist give you.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Surprised that New York Community Bank isn't on the list! :eek:
I know a lot of banks have gimmicks like being tied to direct deposit or APY applies to the first X amount of money then it drops off.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m getting 4.1% on a no restriction Money Market account compounded daily, and 4.75 and 5% (Chase) on two CDs. We have about 1/2 of our cash pile in those and I’m a happy camper

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know a lot of banks have gimmicks like being tied to direct deposit or APY applies to the first X amount of money then it drops off.
Very true, I was being sarcastic about New York Community:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Very true, I was being sarcastic about New York Community:
Ah, their gimmick is money checks in but never checks out. I honestly don't know NYCB but I did see that posted earlier. :facepalm: Jokes on me...LOL!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m getting 4.1% on a no restriction Money Market account compounded daily, and 4.75 and 5% (Chase) on two CDs. We have about 1/2 of our cash pile in those and I’m a happy camper
Our Financial Advisor said now is a good time to buy long-term CDs, since CDs have been dropping and will continue to drop with FEDs lowering interest rates this year. Of course that could all change but to have a steady 5% on your money for the next 5 years is ok with me. ZERO stress for us unless the Banks belly up.
We have Broker CDs, they are sellable incase of an emergency, you only lose in selling them if the going rate of CDs are higher than your CD. We did a CD Ladder last year Sept. (1 year 4.3%, 2 year 4.35%, 3 year 4.45% & 4 year 4.5% CDs). The 3 and 4 year CDs presently are still in the positive and can be sold for a profit, I am guessing because they are long term even though you can get better rates now?
Plus we have liquid cash in a Money Market that is making 4.96 % but this is predicted to drop this year.

1707421332685.png

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice,
I have to rollover one CD next week and another in March. To get 5% from Chase I can only go 9-12 months. I will have to look around and see what wife's little bank will do on say a 2yr. I dont know if I'm comfortable going any longer than that

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
$2.7 Trillion Buys "Spectacular" GDP
$2.7 Trillion Buys "Spectacular" GDP | ZeroHedge

GDP vs Wealth
Remember that GDP isn’t measuring wealth, it’s measuring spending — production which is sold.
As Megan McArdle put it, GDP “counts the dollar value of our output, but not the actual improvement in our lives, or even in our economic condition.”
For example, if you dig holes and fill them, it’s GDP. In fact, you could build a missile, blow up the Golden Gate Bridge and every house within 5 miles of it, and it shows up as GDP. The missile cost money after all, and the government paid for it.

Of course, mainstream media — indeed, mainstream economics — pretends that GDP is identical to wealth. Pumping out articles celebrating GDP as prosperity.

That’s close enough when it’s private firms or individuals producing more to sell more — in that case, rising GDP means the country is getting richer. Because more stuff is being produced.
But it’s actually the opposite when it’s government spending. Because government’s job is taking wealth and lighting it on fire. That means when GDP is growing from government spending it’s not measuring wealth.

It’s measuring dissipation of wealth at best, destruction of wealth at worst.

Essentially, the pace at which we’re going Soviet, replacing private wealth with government waste.
So translating that brave and stunning GDP into the real world, we’re destroying wealth at rates not seen since 2008.

This actually lines up with what we’ve seen in jobs — in a recent video I mentioned that over half the jobs last year were actually government and government-related social service jobs.

