Micro Computer for remote access only

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone could help recommend a small PC for only remoting into a site with 13 x 5442 ZE cams 1x 49425 PTZ on a NVR5232-16P-EI on . All from Andy of course :) Would like to remote into the site (starlink) when needed to be able to log into web GUI and adjust settings/configure cams/NVR etc. As the site is a 40 min drive. Also would using teamviewer be ok for this? or do you recommend another way? Thanks !

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I quess I will try figure it out myself. Just purchased a micro from ebay, hopefully it works. Maybe I can use zerotier to remote in on site. ?
Screenshot 2023-08-16 054606.pngScreenshot 2023-08-16 054642.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone could help recommend a small PC for only remoting into a site with 13 x 5442 ZE cams 1x 49425 PTZ on a NVR5232-16P-EI on . All from Andy of course :) Would like to remote into the site (starlink) when needed to be able to log into web GUI and adjust settings/configure cams/NVR etc. As the site is a 40 min drive. Also would using teamviewer be ok for this? or do you recommend another way? Thanks !
You dont need a pc on site, if the site has a routeable public ip you can simply run a vpn server on your router.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You dont need a pc on site, if the site has a routeable public ip you can simply run a vpn server on your router.
I agree.

Dudemaar - It's likely your current router can support a self hosted VPN service (like OpnVPN). If not, I would suggest you replace it with one that can support a self hosted VPN. There is no reason to add another device (micro computer) to the network IMHO. You would still need to set up some sort of connection method (VPN or some similar solution) and then you are relying on that device AND your router for everything to work. If you run the VPN right off your router, you only need that device to be working to make a connection. Once you have connected via VPN, the device you are using will appear as if it is a local device on that remote network. So if you are using a laptop or even a phone, it's as if you are physically at that location and connecting the laptop/phone into the local network. You can simply open a web browser on your laptop/phone and point it towards the camera's local IP addresses (192.168.1.4 for example) to pull up their GUI. You can watch the footage, or change settings, etc. You can also block those cameras from accessing the internet (which you should) and still retain the ability to reach their local web GUI even while offsite via the VPN.

Reaction score
Possibly see if you have the option to enable Bridge Mode for your existing Starlink router, if that can be turned on you need a firewall/router behind it and ASUS would be a good choice. Stable, patchable, and I've had mine running site-to-site VPN for literally years.

If bridge-mode isn't an option (I dont have starlink so it might no longer be or only for special circumstances), then you might want to try either a micro PC (like Protecti etc) or a combo like:

Raspberry PI KVM -- PiKVM - Open and inexpensive DIY IP-KVM on Raspberry Pi
plus, Raspberry PI install ZeroTier -- How to use ZeroTier on Raspberry Pi to Create Virtual Network

In my experience with RPI, you will want that to be a read-only file system if the remote site might abruptly lose power, and since my remote site was like 12+ hours drive away, I recall there are all kinds of things you have to think about. For example, if a windows-based PC shuts off suddenly (or RPI), they might not restart automatically on their own. Its not as easy to flip the power switch off and back on when you are hours away.

Whereas something like an ASUS router, seems to always kick back on and keep trucking. I have had one give up on me when I accidentally changed a VPN setting (while connected by VPN), and had to send a tech out to fix the setting back though.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I do the same thing as you're planning using an HP mini with a i3-6100T CPU and Team Viewer for the remote access. I run smartPSS on the HP mini. I could also run the cameras' web interface or the NVR web interface but have not yet had the need to change any of their settings. It works great, and has a bunch of advantages:

- A lot less data is transferred for the mini's screen image than if running smartPSS or web browser on the remote computer. Not an issue if both ends of the connection have a fast and reliable connection. A big deal with a slow connection, or weak cell connection, on either end. Team Viewer sacrifices resolution and update frequency to maintain reasonable response. In the same situation, smartPSS has a horrible response time, or drops the connection.

- Works with an ISP that prevents VPN use.

- Allows use of Linux on the remote end.

- Allows use of other home monitoring apps that are installed on the HP mini.

I fire up the mini only when I'm away from home, so it's not a second machine simultaneously on the network, and it draws less power than the main home computer. I'm not meaning to foofoo the other suggestions, just validating that the direction you're heading in works great for me.