missing video DS-2CD2542FWD-IS and DS-2CD2342WD-I

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys

All the hardware is UK stock.

I have had my set-up for a couple of weeks and I have a problem and I think it may have something to do with my settings. This concerns both my cameras. DS-2CD2542FWD-IS located at the front door and DS-2CD2342WD-I in the garden

I have noticed two things. When someone comes to my door or i go to the garden the picture freezes occasionally. I can see a frozen picture of the person standing there and then it jumps once the person is not in view of the camera any more. This is during live view. This happens to both cameras.

Second problem is similar to the first. When I go to play previous footage, the same thing happens. One minute the person is nowhere to be seen, and the next it has jumped completely and they are standing at my door or i only see a second of them. I don't see their car parking up or them walking to my door just them standing there. Same thing happens to my garden camera.

I am using cat6 solid copper cable.

My setting for the both cameras are as below only the turret has no audio.

Stream Type - Main stream normal
Video Type - video&audio
Resolution - 2688*1520
Bitrate Type - variable
Video Quality - highest
Frame Rate fps - 20
Max. Bitrate - 6144kbps (greyed out)
Video Encoding - h264
H.264+ - On

I only have two cameras attached to my 4 channel nvr DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A.

I understand if more then one camera is attached to the DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A it will only record at 1080p is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had video tearing and jumping with bad patch cables. The plastic anvil on my crimper cracked once (good tools are worth their weight in gold) and was giving me some bad crimps which led to bad cables. Sometimes the cam wouldn't function at all and other times it'd work but give me video tearing issues. Had me scratching my head until I looked closely at the crimper. I just moved some stuff around a couple of weeks ago and hooked up the start of another system with one of my old cables. Bad video with tearing and jumping at motion events so I replaced the one I'd made a while ago with another one. Problem solved.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply. Will check the cables and connectors.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Checked my wiring and even tried different cables and its still the same.

Went into the garden where one camera is and tried playback. During playback it completely missed me going into the garden. I noticed during the playback it actually missed out the part where I was in the garden. The playback just stopped.

The camera facing the road, one example is i just saw a car park up during playback but no one got out. It completely skipped that part?

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok changed the settings to 1920*1080p and it seems to work properly now. It picked me up going into the garden.

What is causing the issue with the higher resolution?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't run mine on standalone NVRs so can't help you there. Did you by chance crank the wdr setting way up? Try resetting the camera to default image settings and see if that helps.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have defaulted all the settings on both the cameras and the nvr. This made no difference. WDR is off. Apart from the settings at the top everything is default. I have not played around with any settings for video/image.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something wrong there, you don't have to run 4MP at 2MP, otherwise you'd have been better off buying 2MP cameras originally.

Did you check the connectors?

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes double checked them. The cables are all good. When I'm running at full resolution it misses things that's what I do t understand. Could it be my Internet connection?or the bitrate even though I haven't changed any of the bit rate settings.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you've doublechecked you cables, reset things to default, and plugged directly to the nvr then I'd say you should talk to your reseller if it is only a couple of weeks old. Your internet speed doesn't matter because as I'm picturing your system nothing is traveling over the Internet, just directly to the nvr or possibly a switch to the nvr.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the held lads.

I have set the bitrate to constant 8124 I think it is now. Will see how I get on. So far it seems to be working better.

Next step I am going to disable motion detection to see if that helps.

So far the conclusion I have come to is that it may be a problem with my nvr.

I'm just trying to rule out everything one by one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes connectors have been redone just to be on the safe side I also replaced the cable with new.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another issue I noticed was during playback I was trying to see how much detail I could see. I could see a lot of blur motion as they were walking. Please see video, what adjustment do i have to make to make the videos/playback more smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another issue I noticed was during playback I was trying to see how much detail I could see. I could see a lot of blur motion as they were walking. Please see video, what adjustment do i have to make to make the videos/playback more smooth.

Pretty close to sunset time so the shutter speed probably decreased automatically to keep the image bright.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I played back a few other videos during the day between 1pm-4pm and had the same problem.

These are my settings for the camera in question. [h=2]DS-2CD2542FWD-IS[/h]
Stream Type - Main stream normal
Video Type - video&audio
Resolution - 2688*1520
Bitrate Type - constant
Video Quality - highest
Frame Rate fps - 20
Max. Bitrate - 8192kbps (greyed out)
Video Encoding - h264
H.264+ - On

All other settings are default for the image, exposure time, noise reduction etc, have not changed anything.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE: Freezing, skipping issue now solved. I disabled h.264+ and the issue has gone away. I dont know why this was causing it but after disabling h.264+ no more freezing, skipping etc

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have H.264+ on mine and don't suffer from any of these problems. If it's affecting both cameras then I'd say there is something wrong with the NVR. You should e-mail the e-seller on this one, they are really good with swapping out anything that's wrong.

I have the exact same settings for my DS-2CD2542FWD-IS so I'm stumped for why!

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I will look into it with them.

Have you got h.264+ switched on?

Is this setting an individual setting on the nvr as I know in the camera configuration it can be switched on or off.

Is there a way to narrow it down? What I mean is tone make sure it's not the cameras and definitely the nvr.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Secondly I just wanted to to confirm. Both my cameras are running the latest firmware 5.3.6. Nvr is also running the latest firmware.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have H.264+ switched on both in the camera and the NVR. Setting the NVR switches it on in the camera too.

Latest firmware doesn't mean crap with Hikvision and bugs btw.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update. Disabling h.264+plus fixes the issue. Hikvision have been notified by the official distributor to hopefully release a firmware with a bug fix.