Money & Economics

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So a family member bought 10 acres a little over a year ago. He can sell it for double what he bought it for today. We have looked at the 1000 acre ranch that was sold and have witnessed many lots were bought and sold close to if not double. We missed out on that deal. He pays $15 a year in property taxes on the property with AG , it is off a county road with county water and high speed Internet. Only needs a septic tank...he is having a house built on it.

Anyway, he pulled most of his money out of the stock market to purchase this second home.

We are seeing a lot of these ranch/farms becoming development communities lately. I know there has always been things like this but since so many now work from home, the High Speed Internet is a big sale now out in these areas who had only satellite Internet.

1681871026921.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Man I passed Centerville probably hundreds of times back in the 80s doing the Dallas-Houston-SA-Austin-Dallas triangle run almost weekly. (Was a Regional Sales Manager) .
lots of areas like that in S Central TX I wish I’d had the foresight to look at.
Loved the Brenham area off 290 on the way between Houston and Austin too..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
A lot of people just assume they can buy a chunk of acreage and get an ag exemption then pay next to nothing on property tax. Unfortunately, a lot of Counties are short on revenue for their woke projects and are cracking down on ag exemptions. I have my own story about this for the 12 acres I purchased back in 2004. Be prepared to make your case you are operating a bona fide ag business. My ag exemption made my tax about $100 per year instead of $8,000+ but it wasn't a given and the operation was checked several times per year. I sold that property a few years ago when unsolicited I was offered a tidy sum from a developer.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of people just assume they can buy a chunk of acreage and get an ag exemption then pay next to nothing on property tax. Unfortunately, a lot of Counties are short on revenue for their woke projects and are cracking down on ag exemptions. I have my own story about this for the 12 acres I purchased back in 2004. Be prepared to make your case you are operating a bonifide ag business. My ag exemption made my tax about $100 per year instead of $8,000+ but it wasn't a given and the operation was checked several times per year. I sold that property a few years ago when unsolicited I was offered a tidy sum from a developer.
Yep, we will see over time for our family member. The way he explained it was since the 1000 acre ranch has the AG somehow that is grandfathered in for the lots they sold. One thing I know, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually turns out bad.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as the property has 10 acres, 1 acre is deducted for the home. Now all one needs is
something related to AG. So people are putting up 10 bee hives to keep the AG deduction.

BTW
10 is the minimum number of hives.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep those credit scores up people, saves you money!!!

View attachment 160610

Is Biden's Credit Score Screw Job On Mortgage Pricing Even Legal?
Is Biden's Credit Score Screw Job On Mortgage Pricing Even Legal? | ZeroHedge

New Rule: The Better Your Credit Score the Higher Your Mortgage Rate

Please consider New Rule: The Better Your Credit Score the Higher Your Mortgage Rate
Under the new rules, high-credit buyers with scores ranging from 680 to above 780 will see a spike in their mortgage costs – with applicants who place 15% to 20% down payment experiencing the biggest increase in fees.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is Biden's Credit Score Screw Job On Mortgage Pricing Even Legal?
Is Biden's Credit Score Screw Job On Mortgage Pricing Even Legal? | ZeroHedge

New Rule: The Better Your Credit Score the Higher Your Mortgage Rate

Please consider New Rule: The Better Your Credit Score the Higher Your Mortgage Rate
Under the new rules, high-credit buyers with scores ranging from 680 to above 780 will see a spike in their mortgage costs – with applicants who place 15% to 20% down payment experiencing the biggest increase in fees.
This is ludicrous, it shows the Stupidly of The Left.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe, I’m a bit late with the reply, but I’d like to chime in as I completely agree that it's a topic that is fundamental to our society but can also be quite complex and intimidating. It's great that you're sharing your own experiences and lessons learned, as I believe we can all benefit from each other's perspectives and insights.
Bot much?