Massive increase in triggers and clip lengths around 5.4.3.0?

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen that after the recent "motion detection updates", triggering and retriggering is happening a lot more, especially due to wind in trees and bushes?

My clips used to almost all have been about 30 seconds long (my end if not retriggered time), and mostly happened when something obvious to my eye happened to trigger them in the first place.

Now my clips on several cameras are sometimes hours long, and look like they have nothing more than leaves fluttering and the like.

I tried highlighting/rectangles, and little time objects all over the screen are highlighted, but the trigger boxes are now huge, covering dozens of small triggers all over.

A summary I found of the motion detection changes said something about combining triggers, but the details were really not clear...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't noticed an increase, other than a windy spring with trees growing every year so more potential for that to happen.

Reaction score
Downgrading back to 5.4.1.1 definitely went back to the previous behavior where I may get a lot of triggers, but they don't happen so continuously that I get hour long clips that retriggered through the entire thing.

Also, the motion sensor rectangles are back to being small groups rather than huge things that cover entire trees when only a few leaves show highlighted motion.

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed this yesterday independently. Motion will start in some leaves in the corner, and then unexpectedly, for a single frame or two, suddenly enlarge the object detection box to stretch into the middle of the screen for no apparent reason. Started happening recently but I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. Looks like it's not

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Just adjust the sensitivity. Things change over time and needs re-tuning.

Reaction score
No amount of tuning was able to fix this issue... Only rolling back to the pre-change version.

At this point, I doubt I'll be able to upgrade unless they revert it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No amount of tuning was able to fix this issue... Only rolling back to the pre-change version.

At this point, I doubt I'll be able to upgrade unless they revert it.
Sounds like an issue on the your end. This has been out for quite some time.

Reaction score
Maybe, but I can't find a workaround.

The cameras that aren't fairly wide-angle lenses pointed at large blocks of trees blowing in the wind have no problem.

It's only the the ones that are which show this weird behavior of the trigger blocks being huge squares that cover a quarter of the screen even though only a several dispersed tiny blocks are showing highlighting.

And I can't really set the trigger size up much larger without frequently missing people walking on the sidewalk.

I suppose I could triple the number of cameras and go with a tighter shot on those sides of my house, but... nah.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I can't find a workaround.

The cameras that aren't fairly wide-angle lenses pointed at large blocks of trees blowing in the wind have no problem.

It's only the the ones that are which show this weird behavior of the trigger blocks being huge squares that cover a quarter of the screen even though only a several dispersed tiny blocks are showing highlighting.

And I can't really set the trigger size up much larger without frequently missing people walking on the sidewalk.

I suppose I could triple the number of cameras and go with a tighter shot on those sides of my house, but... nah.
I would start by deleting the camera in Blue Iris and adding them back. Have you emailed support?

Reaction score
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Haven't emailed support yet... I was posting to see if anyone else had the problem first... looks like there was at least one other, but as you say it doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem.

But since things have been working fine since I downgraded it kind of dropped off my priority list.