Mini PTZ comparison question

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a small ptz camera in the back yard. The purpose of this camera will be just to view. It will not be hooked up to BI. I want something the wife can easily pull up to watch the kids in the pool if she wants. It will not be on the BI network. The plan is to hook it up to the main network. I may put in a card for motion recording. The DH-SD22204UE-GN-W is available and looks to fit what I'm looking for. The fact it is wireless seems to be a bonus for my specific purpose. It's not a critical camera so the occasional drop off is acceptable. The wireless means I only need to run power. It also happens to be at a good price in a few days. There is always a light turned on on the back porch and more lights when people are in the pool.

With respect to wireless and my specific application, I can make any camera wireless with a wifi extender that has an ethernet port and a power injector. In fact, I tested a camera for months like this with no issues and no noticeable drop offs.

Given the upcoming sale and the refurbished available now, I have a few other options but they involve making them wireless.
SD1A404XB-GNR - about the same price and includes IR but 4mp on the same size sensor
SD1A203T-GN - includes IR but less zoom and a little more than 1.5x the price
SD22404T-GN - a little bit cheaper but 4mp on the same size sensor

Is there any compelling reason, given my specific use of this camera, why I should consider one of the options?

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SD1A404XB-GNR - about the same price and includes IR but 4mp on the same size sensor
I've got one of these Mini PTZ's. It is an awesome little unit.
At night time it does struggle with motion blur, but primarily at full zoom (smaller aperture size).

My biggest issue is it's accuracy to go back to a preset. often it will tilt down further than the preset position. That's understable given how limited the space is inside and gearing.... if you want an accurate PTZ you buy a bigger model.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got one of these Mini PTZ's. It is an awesome little unit.
At night time it does struggle with motion blur, but primarily at full zoom (smaller aperture size).

My biggest issue is it's accuracy to go back to a preset. often it will tilt down further than the preset position. That's understable given how limited the space is inside and gearing.... if you want an accurate PTZ you buy a bigger model.
I have the same camera and found the preset "drift" does happen from time to time.

Personally, I should have gotten the 2MP version, SD1A203T-GN, as the colour image at night is still a bit dark for my liking despite having lots of light.

Still happy with the camera. The face detection does quite well.

Reaction score
I have the SD1A203T-GN on the inside of my home. It is in a bookcase overlooking my kitchen table and covers the back door. Works OK for what I want.

SD1A203T-GN night.jpg

I have two of the SD12203T-GN cams (no IR) that are charged with overview work from second story windows. Mounted inside the windows and overlook my driveway and the corner street intersection. These have worked out quite well and stay in color at night due to good street lighting there.

Driveway Window  2.7 mm night.jpg Driveway Window 2.7 mm.jpg

InkedFront Corner 2023-07-13 09.36.10.386 PM.jpg InkedFront Corner 2023-07-14 03.21.14.896 PM.jpg

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.