In some states it was literally more than all the jobs created — in other words, the private sector is shrinking.
All these government jobs, of course, are unproductive — they’re not making us more prosperous as a society.
On the contrary, they’re taking wealth earned from productive activities and squandering them on vote-buying or worse — think of the wealth-destruction contained in a single EPA bureaucrat.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice,
I have to rollover one CD next week and another in March. To get 5% from Chase I can only go 9-12 months. I will have to look around and see what wife's little bank will do on say a 2yr. I dont know if I'm comfortable going any longer than that
You may want to check broker CDs, you get better rates because they buy in bulk...We use Fidelity...real easy to create an account there..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
For now, I prefer to keep a certain amount liquid as is possible so I'm in Fidelity mutual funds at around 5%. Maximizing interest while remaining liquid. It is true that 5% mutual funds may not last a long time so it makes sense that some folks prefer to lock in rates via CDs. I just hate like heck locking in for 1 or two years if I can avoid it. I realize you can always get out of the CD if you really need to. On the one hand I just said I like to stay liquid as possible but on the other hand I do in fact have long investments. Ones that go 1.5 years to 7 years. However, the 1.5 year investments are returning 10 to 12% (trust deed investments). Yes, higher risk than CDs. The 7 year investments are looking like 22% return (private equity real estate). It's one of those things you cannot nail down 100% the return until the deal is done. Again, higher risk than CDs but higher risk than trust deeds. Again, risk vs reward.

What I'm really interested in and why I monitor this thread is I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the plan for "shit hits the fan" scenario. I'm not talking about water, food, shelter. I'm taking about beyond that regarding your wealth if we can survive the SHF splatter. People talk about preserving their wealth with gold/silver but I'm not convinced that's very practical. If someone holds your gold/silver what's to say the safe wont' be empty when you try to pick up your bars. If you choose to physically own it then good luck trying to hold $100,000+ worth of silver. That's a lot of metal to sit on especially if you find the need to be mobile. You can't eat gold/silver. Not practical to carry around a file to shave some off some gold to pay for goods. When people find you have gold/silver good luck defending it from armed mobs. Ya gonna bury it and have a secret map where X marks the spot?

Is the answer land ownership? When SHF event is over you can reclaim your right to land which holds value? I think there are different levels of economic difficultly one may expect. For a recession/depression then gold/silver might be the answer. But, somewhere between that and a great catastrophic pandemic, huge natural disaster (the big one hits the west), civil war, EMP attack, invasion (think the movie Wolverines) earthly or other, etc. What is the answer? Maybe it all falls back to water, food, shelter in the end and be grateful (or maybe not) just to be alive damn the lost wealth?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the plan for "shit hits the fan" scenario.
I'll comment! If the internet goes down, hardly anybody will be able to access any of they money held by any financial institution. The days of paper records at your local bank or credit union are gone. Whether or not you lose it all in the long term is one question. For the short term, the only things that will work are cash on hand and barter items. There are all sorts of barter items suggested, including food, liquor and cigarettes. On my own I'm thinking toilet paper would be good. That seems to be the first thing panicked over when there's a supply disruption. Another barter item that might work is junk silver, assuming you can find people who understand and accept its value. With gold, there are fractional ounce coins that would be easier to barter with. Their downside is they cost a pretty high premium over their bullion value. What is best to have depends a lot on how hard the S has hit the F. As you said, in the worst case all that will have any value is food, water, and shelter. And if word gets out that you have any of that, you might also need ammo to keep it.

The other thing I think about is what happens when the dollar collapses? That's inevitable. I've been predicting it every day for at least 30 years, just ahead of my time! Once the smoke clears, I envision a new monetary system and the big dollar holdings will be severely devalued. In other words, if you have a lot of digits in financial institutions, you're screwed. So the question for me is how to you carry your assets from the old system to the new system without losing them? I don't have the answer, just possibilities: Real estate, precious metals, liquor, cars and/or trucks, a large supply of 5442s. ammo,...? I'm really bad are foreseeing things like this. Once this happens, the cash on hand that saved you in the short term will become worthless. My best thinking is to diversify your assets, knowing you're going to lose part, maybe most of them. You just don't know which part until after the stuff happens.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Let's be 100% honest here. If the REAL SHTF, I don't care what you have, you're screwed. Think zombie apocalypse. Seriously... When food runs out (majority of households don't have 3 days on hand), there will be hordes of people, en masse, coming for yours. They'll have wives and kids to feed with nothing to lose when theirs runs out.. The best weapon you have is community, which is pretty much impossible to come by any more... sorry...