Managing bandwidth when streaming over WAN

M4DM4NZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've run into a bandwidth problem when connecting 6x remote cameras to BI over WAN, I'm using the mainstreams and it works well with 100Mbit up/down, but the latency becomes at issue when using the WAN for other tasks like samba/browsing etc.

I've tried using QoS from the router to limit the traffic but latency is still as issue.

I'm wondering, is there a way to only use the substreams for AI/alert detection's that trigger the Mainstream for high-res recordings? i know this could cause a delay from when the mainstream starts recording, but the mailstream only record for a few min before reverting back to the substream so not worried about the lag for only a few min.

is this done by duplicating each camera in BI for each stream type? (sub/main) or can it be configured with 1 instance of the camera?

any other solutions are welcome, but i have a feeling that using the substream to "turn on" a mainstream from the same camera might take a while to start recording and could introduce delays when say capturing a person walking past in a short timeframe.

Cheers