Mailbox Jacked, Camera Disguise Questions

Reaction score
I have visible cameras on the house. I won't hang cameras in the trees - don't want to be "that guy..."
The last thing you should be concerned about is being thought of as "that guy". First of all, most people won't even notice the cameras in the trees. Second, the people who may think you are a bit weird are also the same people who will come to you for help when they are victimized.

Embrace your destiny. ;)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your ultimate goal? Are you going to bother looking at every alert that comes from that box and confirm its a resident? Otherwise, what's the point, the plates will be obscured or stolen...you might want some type of zwave like sensor that triggers when your box is opened...
You can also set pre-recording if using BI so the camera is recorded continuosly into memory and the system then records the memory section as well if a trigger is received. I use this on my cameras set to 5 seconds as often in my situation, the person won't trigger the camera until quite close and I might want to get the more distant activity. In the case of Fenders suggestion, the camera wouldn't trigger until the box was opened but the pre-recording could capture the person pulling up in a vehicle, getting out and walki up as well (depending on the pre-record length).

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can also set pre-recording if using BI so the camera is recorded continuosly into memory and the system then records the memory section as well if a trigger is received. I use this on my cameras set to 5 seconds as often in my situation, the person won't trigger the camera until quite close and I might want to get the more distant activity. In the case of Fenders suggestion, the camera wouldn't trigger until the box was opened but the pre-recording could capture the person pulling up in a vehicle, getting out and walki up as well (depending on the pre-record length).
As mentioned, it's a gang box, so eight small compartments with doors on the sidewalk side, and one big door on the street side so the mail delivery person can drive up.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned, it's a gang box, so eight small compartments with doors on the sidewalk side, and one big door on the street side so the mail delivery person can drive up.
You can use pre-recoding on any camera irrespesctive of how you trigger it. eg. trips is probably the way to go but if you need to keep trips off the public highway to avoid too many false triggers, pre-recording will record the car pulling up and person walking up before they reached the trip wires when they are actually tripped. It's a very powerful tool tht allows you to record back in time. That's why I use it. If I put my trip wires anyfurther down my drive then because of the slope, I get triggers from the road. By keeping the trips further up, they only get tripped when someone is at the top of my driveway, but anything they do before getting there is recorded by the pre-recording. It's also quite useful from an audio perspective, as you can capture audio before they triggered the cameras so eg when someone is walking up and taking about breaking in before actually getting as far as tripping the system or talking about vandalism done or theft or threats whilst walking away (post trip recording duration).