Mobile App

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You have no idea just how much a person is involved in the security space. Telling someone there’s no reason to not use P2P is not sound advice. It’s always better if you are going to give options, to list the pros and cons of each. I couldn’t tell if your post was tongue in cheek so I took a chance and put a smiley on it but now it’s more apparent that you weren’t kidding. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
You have no idea just how much a person is involved in the security space. Telling someone there’s no reason to not use P2P is not sound advice. It’s always better if you are going to give options, to list the pros and cons of each. I couldn’t tell if your post was tongue in cheek so I took a chance and put a smiley on it but now it’s more apparent that you weren’t kidding. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The user avspin said you are “opening yourself up” by using P2P, but if you do so over OpenVPN you’re magically immune from compromise. It’s just a ridiculous assumption that by transferring your trust from one set of code to another you’re somehow enhancing your security. OpenVPN can certainly be hardened with MFA, but at the cost of convenience when your threat model may not even necessitate it. The blanket statement that P2P is inappropriate for everyone is what I take issue with.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
transferring your trust from one set of code to another you’re somehow enhancing your security
This bs just show that you dont understand what is going on.

Their is a huge difference between using your OWN controlled server at home and using HIKVISION/DAHUA controlled server.
Both are using AWS. So all your data is not only under control from hikvision/dahua (and the chinese government) , it is also under control by us government because of the cloud act.

So if that plus the fact that maybe someone can connect to your devices directly doesnt count for you, then feel free to use p2p.
It would be easier to just break into your house, steal the harddrives from nvr/server and run away rather than breaking into an openvpn server

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use both the gDMSS and DMSS-App.

I use DMSS for notifications and playback.

gDMSS "autoplays" the latest cameras you looked at, this is a feature DMSS (to my knowledge) still is lacking - so for quickly checking your camera gDMSS is way better as it starts in a second. With DMSS you need one additional click inside the app.

Personally I feel that gDMSS is quicker and more responsive.
So, depending of what you want to do I'll recommend you both apps :)
^^This is exactly my thoughts regarding both apps. I use both for this same reason on my iPhone. Couple days ago I accidently updated the DMSS to version 1.94.000 Build Date 2021.08.21 and now I no longer get the IVS push notifications to my phone. Tried deleting the app, deleting and drawing the IVS rules again, rebooting all cameras NVR modem router and no longer getting push notifications. :banghead:
Stupid me should've known to never update the apps when it is working.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like @civic17, I updated DMSS to version 1.94.000 Build 2021.08.21 and have lost IVS push notifications from my NVR. It use to work without an account. So to test, I created an account, but it still does not work. However, I subscribed to alarms from my cameras and I am getting the IVS notifications from my cameras - though I cannot view the video when I click on the notification. When the IVS were working from my NVR subscription in the app, I could click on the notification and then view the video of the event. I am not using P2P and all inbound ports are blocked, all Dahua domains associated with P2P are blocked in PiHole and only allow outbound ports for email and notifications. I use OpenVPN to access the cameras. Perhaps something on the NVR firmware requires updating since the cameras notifications are working? I am using a DH-NVR4108-P-4KS2:

NVRVersion.png