Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dont have an SD card in the camera, I'd need that no?
Nope - just login to the web interface and grab a snapshot via that interface using the camera icon at the top right which (for me) is a multi-megabyte PNG.

In another tab at about the same time, hit this URL - USERNAMEcolonPASSWORDampersandIP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi - which (for me) is a several hundred KByte JPEG.

As discussed in that thread (with images examples), the JPEG is MUCH worse quality that one would expect from compressing PNG, plus it's lightened up. More obvious at night, but noticeable during the day.

I can't imagine the Z4 S3 would be different since I think it's only a different lens. FYI that I'm running the recent firmware from Andy on my T54IR-ZE-S3.

TIA @bigredfish ... and anyone else that can do this simple test.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Parley - have you tried one of those bad boys in color yet LOL?

Here is why I think you may be able to do it.

Here was simply switching mine to color from B/W with a 1/500 shutter. Granted this one was aided by the plate bulb, but with just a little more light, I think it is possible.

With some digital zoom I can make some decent guesses at the plate. Not enough that I would run the camera this way, but I certainly think in the right environment this camera is capable of getting color plates.

Color plate.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope - just login to the web interface and grab a snapshot via that interface using the camera icon at the top right which (for me) is a multi-megabyte PNG.

In another tab at about the same time, hit this URL - USERNAMEcolonPASSWORDampersandIP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi - which (for me) is a several hundred KByte JPEG.

As discussed in that thread (with images examples), the JPEG is MUCH worse quality that one would expect from compressing PNG, plus it's lightened up. More obvious at night, but noticeable during the day.

I can't imagine the Z4 S3 would be different since I think it's only a different lens. FYI that I'm running the recent firmware from Andy on my T54IR-ZE-S3.

Yep roger that but cant do it with the internal NVR PoE cameras, theyre on 10.1.1.x
I'll hook the Z4 up to a switch tomorrow.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley - have you tried one of those bad boys in color yet LOL?

Here is why I think you may be able to do it.

Here was simply switching mine to color from B/W with a 1/500 shutter. Granted this one was aided by the plate bulb, but with just a little more light, I think it is possible.

With some digital zoom I can make some decent guesses at the plate. Not enough that I would run the camera this way, but I certainly think in the right environment this camera is capable of getting color plates.

View attachment 180600
I won't order mine until after the 1st of the year. Lots of expenses being Christmas and all. Plus, I just bought two of Andy's cameras for LP duty. As I said I will put it in the 1F spot to replace the standard 5442E-Z4E that is now in that location. However, I will initially set it up as a license plate camera and see how it does in color. I do have a security light that I had previously somewhat shielded that can add more light in the direction that the camera is pointing if need be. It will be an interesting experiment. Your photo looks very promising.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

OK I hooked up inside for a burn in and grabbed the two images.
H.264.H
10240 CBR, 30FPS
General codec

Default using Edge in IE mode for the snapshot from the live view was BMP for some reason, which I then opened and saved as a .png (BMP wont display here)
11.7MB .png
192.168.1.108_ch_1_20231222_213551.png

Then snagged from the cgi-bin call and saved as .jpg 247KB
snapshot-2.jpg

Pretty obvious difference...which is what I would expect.

Not sure of why we should think they would be the same or why images that different in file size/compression but same dimensions should be?
Is there something in the Dahua documentation or manuals that say to expect better from the low res cgi-bin image? or that cgi-bin should use the full res image?
I can only guess that its a less intensive process for the camera to save the low res image?
I'm not much of a coder/programmer and dont know the use case need or what is expected.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK I hooked up inside for a burn in and grabbed the two images.
H.264.H
10240 CBR, 30FPS
General codec

Default using Edge in IE mode for the snapshot from the live view was BMP for some reason, which I then opened and saved as a .png (BMP wont display here)
11.7MB .png
View attachment 180782

Then snagged from the cgi-bin call and saved as .jpg 247KB
View attachment 180780

Pretty obvious difference...which is I would expect.

Not sure of why we should think they would be the same or why images that different in file size/compression but same dimensions should be?
Is there something in the Dahua documentation or manuals that say to expect better from the low res cgi-bin image? or that cgi-bin should use the full res image?
I can only guess that its a less intensive process for the camera to save the low res image?
I'm not much of a coder/programmer and dont know the use case need or what is expected.
Reminds me of RAW images...

