Memory creeping on Intel Graphics 530

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm well aware of the normal cause's of memory creep. But I have a system that has me stumped.
HP Elitedesk G2 i7-6700, 8g ram running BI 5.3.3.16.
Running about 40MP/s worth of cams.
I did not set this computer up, a friend of my daughters did, supposedly following the directions I gave him.....not.

Doubt this has any relevance, but the SSD was installed as the D: drive, and the spinner was installed as the C: drive.
Win 10 Pro & BI was installed on the C: drive.
I live 10 hrs away from this location, and can't just "drop in". I'm using Team-viewer to remote in.
Bi is ran as a service.

It appears that a fresh install of Win10Pro was installed on the computer, but is there a way I can definitely tell from here since the "friend" didn't follow my other instructions.

I have so far tried these Intel 530 Graphics Drivers, with same results.
1-Failed to record ver
2-27.20.100.9079
3-27.20.100.9030
4-27.20.100.8853
Should I try the non-DCH drivers?

Anyone care to tell me what stable driver ver they are successfully running with their Intel Graphics 530?
Any ideas other than a slash and burn on Windows?

After 42 hrs of running.
mempriorboot..pngmempriorboot2..png

After a fresh boot
Memboot2.pngMemboot2Bi.png

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm.. I'm finding the same with my i5-6600 now. I only have 3 cams, and BI was using ~2400MB memory. After a reboot, 844MB.

This is on driver 27.20.100.8681

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you how to get a quick and easy perfect installation of Win 10 that could probably be done remotely. It leaves your Apps intact but completely removes and replaces Windows. Furthermore, it comes with all the latest updates installed so no updating needed (it's usually the updates that break Windows). Did I say it's very fast. Think 10 minutes not 3 days.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm.. I'm finding the same with my i5-6600 now. I only have 3 cams, and BI was using ~2400MB memory. After a reboot, 844MB.

This is on driver 27.20.100.8681
I do not run BI and I am seeing the same memory leak. 32mb memory and generally using less that 5mb of it. And then bam! Something takes up 16 mb of it. Possibly a resent windows update?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can tell you how to get a quick and easy perfect installation of Win 10 that could probably be done remotely. It leaves your Apps intact but completely removes and replaces Windows. Furthermore, it comes with all the latest updates installed so no updating needed (it's usually the updates that break Windows). Did I say it's very fast. Think 10 minutes not 3 days.
I'm all ears. :)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like they may have installed the OS with the WD drive installed, you’re now in a situation where without the WD C: drive the OS won’t boot.

Can’t help with remotely trashing the system but if there’s not much else on the comp you could get them to do a res install of W10 using a usb boot drive created using the media creation tool but this time tell them to disconnect the WD drive.

I have a i5-6500 based system and this is the version of the driver that works for me, have been through a few but have always come back to this version.

IMG_7724.jpg

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm fighting the same thing. Tried multiple different drivers and BI memory steadily climbs as the hours go by. After a reboot, BI uses ~2.7 MB. 24 hours later it's over 4 MB and still climbs until I restart it again. This is happening on a different driver than what this thread is about.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.05.17 PM.png

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a place here that we could upload drivers? The one I am using took me hours to find.
Are you using H.264 or H.265?
When I use that version of the driver (23.20.16.4973) with H.265, it seems like it is working fine but when I view the recordings in BI the video pauses for 5-10 seconds then starts again for 1-2 seconds then pauses again repeatedly so its unviewable.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the forum has the space then that would be good as most vendors remove the much older drivers, I can upload the versions I have and use, have a few scattered around on my BI PC.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your frustrating experience. I like the offer somebody proposed to help you refresh windows from afar. I hope they can get the OS over to the SSD. After thats fixed....HP’s site should have drivers to download for that graphics chip running on W/10. If it’s a fresh install, look at the device manager(mangler). Make sure the intel chipset driver is installed ....graphics driver x.x.x.6742 sounds like something to try.
Sometimes it matters which intel driver goes on first. Usually mobo chipset then intel graphics then Intel Rapid Storage etc etc
My BI system responsiveness lags on 8Gb. Runs noticeably better on 16GB and briskly on 32. (Optiplex 7010 i7-3770s -256 WD SSD- Wd 6TB blue drive). 13 Cams.
But I have too many cams for that old of a machine probably.
The replacement Elite desk 800 g4 shipped last week with a single 8GB stick. Found a guy with 2x8/16GB. Maybe upgrading/swapping out the Optiplex next week.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm all ears. :)

Ok it's a 3 step process but quick. 1st step is really a system check and can be skipped or run alone without step 2 or 3. However, if your run step 2, either after step 1 or without step 1, you must run step 3.

