Millions of APC Smart-UPS devices vulnerable to TLStorm

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
"If you're managing a smart model from ubiquitous uninterrupted power supply (UPS) device brand APC, you need to apply updates now – a set of three critical vulnerabilities are making Smart-UPS devices a possible entry point for network infiltration."

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess we should be happy that consumer-level UPS never have network interfaces. :(

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Much to that point... when I do come across folks with a UPS between their home computer and the wall outlet, I seldom see even the USB cable connecting the UPS to their PC for auto shutdown purposes :idk:

I know there are several members here that have the higher end UPS set-ups, and felt it worthy of sharing.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
APC makes good UPS units. I had a Pro1500 that was warrantied for 3 years that went DOA on me during a severe thunderstorm just shy of the 36 month mark. Called them up and they shipped me a brand new UPS for free with another 3 year warranty on it and paid for the shipping to send my dead unit back to them. When it is time for me to upgrade again in a year or two, I'll buy another APC unit. Their customer service is second to none.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
$JOBs used APC UPSs for years, mostly SmartUPS in the 1200-3000 VA range... I experienced way too many battery over-charges, 2-3 year old batteries all swollen due to lack of proper charge management.

I'm a big fan of Eaton PowerWare UPS, especially the online true sine wave ones.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OT, but I got a 2000W Pure SIne inverter from Renogy and installed it in my RV. Right now, it just powers a dedicated outlet(*). I'm amazed, with no load, switched on, it only draws about 1 amp from my 12V lithium system. Powering my wife's 1850 commercial grade hair dryer on high, it draws about 165 amps. I haven't hooked my oscope up yet to see how pure the sine is, but the electronics I've hooked up to it didn't seem to mind it at all.

(*) nerd that I am, I used a red 'hospital grade' outlet for this so it wouldn't be confused with the rest of the outlets in the camper that are hooked up to campground pedestal power.

I am so impressed with this inverter, that I may hook up a subpanel and a transfer switch, and hook up everything but the air conditioner to it.

I probably should mention that my winter project was replacing the golf cart battery based 12V system with 412 AH of Lithium Iron Phosphate, giving me 5200 watt*hours, and replacing the original 160W PWM solar with 360W MPPT solar. and rewiring all the 12VDC mains with 4 gauge and stuff.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Anderson power pole input / output connectors. Allows quick connection to anything you want.
Used a lot in communications, now has spread to more devices. You can't plug them in backwards (if they are made right)
You can even plug 2 batteries together and they are right.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Used a lot in communications, now has spread to more devices. You can't plug them in backwards (if they are made right)
You can even plug 2 batteries together and they are right.
True, their use has spread to all manner of consumer / prosumer devices like RC devices to connect power packs. It should be noted when ever high voltage / high current devices are to be connected the use of BBM connectors should be employed.

This should not be confused with MBB switching / connectors . . . :thumb: :facepalm:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the little PP connectors like I'm using are good up to 45 amps, they make larger PP connectors for 100s of amps, but certainly, they are for DC applications, I've never seen more than 48VDC used with them

when I wired up my wife's ebike, I didn't like the supplied connectors they used for the 1000W 48V rear wheel motor, so wired them to a 5 pin block of PP45's,