Minimum Requirements?

KayJay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, All.

I'm seriously thinking of entering the BI World but have a few questions first:

What Windows version is best? I have a choice of Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 on the various candidates to run BI.

What PC h/w would be able to run BI? Again, I have a Core 2 Duo, an i3, i5 and a couple of i7s; I "think" I'd like to use the lowest spec possible, to free the others for various other uses. On the other hand, it would be silly not to give the software a decent hardware platform. They all have a minimum of 4GB RAM and 500GB and upwards HDDs.

Disk-wise, I'm wavering between installing a second HDD into the chosen PC or using my Synology NAS - any thoughts?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

Edit: I've just found the BI minimum requirements information, lurking on the Download page....

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@KayJay i3/i5/i7 is a meaningless designation without the EXACT model number. The type of system you need will depend on the number of cameras, their respective resolutions and frame rates.

bsk997

n3wb
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing.
Is there a general guideline of say this CPU with passmark xxxx will handle 4 1080p streams at 20fps, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing.
Is there a general guideline of say this CPU with passmark xxxx will handle 4 1080p streams at 20fps, etc.
No there is not, because passmark is not very reliable with respect to how a processor will perform. You can read threads and see what others post as their numbers.
In general, you want a haswell/skylake i5 or i7 using intel hd graphics..a haswell i5-4590 system can be had for 300 dollars an i7-4790 for under 500. Search the forum for optiplex/elitedesk