Max height for facial recognition.

besharim

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a two-story home and wanted to install the cameras on the second story. What is the maximum height for facial recognition?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I have read in this forum - it's about 8 feet. I'm sure a lot would depend on the type of camera, lens etc. but I believe the closer you get it to the human, the better :)

Reaction score
I have a two-story home and wanted to install the cameras on the second story. What is the maximum height for facial recognition?
In my opinion, 8 ft won't work if the camera is two feet away. I think what you really want to have is a low angle - best recognition would be at head height or slightly below to see under the bill of a hat or cap. The farther away the camera is, the higher it can be. Of course you might need a longer lens to get a large enough image and that may require more light. As suggested previously, on the 2nd story is most likely not going to be effective.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @besharim

The specs we like to use is: 100+ ppf AND a good angle on a facial image capture ( ideally you want a straight on shot of a face ).

See the cliff notes on the DORI, 100 ppf info.

Also see the test rig and what we recommend doing to test potential positions.

Summary:
1) Need enough effective pixel density on target.
2) Need a good angle for ID purposes.
3) Test all planned positions for effectiveness before doing a final commit.

In general, 2nd story eves are very poor positions for most cameras that you want to use to ID. Exception of course is if you can reduce the camera to target angle and zoom into a target further away from the camera so that you have a high effective pixel density.