Mobile Car Surveillance - Webcam no audio

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I am setting up BlueIris as a dashcam / full car surveillance system and cannot get audio from my USB webcams to work.

If I try and enable audio the stream then stops with - no signal 80004005 () 1006.

I have chosen to use 5 x 2MP webcams for this setup as they will draw power directly from the micro PC's USB ports. The specs of the micro PC are fine. All within the requirements for the number of cameras etc.

I was going to use 5 x 12v IP Cameras. However, decided against this as I would then need a switch, and would need to power the switch and cameras.... additional cabling.

I settled on the micro PC and USB cameras as I then only need to power the PC. Which is done via the car having appropriate power.... DC to DC charge, 300W solar, 100ah lithium battery.......

The system will work perfectly if I can just get audio to work with these particular webcams.

Windows and Blueiris detect the cameras as "USB 2.0 Camera". Video works perfectly. Only an issue with enabling audio as it does not seem to detect the webcam as an audio device.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From BI's "Help":

Source
IP camera stream is the proper selection for most network IP cameras. Firewire cameras once offered a multiplexed audio-video stream, and for this you would select DirectShow camera. Otherwise, most USB cameras actually use separate devices for audio and video and you must select the audio device here with Other DirectShow device.
BI-wecam_audio-directshow.png

Last edited:

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
From BI's "Help":

Source
IP camera stream is the proper selection for most network IP cameras. Firewire cameras once offered a multiplexed audio-video stream, and for this you would select DirectShow camera. Otherwise, most USB cameras actually use separate devices for audio and video and you must select the audio device here with Other DirectShow device.
I have tried all those options with the same result.

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
Solution found. These particular webcams "USB 2.0 Webcam" are not compatible with Windows 10/11 and Blueiris.

I have downgraded to Windows 7

I then select "Other Direct Show Device" and then select "WDM List"

(I could not select "WDM List" in Windows 11 as it would immediately crash the Blue Iris app in both v4 and v5)

So I am currently happy, this project will have Blue Iris running in my car with 5 x Webcam to capture 360 degrees from the car as well as an internal camera.

JohnSm

n3wb
Reaction score
EDITED BY FENDERMAN - @JohnSm is a spammer pretending to be and end user. Do not use this junk.

I tried to do the same but I was concerned about how these cameras will do in the heat of summer. So I defaulted to some dash cams. They are powered by the car battery and optimized to reduce power consumption and they have a low battery power cut-off so they never completely drain my battery. I am using a Viofo A129 and A 139 dash cams that streams and records its video stream to my phone. On my phone I have running an app I found on google app store called Birds ai view : Bird's Ai View - Apps on Google Play. The app connects to my dash cam, records the stream and issues notifications when a person gets too close to the car. If you choose to it will also trigger an alarm on person detection. The nice part is that I can use it when there is no internet connection available and if you have an RV it can be set up to turn on your radio when it detects people near your rig even when you are off grid.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to do the same but I was concerned about how these cameras will do in the heat of summer. So I defaulted to some dash cams. They are powered by the car battery and optimized to reduce power consumption and they have a low battery power cut-off so they never completely drain my battery. I am using a Viofo A129 and A 139 dash cams that streams and records its video stream to my phone. On my phone I have running an app I found on google app store called Birds ai view : Bird's Ai View - Apps on Google Play. The app connects to my dash cam, records the stream and issues notifications when a person gets too close to the car. If you choose to it will also trigger an alarm on person detection. The nice part is that I can use it when there is no internet connection available and if you have an RV it can be set up to turn on your radio when it detects people near your rig even when you are off grid.
I would not trust the developer of this app. Delete it and remove it from your phone.

Last edited:

JohnSm

n3wb
Reaction score
I used it for a month now and it uses no internet bandwidth unless I choose to watch commercials. So far so good