Hope that makes sense. Step 1 is a more comprehensive version of the system check utility and sometimes fixes items the Windows run one can't. However, it's doesn't fix everything, and whilst worth trying, sometimes only a re-installation will do.

So, do the following (Win 10 Only):

In the search bar bottom left of your (his screen) type "Cmmd"

A box will pop up and in the left hand Side wil be Listed "Command Prompt". You want to open this but AS ADMINISTRATOR.

You can get Admin privaledges by right clicking over Command Prompt in the list and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the drop down menu. Alternatively, you may see a second box of options to the right of the main popup and "Run as Administrator" listed there. Click either one.

If you open it as non administrator by accident, just click the "X" at the top right of the command prompt window to close it and re-follow the instructions above. As non admintsrator you will be blocked from the following commands:

These must be type EXACTLY as written with everything including the spaces in the correct place, otherwise they will refuse to run:

Next to the prompt in the Command Prompt box:

1. Step 1 (System check and fix - can be run alone withoug steps 2 & 3 and is skippable if you want to go straight to Steps 2 and 3)

Type:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Note the spaces between each section of the command the next "/". Eveything must be space perfect and exactly as written above. The system will execute a file system check like the one in Windows but more powerful. It may or may not find problems and may or may not fix them. The report at the end will tell you. If it doesn't find any and you have issues or if it finds them but reports they can't be fixed, then you need steps 2 & 3

2. Step 2 - Windows Replacement with a full up-to-date perfect version (fast around 10 mins total)

Still in the Command Prompt window next to the prompt Type:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This will download a clean up to date version of Windows and install it without breaking any of your Apps (at least in my experience - I've done it mulitple times)

3. Step 3 - Cleanup - Essential after Step 2

Type:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

That should get you a brand new working version of Windows with all the every latest updates pre-installed (it's usually the updates that corrupt windows in my experience). Not sure how it does it so fast, but I'm on fibre so it can probably pull the image down really quickly. Alternaively maybe it only repalces the bits that don't conform to the perfect image. Unsure, but it gives you a clean installation.

Needless to say, don't interrupt these processes when running and this is all at your own risk. I have never had an issue, but accept no responsibility for any issue, omission, error in instructions, loss or damage caused. You have the option of a computer engineer if you want more formal qualified advice.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like they may have installed the OS with the WD drive installed, you’re now in a situation where without the WD C: drive the OS won’t boot.

Can’t help with remotely trashing the system but if there’s not much else on the comp you could get them to do a res install of W10 using a usb boot drive created using the media creation tool but this time tell them to disconnect the WD drive.

I have a i5-6500 based system and this is the version of the driver that works for me, have been through a few but have always come back to this version.
You can check which drives are boot drives by looking in the "Disk Manager".

Right click over the Windows Icon bottom left corner of the screen. A pop up will appear and it should list "Disk Management".

Click this. When the Disk Management Window Opens, make it full screen. In the graphical area below the list of disks, in each allocated segment of each disk, it will tell you its poperties eg. System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump etc.

The system (Windows) boot drive will say "System, Boot, Active and probably some of the other properties as well". That should enable you to establish which drive contains Windows and which is the boot drive. Having more than 1 disk in the system when installing should make no difference if they allocated Windows to the correct drive. It's not possible to my knowledge to have Windows on 1 drive and the other assigned a boot drive. So far as I'm aware, the boot drive must contain Windows and the file allocation table..

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
@ Walrus, thanks, an extra space crept in on the 2nd instruction. Shows how easy it is. A slightly wrong instruction shouldn't cause any harm, it just won't run.

BTW for anyone worried about dism.exe with it being an ,exe, it's part of Win 10 and built into Windows. I understand the image comes direct from MS. Instructions for this were given to me on the MS forums. It's the corporate / pro way of repairing Win as opposed to system repair which rarely works well in my experience or a manual installation which takes around 3 days and often shows corruption on a scan after all the updates are downloaded. Image restore programs can be ok but still take more time. For me, dism is the go to now when Win is corrupt with an imaging program as a backup.

Last edited: