Mini PC?

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I decide to go with a Blue Iris system I will need a PC. Would one of the fanless mini PCs from Ali-Express work? How would I connect a 2TB hard drive? Can it connect through a USB port?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are not designed for 24/7 constant use and will slow down CPU tremendously as it gets hot.

USB and the 24/7 demands of surveillance video is not a good match. I tried it once with two cameras and it was failing within minutes and not able to keep up.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't do it.
We've just spent a month with some guy from Australia, who insisted on doing this, and he had all kinds of problems. Then he just disappeared. He may have lost his mind.
Thermal throttling, can reduce Throughput which can cause problems.
There might be cases where somebody who was PC savvy made it work with a light load,,,,

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Don't do it.
We've just spent a month with some guy from Australia, who insisted on doing this, and he had all kinds of problems. Then he just disappeared. He may have lost his mind.
Thermal throttling, can reduce Throughput which can cause problems.
There might be cases where somebody who was PC savvy made it work with a light load,,,,
Oh man, that sounds like a good read, can you link me to that? I must've missed it.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to ensure that it will run Win 11 (Win 10 end of life is 2025), then you should look at an 8th generation CPU (i.e. i7-8700) or newer. The J1900 is old, was good for a pfSense firewall, Home Assistant, etc., another words something that doesn't need much power.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't load Win11 on it, stick withWin10 for now. There have been too many reports of problems with Blue Iris and Win11 so give Blue Iris some time to get things worked out. Personally, I'll be sticking with Win10 for as long as possible. Win11 isn't my idea of an actual improvement and is even more intrusive than Win10. It is also a good idea to shut off updates in Win10.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh man, that sounds like a good read, can you link me to that? I must've missed it.
maybe be other posts from him.
@wittaj

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Reaction score
Ahhh, yes, thanks brah....I recall the thread quite well, I just didn't realize it was a mini PC, I do remember he insisted that his 2.5 should be fine. Anyway, yes, I have also been wondering what happened to his situation and was very curious.

Thanks again for linking.