Micro SD as primary storage AND quality of Dahua android app

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interested in personal experience from the community on 2 topics for simple home use:
1) Using only the micro sd local storage on camera
2) Using only mobile app from camera vendor (does Dahua or Hikvision have a better app?) for
A) remote live viewing
B) remote alert notifications
C) remote viewing of limited history clips of what caused alert

I have simple home security requirements so really not interested in pursuing a NVR / BI (or equivalent) operation management software approach (at least initially) Understand that's debatable but I am comfortable with my approach.

The storage capacity of micro sd cards, cost of micro sd cards, and the near universal availability of micro sd card storage on many if not most cameras is compelling approach for primary storage IN CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTS. Save the counter arguments for a separate thread. I have 18 months of experience with micro sd cards as my only storage mechanism on 8 wifi outdoor cameras and they have delivered. I know Dahua & Hikvision both support on camera micro sd cards for storage on their most popular home security cameras. Are both vendors equally reliable in writing to local sd storage and automatically overwriting older video as the cards fill up?

On the software operation side, focusing on remote capabilities (not being home by your cameras), the android apps supplied by the vendors (i.e. Dahua or Hikvision) or third parties like TinyCam pro seem to offer all the basics and then some. Again I have had good experience with this functionality in my current "cheapy camera" approach (Wyze). So does both Dahua & Hikvision provide a mobile app that does a reasonably good job of delivering on my requirements (2 A,B,C above)

Thank-you for sharing your personal experience

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For Outside the micro SD card will be cooked in less than a year, if you buy a high quality card. If you buy a cheap crap card less than 3 months. This is my experience in Houston Texas. As a primary method of recording, it will not be reliable. I use it for my third level last resort backup.

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your cameras must be surrounded by mirrors focusing the sun on them! I am in Vegas where we get a little heat. 18 months of sd cards used in 8 cameras outside and only 1 toasted in that time period. The rest going strong.

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand the majority of people on this forum are "pro's" and maybe I am asking in the wrong place. I am simply looking to up my game in small steps. My 1st small step was 8 wyze cams (considered as toys probably by most here). But surprisingly these cheap cameras give me great perimeter coverage day and night. Remote live views, so-so person alerts, motion clips, history reviews. These things are outside either under eaves or with inexpensive plastic housings. App has some hiccups but based on what I read all regardless of sophistication level have issues as well.

So I am seeking advice on some low light color options which brought me to this forum.

The industry is putting storage on cameras for a reason. I don't think its right to dismiss that unless you are taking about a commercial application. But hey what do I know.....oh yeah that's why I was seeking input

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The industry is putting storage on cameras for a reason. I don't think its right to dismiss that unless you are taking about a commercial application. But hey what do I know.....oh yeah that's why I was seeking input
The sd storage is there for backup purposes. Its slow clunky and cumbersome. They should never be used for primary storage. You seem to be set in your ways and simply want confirmation. Do it, then when they fail you at the worst possible moment, you will do it correctly.