Mice

Reaction score
Hi All

Thank you for all the posts. I’m learning so much.

My wife brought up a point. I Just drilled a 1 inch hole in attic through the top plate into the space between the studs.

After I ran the ca6 cable she innocently asks if mice can get down the 1 inch hole.
So I want to delegate this question to you guys. Should that be a concern and if so what can be done to prevent a problem?

On behalf of any concerned wives, my own included, thank you for you wisdom and advice.

Greenthumb (Jim)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All

Thank you for all the posts. I’m learning so much.

My wife brought up a point. I Just drilled a 1 inch hole in attic through the top plate into the space between the studs.

After I ran the ca6 cable she innocently asks if mice can get down the 1 inch hole.
So I want to delegate this question to you guys. Should that be a concern and if so what can be done to prevent a problem?

On behalf of any concerned wives, my own included, thank you for you wisdom and advice.

Greenthumb (Jim)
1) keep a clean house and dont worry about it...
2) if she cant sleep at night, simply pit a bit of spray foam or putty in the hole (not too much foam in the event you want to use it later)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I Just drilled a 1 inch hole in attic through the top plate into the space between the studs.
How do you think wires for lights/switches/outlets are run? Just like that. Depending on when your house was built, they may have used firestop caulk or foam to seal up those holes or nothing at all.

You need to stop mice before they get into your attic or any part of your house. If they're in your attic, they can and will get into the house, regardless of a hole down into the wall.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
They are after food sources that generate odors like Sacks of onions potatoes, rice, etc....
Also dirty floors and carpets with food remnants...Nothing smells good in the attic....
we got 3/4"-1" holes in the attic top plate where the electric is run to the bathroom light switches and lights in 3 places....
No mice problem.
Put a dryer sheet or two in there as well....they hate the smell and wont nest in that vicinity.
The last Marina I worked at they had for years, been putting a few dryer sheets in all the stored boats and Snowmobiles...it kept the Raccoons and other critter from setting up camp...
Hadn't heard of the before, but up the Northwoods, it makes sense....lots of critters.........