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish for doing this. Maybe it's because I'm a photographer, but the banding just jumps out at me as absolutely terrible from the API image. Yes, you would obviously expect some drop in image quality, but seems like waayyy more than one would expect.

I pulled the PNG into Photoshop and saved it as a JPEG with the same size (quality 55 ... since image has a lot of similar tones). I then cropped the lower left hand corner to compare those three images.

This demonstrates exactly what I'm seeing - is there any doubt that the API image looks MUCH worse ... even though the "saved JPEG" is the same size?

Web-v-PS-v-API.jpg

Web-v-PS-v-API.gif

Last edited:

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's doubly frustrating about the poor qualify of the JPEG from the API call is that the camera clearly has a sensor, lens, etc. to generate a pretty darn image ... so there is something goofy going on in the image processing software. Also see the examples I show in this thread.

As a programmer, I bet if someone knowledgeable about the API call looked at it, they would find an easily fixable boo-boo somewhere. Bonus points if they added an option to specify the qualify (and size!) of the requested JPEG ... as other vendors do.

To be clear, I LIKE the camera - Amazon literally just delivered another one an hour ago! ;-)

P.S. Here's the full-size 247KByte that I generated from pulling the 12 MByte PNG into Photoshop and saving as quality 55 - nothing else. This is basically what the camera should be doing internally.
192.168.1-247KByte.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A little update from last night. I have to say traffic was unusually heavy. I was checking my LPR cameras from around 5pm to 7:30 pm and I would say around 250 cars went by. There was no let up. Anyways I am happy to report that Andy's cameras did not miss a beat. What one camera did not get the next one did. I will order a 5th one after the first of the year. I will put it in a spot where I can also try it out for LP reading in color at night. Post 160 has a picture of that location.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been working on my 1F location where Andy's new BR541R-Z4E S3 camera is going to go. I have moved the camera a little to hide it better from the passerby's. I also took the shield off the security light I have so that it will shine in that direction. Tonight, I adjusted the present 5442E-Z4E to see how it would work getting license plates. If the plate is pretty much head on it works. I have the HLC set to 50. This gives me hope for Andy's camera. Here is a picture from tonight.

122623 Night Color License Plate.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been working on my 1F location where Andy's new BR541R-Z4E S3 camera is going to go. I have moved the camera a little to hide it better from the passerby's. I also took the shield off the security light I have so that it will shine in that direction. Tonight, I adjusted the present 5442E-Z4E to see how it would work getting license plates. If the plate is pretty much head on it works. I have the HLC set to 50. This gives me hope for Andy's camera. Here is a picture from tonight.

View attachment 180989
That is awesome!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I now have a B54IR-Z4E S3.
It's temp mounted, as I need to experiment to find the best location for it.
Anyway, after throwing it up quickly, and doing some rudimentary setting changes, we have this.
Distance to target is a bit too far at 150' but still getting decent results.
Currently using the same settings day & night.
1/2000
H264H
15FPS

These are stills captured by BI via tripwire.
TestCam 2023-12-30 12.46.18.0 AM.jpg TestCam 2023-12-30 01.10.43.0 PM.jpg TestCam 2023-12-30 12.22.47.28 PM.jpg
TestCam 2023-12-30 12.46.18.108 AM.jpg

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I now have a B54IR-Z4E S3.
It's temp mounted, as I need to experiment to find the best location for it.
Anyway, after throwing it up quickly, and doing some rudimentary setting changes, we have this.
Distance to target is a bit too far at 150' but still getting decent results.
Currently using the same settings day & night.
1/2000
H264H
15FPS

These are stills captured by BI via tripwire.
View attachment 181266 View attachment 181267 View attachment 181268
View attachment 181269
This is a definite upgrade from the prior version. I can't wait to get mine installed whenever I get the free time.

Should we take up a donation for you to renew your BI? :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a definite upgrade from the prior version. I can't wait to get mine installed whenever I get the free time.

Should we take up a donation for you to renew your BI? :)
I'm running this cam on a sperate test system and still waiting on support to tell me how to purchase a second license. :)