LTS LTN8916-P16 4K NVR unboxing, first impressions

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to this nvr, my current one chocking with 5 MP cams already. Do you know what's the price on this one?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If 4k cameras were available right now I'd be all over that

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If 4k cameras were available right now I'd be all over that
They are... Maybe not in your "entry level" Dahua or HIK but 8mp/12mp Cams are starting to pop up more and more. Dahua has a few starting in the $400 range now - domes and box, then obviously Axis and Bosh have multiples as well. So its not really a matter of available its a matter if your willing to spend 2x - 3x per camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to this nvr, my current one chocking with 5 MP cams already. Do you know what's the price on this one?
See PM on pricing - I don't think posting is fair due to pricing restrictions with LTS. Also note that this and there other 16port POE NVR in the smaller 1U both have the same bandwidth support - 160 in and 80 out. Obviously the 4K version has a quad core CPU and 4k HDMI output, but if your not going 4k camera route the standard 16POE NVR would work. But for a future proof option the 4K NVR would be the way to go as I see you as someone who will start trying some 8mp and 12mp cams before most.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are... Maybe not in your "entry level" Dahua or HIK but 8mp/12mp Cams are starting to pop up more and more. Dahua has a few starting in the $400 range now - domes and box, then obviously Axis and Bosh have multiples as well. So its not really a matter of available its a matter if your willing to spend 2x - 3x per camera.
I'll buy a 4k once lts has one. Have not been impressed with Dahua lately.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After about a week playing with the LTS LTN8916-P16 i'm rather impressed. Great NVR. Only issue is that I'm unable to get email attachments working. All the tricks I use with my 7616NI don't work.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you mean you can't get email working in general, or email works but you don't get attachments with the message?

Anyway, here is how I got Gmail working:

- Set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
- Enable SSL in email settings
- Use smtp.gmail.com on port 465
- Turn on Google's "allow less secure logins" setting

That did it for me, and I repeated the process easily when helping my neighbors set up their LTN8708-P8.

I did have one Gmail problem which I didn't see mentioned around here... I thought this was interesting. I'll throw out the problem and solution just in case it helps someone.

Since you need to reduce account security to use Gmail with the NVR, I decided NOT to do that to my main account, but to make a new account JUST for the NVR to use when sending email. Hey, accounts are free!

This worked fine, UNTIL I added my phone number to the new NVR account. It's the same backup phone number that my main account uses. I forget the context, but I saw something in the account settings that make it clear Gmail knew that my NVR's "burner" account was associated with my main account because they shared a phone number. And right when I saw that, NVR email began to fail.

I can't be sure, but I suspect that since Google knew that the NVR email was associated with my main account, the more strict security settings on my main email silently took precedence.

Then I tried making a second Gmail account for the NVR. This time I used my home phone to verify the account--a number I had never tied to any Google service before. This second email account worked fine with the NVR.

I may be reaching here, but based on what I saw: if you are a Gmail user, make a new reduced security Gmail account for your NVR--and do not use the same backup phone or email that you use for your main Gmail account.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, i guess i was not specific enough. Email event notifications are working, it's just not attaching the images in the email. Its a known issue with a lot of Hik NVR's at the moment.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, interesting. I did notice that line crossing email alerts did not include images on my neighbor's unit... Maybe that's related?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, interesting. I did notice that line crossing email alerts did not include images on my neighbor's unit... Maybe that's related?
As long as you have Attached Image checked you should receive 3 images in your notification email. I can get it to work with my 7616NI with a little playing around but no dice with the LTS unit. Hopefully new firmware will be released soon that fixes the issue.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a bug then. Basic motion emails come with photos, line crossing doesn't--on the LTN8708-P8. Haven't tested line crossing email on my LTN8916-P16 but basic motion email photos also work fine there.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@horseflesh and @hook3m, I'm getting the LTN8932-P16 next week but see you guys are having some issues with getting photo attachments to work. I am wondering if any of you fix that yet and if you guys have any other issues and don't mind sharing them on this thread, please do so.

I'd really appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@D!ngo, I have definitely experienced a problem with email attachments for region intrusion and line crossing motion events. They just don't work at all. Basic motion attachments work fine.

I had been meaning to search or start a conversation on this, so good timing.

I received my LTS gear within about the last month and haven't even checked firmware vs what's available on their web site. Maybe a fix is already available. Or, maybe we need to report a bug. Not sure what the best way is to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you get your NVR from Milk and have you contact him yet? I'm getting mine from him so I hope he has an answer. I hope it's just a glitch or needs firmware. I just hate it when newer models come and they delete features that were available and useful on older models.

Yes, please keep let us know if you get it to work.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@horseflesh and @hook3m, I'm getting the LTN8932-P16 next week but see you guys are having some issues with getting photo attachments to work. I am wondering if any of you fix that yet and if you guys have any other issues and don't mind sharing them on this thread, please do so.

I'd really appreciate that.
I have only tried with line crossing and I get no attachments. Aside from that it's a great NVR.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was told that there is a work around to get intrusion photo attachments to work, but it involves an external POE switch. It won't work with internal poe. :sad2: Dunno why they would do that but hopefully there will be an update to fix that.

Connect the camera to the poe switch, port forward that camera, and send email with attachments for the intrusion detection via the camera itself.

HTH.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the workaround. Did you get that from LTS? If so any hint that they'll fix the problem?

While it's nice there's a workaround, I don't want to buy more gear and complicate my setup to use a feature that should be working. :)

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was told that there is a work around to get intrusion photo attachments to work, but it involves an external POE switch. It won't work with internal poe. :sad2: Dunno why they would do that but hopefully there will be an update to fix that.
The work around is just using the cameras themselves to send the alerts and bypassing the NVR. And D!ngo is correct, it won't work through the NVR's POE ports.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not yet. I'm getting it next week. I raised my concern about the issue and that is what I was told. The seller said it's a software issue so hopefully they'll fix that (he doesn't know if there is an update yet). Doesn't make sense that the old model can do this and the new one can't. If anything I think it's just an inconvenient. But it'll be nice to get that feature to work. Maybe enough of us notify LTS they'll get on it sooner.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe enough of us notify LTS they'll get on it sooner.
Does anyone know the best way to do that? I am more than happy to file a bug report send in log files, mail a certified letter, whatever will help.