Mic not working on DS-2CD2142FWD-IS

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, full English version, running firmware V5.5.0 build 170725, connected to Blue Iris. For the life of me, I can't get a microphone working. I've tried both the Xbox 360 headset, and then "upgraded" to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004REA7MG (with a PoE splitter) when I couldn't get the 360 mic to work. I've tried both LineIn and MicIn settings in the Audio tab, and swapped positive and negative on my leads. G.711ulaw encoding. I swear I've followed every piece of information re: mics I can find in the forums. Even using the web app's Live View in Internet Explorer, it says "Audio on failed" when I try to unmute it. Am I missing something obvious, or do you think there's something wrong with the camera? (I've ruled out the mic - attached it to a Foscam. and while quite loud because it's powered, it works).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, full English version, running firmware V5.5.0 build 170725, connected to Blue Iris. For the life of me, I can't get a microphone working. I've tried both the Xbox 360 headset, and then "upgraded" to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004REA7MG (with a PoE splitter) when I couldn't get the 360 mic to work. I've tried both LineIn and MicIn settings in the Audio tab, and swapped positive and negative on my leads. G.711ulaw encoding. I swear I've followed every piece of information re: mics I can find in the forums. Even using the web app's Live View in Internet Explorer, it says "Audio on failed" when I try to unmute it. Am I missing something obvious, or do you think there's something wrong with the camera? (I've ruled out the mic - attached it to a Foscam. and while quite loud because it's powered, it works).
in the camera web interface under video settings make sure its set to Video AND audio

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
in the camera web interface under video settings make sure its set to Video AND audio
"Hey, you made all those connections, did you actually turn it on?" Thank you so much, that was definitely it!

Last edited:

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Ccutrer,

I'm looking to do the same thing... how did you connect the external mic to the POE splitter and the IP camera? Did you need cut the mic's wires?

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Ccutrer,

I'm looking to do the same thing... how did you connect the external mic to the POE splitter and the IP camera? Did you need cut the mic's wires?
I'm using a passive mic (xbox 360 headset - I just rip the mic off), so I don't have a PoE splitter. PoE connects straight to the camera, and the mic connects straight to the camera.

DLC

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that Ccutrer. I'll give that a try.

Thanks