Maybe moving to Florida from Nevada. Also, questions about 5th wheeler trailer living & cameras

Reaction score
My stable work place is going through a change by the end of this 2021 year. Owner is retiring and selling the company I have worked for since 1999 here in Reno, NV. It creates an unknown in my path to perfect stability! So I must prepare for the worst (such as doors closing). Best to research and ask questions now than too late, even if the bad does not happen.
So let's play a game and act as if this is 100% for certain.
My game plan is to sell my house which I should get 250k profit (I bought on short sells back in the 2010 era).
Question 1: Anyone with a 35'+ 5th wheel trailer? I do not know much about quality named rigs. Basic research points to the Solitude for living in year around but with a hefty $80k price tag depending on the model. I am more of a DIY guy so maybe do not need that luxury model. Some 5th wheel owners have told me do not go below 35' if going to live in one year around but also do not go HUGE like 40-45' as towing/travelling is a monster with such a big rig.
Question 2: I am torn between the Dodge 2500 & 3500 (please no debates on ford vs chevy vs dodge etc) as I will either have to purchase here in NV or purchase in FL. I have research to do to see what the pricing difference is between regions.
Question 3: construction of any 5th wheeler. I have never dabbled with doing any DIY or maintenance in a 5th wheeler camper trailer. Is even possible to run network cabling in those things for cameras? I do not think I would need 24 cameras like I do for my current house :) Wouldn't mind installing some (on temp posts/fixtures).

My best friend lives up in the northern panhandle of Florida near Pensacola and has offered me a RV spot on his property to keep it there for years since he is like family. Knowing hurricanes and such, I would want to build a surrounding hurricane proof structure though :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Knowing hurricanes and such, I would want to build a surrounding hurricane proof structure though :)
Well that sucks after you just got your place set up to be stalker proof. So make sure this structure is stalker proof too LOL :lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True. And it comes with a state of the art system too!

Reaction score
We traveled full time in our 40’ Montana Big Sky for 7 years and then settled in Florida, for a while. Didn’t like the weather, but that’s another discussion.

Where might you end up?

Oh, and go for a dually due to winds.

Reaction score
We traveled full time in our 40’ Montana Big Sky for 7 years and then settled in Florida, for a while. Didn’t like the weather, but that’s another discussion.

Where might you end up?

Oh, and go for a dually due to winds.
wow....7 years. Long time :) And a 40'! Was it a pain to travel with? As in...TOO big?
Can't go for dually as will be daily driver around city or someplace when I find job.

Reaction score
No, it wasn’t a problem. We actually added a generator tray to the back which made it 42’ + in overall length. We housed two Honda 2k generators and a 5 gallon marine tank.
Might have to grab lunch with you in the next couple months to ask more in-depth 5th wheel living questions :)

Reaction score
Any time. We went from total newbies to being able to help others on their journeys.

From front bumper of the truck to the rear of the genny tray, we were 57’ long and had no problems getting into state parks that didn’t want any trailer longer than 32’. We snuck in after hours and set up. In the morning most of the time the camp host would be “How the **** did you get this in here?”

Reaction score
How big is your family?
Myself... 2 cats. That's it :) I guess I could claim girlfriend in the mix but that's another story.
I understand that a 3500 covers all bases for towing anything possible. I guess this is where I have options since I would be solo living in one as may not need a 45'+ camper as compared to a 35-40'. Years ago, up in South Dakota, I bought the largest single wide mobile homes available (16x80?) just cause I thought more space the better. Well, in reality I never really saw 1/2 of the thing. Dont want to make that mistake again.

Reaction score
All you need is this LOL

no way! Way too small. Gotta have SOME square footage in a camper! Hence...35'-40'+ range. Basically, something like a studio apt or 1 bed apt. In case g/f makes me sleep on couch or so :) Have lived in a 450sq ft studio apt..and 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apt. I liked the 1 bed apt.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
32-36 feet would be plenty for a single with pets. 3500 SRW should be plenty. Less to clean and easier to haul around. One nice recliner, a large bathroom, plenty of kitchen counter space and a bed size of your choice. If a king bed is standard and you opt for a queen usually you then have room on the sides to make it easier. Also, make sure you have enough outside/basement storage, important for a full timer.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
knowing the hurricane season will strike harder this coming years (2021 just started earlier), I will go with an RV that allow me to move quickly to another area (State). Good Luck Holbs!

Edit: in case you are planing to move south coastal

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
32-36 feet would be plenty for a single with pets. 3500 SRW should be plenty. Less to clean and easier to haul around. One nice recliner, a large bathroom, plenty of kitchen counter space and a bed size of your choice. If a king bed is standard and you opt for a queen usually you then have room on the sides to make it easier. Also, make sure you have enough outside/basement storage, important for a full timer.
I tend to agree with this. This size range will be easy to pull and resell will be good. As to the truck, you did not mention if you were going to live basically in one spot (extended stay) or travel around (camping). My opinion based on my trailer and truck is that a 3/4 ton truck will be fine for a 32' trailer, but marginal for a 36'. You are just going to have to get the weights for the trailer you are interested in and then compare to the trucks specs. Remember, on a 5th wheel trailer it's not what the truck can pull, it's the payload. If any doubt, go with a 1 ton.

I currently have a Grand Design brand trailer but not the Solitude you mention. I can tell you GDRV is a good company, but probably not any better than most of the manufacturers. I just can't stress enough, current trailers are not built that well and the components that are used are 2nd class. It's a shame based on what they cost. Be prepared, even with a new trailer, to do a lot of work. If you can't do it yourself the trailer is going to stay at the dealer's service dept a lot. In addition, at the present time trailers are scarce and prices are high.

As far as cabling, you have easy access in the underbelly, but it's near impossible to run wire through exterior walls. Occasionally wire can be fished for short distances through the ceiling and interior walls.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I tend to agree with this. This size range will be easy to pull and resell will be good. As to the truck, you did not mention if you were going to live basically in one spot (extended stay) or travel around (camping). My opinion based on my trailer and truck is that a 3/4 ton truck will be fine for a 32' trailer, but marginal for a 36'. You are just going to have to get the weights for the trailer you are interested in and then compare to the trucks specs. Remember, on a 5th wheel trailer it's not what the truck can pull, it's the payload. If any doubt, go with a 1 ton.

I currently have a Grand Design brand trailer but not the Solitude you mention. I can tell you GDRV is a good company, but probably not any better than most of the manufacturers. I just can't stress enough, current trailers are not built that well and the components that are used are 2nd class. It's a shame based on what they cost. Be prepared, even with a new trailer, to do a lot of work. If you can't do it yourself the trailer is going to stay at the dealer's service dept a lot. In addition, at the present time trailers are scarce and prices are high.

As far as cabling, you have easy access in the underbelly, but it's near impossible to run wire through exterior walls. Occasionally wire can be fished for short distances through the ceiling and interior walls.

Good luck.
I envision one spot (extended stay) on my friends property that already has RV pad setup when he had that little camper (those 12' big tear drop ones). I am not at that point in life where I desire to travel to all 50 states, type of scenario.

Reaction score
these quick "5th trailer" review pages suggest 36' is optimum size due to weight, easier to tow, etc. Anything larger starts to get into more luxurious models. Maybe it will all boil down to how much I have in my bank acct. Some of these campers, even in the 38' range, are $100k. Didn't expect that.