Medstud need to study, at the same time keep eye on mom with nightly hallucinations?

medstudent

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, hope anyone can help me with this! I've already tried 3 different dlink cameras (dcs-933, 2132 and 2330) without no good results (933 worked best, maybe because I was not able to setup correct configuration for the others).

I'm medical student, with a lot of studies and my mom can't live alone any more and she's been having several nightly hallucinations past 3-4 months (and they keep getting more frequent). So I'm staying with her now and in order continue with my studies I have decided to do them at night and the same time trying to keep an eye on my mom while she's sleeping in her room (I've tried make her move to a bigger room so that I can sit and study in the same room - but she refuses). I will setup the camera about 2 metres from her face.

What I need is the following(all the numbered specifications are obligate):
1. Night vision
2. Good resolution (must have a good vision on her eyes (to see if they're open or closed), because it's when her eyes start focus on something I know she's hallucinating - and with the tested cameras I haven't been able to do that, not without any effort and with certainty)
3. As little lagging as possible - not more than 1/2 second (come to conclusion that Wifi is out of question, right?) tested cameras varied between 0.5 and more than 2 seconds - for the most part little more than 1 second but not unusual with more than 2 seconds lagging. It didn't get better than 0.5 seconds with cable connection to the router - both camera and computer! I'm talking about both audio and video was lagging. I got an manageable lagg just yesterday for the first time with Wifi, not more than 0.2-0.3 seconds lag - couldn't tell anything about the video!
4. Reliable connection (WIFI out of question for the same reason?)
5. Audio in (internal or external) (guaranteed without any distortion - couldn't get rid of distortion from dcs-2330 & 2132, and there was a lot - dcs-933 was ok though)
6. Remote live viewing (outside the local network)
- Some kind of movement and/or audio detection! Maybe in future I will try to code in some kind of combined facial/eye/audio pattern detection.
- PoE but not necessary
- Can't come up with anything else - if you do please inform me!

I got an ISP with 100/100 Mbit, stable connection with an Wlan router Asus RT-n66u. Bought an Asus RT-ac87 for testing if I could get the rid of the bad lagging behaviour - there was no improvement.
The width of her bed is 110 cm and as I wrote earlier the camera will be setup ca 2 metres from her face maybe closer if camera will be setup on the ceiling (1.5 m).

I got $600 or €530 budget for this.

Regards.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Medstud need to study, at the same time keep eye on mom with nightly hallucinatio

Hi, hope anyone can help me with this! I've already tried 3 different dlink cameras (dcs-933, 2132 and 2330) without no good results (933 worked best, maybe because I was not able to setup correct configuration for the others).

I'm medical student, with a lot of studies and my mom can't live alone any more and she's been having several nightly hallucinations past 3-4 months (and they keep getting more frequent). So I'm staying with her now and in order continue with my studies I have decided to do them at night and the same time trying to keep an eye on my mom while she's sleeping in her room (I've tried make her move to a bigger room so that I can sit and study in the same room - but she refuses). I will setup the camera about 2 metres from her face.

What I need is the following(all the numbered specifications are obligate):
1. Night vision
2. Good resolution (must have a good vision on her eyes (to see if they're open or closed), because it's when her eyes start focus on something I know she's hallucinating - and with the tested cameras I haven't been able to do that, not without any effort and with certainty)
3. As little lagging as possible - not more than 1/2 second (come to conclusion that Wifi is out of question, right?) tested cameras varied between 0.5 and more than 2 seconds - for the most part little more than 1 second but not unusual with more than 2 seconds lagging. It didn't get better than 0.5 seconds with cable connection to the router - both camera and computer! I'm talking about both audio and video was lagging. I got an manageable lagg just yesterday for the first time with Wifi, not more than 0.2-0.3 seconds lag - couldn't tell anything about the video!
4. Reliable connection (WIFI out of question for the same reason?)
5. Audio in (internal or external) (guaranteed without any distortion - couldn't get rid of distortion from dcs-2330 & 2132, and there was a lot - dcs-933 was ok though)
6. Remote live viewing (outside the local network)
- Some kind of movement and/or audio detection! Maybe in future I will try to code in some kind of combined facial/eye/audio pattern detection.
- PoE but not necessary
- Can't come up with anything else - if you do please inform me!

I got an ISP with 100/100 Mbit, stable connection with an Wlan router Asus RT-n66u. Bought an Asus RT-ac87 for testing if I could get the rid of the bad lagging behaviour - there was no improvement.
The width of her bed is 110 cm and as I wrote earlier the camera will be setup ca 2 metres from her face maybe closer if camera will be setup on the ceiling (1.5 m).

I got $600 or €530 budget for this.

Regards.
Welcome to the forum...you will always get some lag with ip, generally its less than a second. But if reaction time is really important to you and you cannot have lag at all, then get an analog over hd system from dahua or tvi system from hikvision and hardwire it with coax, you wont get any lag.

medstudent

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Medstud need to study, at the same time keep eye on mom with nightly hallucinatio

Welcome to the forum...you will always get some lag with ip, generally its less than a second. But if reaction time is really important to you and you cannot have lag at all, then get an analog over hd system from dahua or tvi system from hikvision and hardwire it with coax, you wont get any lag.
Thank you for the welcome and for the reply.

I had an analog system in mind earlier but after talking to personal that suppose to be a pro the idea was rejected due to audio/video synchronization problems according to the "pro", because audio and video would be separate systems. Even if what he told about separate audio/video to be true, I won't mind them be separate and they don't have to be perfect sync - as long as there is stability and reliability in the system and neither of them lags more than 0.5 seconds it's good for me.
Regards

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thank you for the welcome and for the reply.

I had an analog system in mind earlier but after talking to personal that suppose to be a pro the idea was rejected due to audio/video synchronization problems according to the "pro", because audio and video would be separate systems. Even if what he told about separate audio/video to be true, I won't mind them be separate and they don't have to be perfect sync - as long as there is stability and reliability in the system and neither of them lags more than 0.5 seconds it's good for me.
Regards
If you want no delay your only option is an analog system. A proper ip system will not have too much lag, but there are many variables.
If you want minumum lag with IP, pickup one of these http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
connect it directly WIRED to your laptop via a switch.