Military "Intelligence" at its finest?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Why would you leave at least 9 choppers out on the tarmac, not being at least strapped down, especially in Norfolk during the Summer??

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
When I see things like this you're simply humbled by the power of Mother Nature. I don't pretend to know how heavy these helicopters are but its clear they are thousands of pounds. This also highlights the fact when gusting winds are present it can make anything on the ground resonate and begin to jump, sway, and bounce.

That was the biggest problem in earth quake prone areas as liquefaction and harmonic resonance would make things like bridges and buildings shake, move, sway, etc.

Liquefaction is extremely hard to negate because humans can't just go and replace the ground! :lmao: :facepalm:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was the biggest problem in earth quake prone areas as liquefaction and harmonic resonance would make things like bridges and buildings shake, move, sway, etc.

Liquefaction is extremely hard to negate because humans can't just go and replace the ground! :lmao: :facepalm:
So true.
Liquefaction was a big factor in the damage of Marina District of San Francisco during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 ==>> 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake

Excerpt from the above link:

"The Marina district was built on a landfill made of a mixture of sand, dirt, rubble, waste, and other materials containing a high percentage of groundwater. Some of the fill was rubble dumped into San Francisco Bay after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, but most was sand and debris laid down in preparation for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, a celebration of San Francisco's ability to rebound after its catastrophe in 1906.[51] After the Exposition, apartment buildings were erected on the landfill. In the 1989 earthquake, the water-saturated unconsolidated mud, sand, and rubble suffered liquefaction, and the earthquake's vertical shock waves rippled the ground more severely."

If anyone has ever poured cement or watched the process and a vibrator is dropped in and put into operation, when the water comes to the top...that's an excellent demonstration of liquefaction.

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey now!
Has nothing to do with Intel.
They tried to get me to help on plane wash down once, I told them I wasn't qualified and might accidently use sandpaper on the windows.

I remember going around the horn while being chased by a hurricane on CVN-68, we had planes chained down on the flight deck. 90+ off the water, I remember watching the waves crash over the bow.

@added
I've seen someone turn on the AFFF inside a hangar, that will ruin the electronics of all your birds real fast. lol

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey now!
Has nothing to do with Intel.
They tried to get me to help on plane wash down once, I told them I wasn't qualified and might accidently use sandpaper on the windows.

I remember going around the horn while being chased by a hurricane on CVN-68, we had planes chained down on the flight deck. 90+ off the water, I remember watching the waves crash over the bow.

@added
I've seen someone turn on the AFFF inside a hangar, that will ruin the electronics of all your birds real fast. lol
Neither does this, for the most part:

Before I wound up on active duty on the USS Hancock (CVA-19) in the Tonkin Gulf and South China Sea, I was on 2 weeks active duty in '68 as a reservist, we had flown from NAS Atlanta to Sand Point NAS near Seattle. A Navy Chief had me change a cracked exhaust stack and a leaky oil line on a Pratt & Whitney R-2000 Twin Wasp radial engine on a Douglas C-54 Skymaster. I told him I was training in electronics (ATN or ATR), not ADR and he said "....do you work on your car?" I said "well, yes sir" to which he replied "do you know what these are?" as he held a pair of safety wire pliers and I said "yes sir", as my dad was a Delta Airlines electrician since 1956 so I knew what they were. he said "well, there ya go" and walked off. I changed the stack and the oil line. I sat next to a window and had my eye on the #1 engine that I had worked on all the way back to ATL. It's a wonder all of us didn't wind up in the crash stats; but there were 3 other engines to keep us up.

Speaking of being on an aircraft carrier during a storm, on the Hancock I watched on more than one occasion during typhoons the superbly choreographed work of brown, yellow and green shirts move A4's and F8's from the flight deck to the starboard elevator as the ship completed its roll to port, chock and tie it down to the raised elevator, then as soon as the carrier had almost completed its roll to starboard, lower the elevator, un-chock the plane and move it to the safety of the hangar deck below. This is the part that would raise the hair on my neck.....sometimes the typhoon was so violent, the carrier pitched so much that the lowered elevator would leave a huge rooster tail in the water as the carrier continued to steam @ approximately 25 knots. Those guys were good and worked very hard.

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Speaking of being on an aircraft carrier during a storm, on the Hancock I watched on more than one occasion during typhoons the superbly choreographed work of brown, yellow and green shirts move A4's and F8's from the flight deck to the starboard elevator as the ship completed its roll to port, chock and tie it down to the raised elevator, then as soon as the carrier had almost completed its roll to starboard, lower the elevator, un-chock the plane and move it to the safety of the hangar deck below. This is the part that would raise the hair on my neck.....sometimes the typhoon was so violent, the carrier pitched so much that the lowered elevator would leave a huge rooster tail in the water as the carrier continued to steam @ approximately 25 knots. Those guys were good and worked very hard.
I have so much respect for the flight deck guys, they worked all day and all night. Those were the only group of guys that were allowed to lay sleeping wherever they were.

btw, I was Navy Intel. IS1 (SW)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have so much respect for the flight deck guys, they worked all day and all night. Those were the only group of guys that were allowed to lay sleeping wherever they were.
Same here, they sure did. During 24 hour flight ops we ran two 12 hour shifts.
btw, I was Navy Intel. IS1 (SW)
I was an Aviation Storekeeper (AK3), I managed a "rotable pool" under the flight deck, just 2 kneeknockers from the port side catwalk filled with TACANs, Dopplers, UHF & HF radios, altimeters, fire control radar, IFFs....only stuff that would "down" a plane in a combat zone (A-4E's, EKA-3B's, F-8J's, RF-8G's, E-1B's, C-1's and UH-2C helos).

Last edited:

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was OZ division, worked in the blue tile area on my first CV.
Our normal shifts were 12/12.
CVN-68, VS-41, CV-63, VAQ-129, CG-59

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was OZ division, worked in the blue tile area on my first CV.
Our normal shifts were 12/12.
CVN-68, VS-41, CV-63, VAQ-129, CG-59
I recognize VAQ-129, from 22 October 1970 – 3 June 1971, Detachment 62 KA-3Bs were embarked on USS Hancock, the boat I was on.
Actually, they had the "E" prefix also (EKA-3B) as they also performed electronic surveillance/early warning duty. From NAS Whidbey Island, WA, IIRC.

BTW, thank you for your service! :headbang:

Last edited: