LPR setup help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How much zoom are you at? The ANPR cameras don't have as much zoom as the Z12E and many have reported they are not good with recognizing US plates.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put my laptop to bed for the night, and can't remember the zoom number. I'm about 100' either direction.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The zoom at the moment is 1080. I could change the camera a bit and get the zone down to around 80 feet if needed.

I purchased new garage wall lights that I hope to be putting up this weekend or next week. Along with this, I'm considering changing the light bulbs again to a corn cob design with dusk to dawn features.
This would up the lumens from 1600 a light bulb to 5000 lumens. lol..

That might be too much for my garage lights, but we shall see.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got my new 5241 up today, but didn't get site lines finalized because of rain. Hopefully can get everything dialed in by this weekend.
I am running color on this one and looks like I'm capturing the majority of plates so far. 90%+ But, as stated, haven't gotten everything dialed in yet. Dealing with a few fuzzy images, and exactly where I want to point the camera/zoom.
Have it running 1/1,000 shutter speed, but the fuzzy images has me a bit stumped. I'll post up pictures tomorrow.

Also put up new back/side lights. Went with a 2200 lumen canopy light to replace a flood light. Big difference. My side cameras I can now keep on color 24/7, and I could put my back deck on color, but then I'd lose a bit of view range into the backyard.
A 4kx/T would most likely be able to stay in color 24/7 and be able to keep the view range in back.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was able to dial things in a bit this morning before the, "have you gotten the plants cut back yet" war cry was heard. :)

Couple pics of a cool 1960 Nomad that went by a little bit ago. Front end picture is my older LPR, back end picture is the new LPR.

Attachments

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm debating moving camera 1, angle shown above in CoolCar1, to the right which would bring it to the corner where there is a STOP sign.
On one hand I would get the back plate on vehicles better, and during the day would show vehicles running the STOP sign, which could come in useful.

On the other hand, I would lose the ability to see front plates on vehicles turning left onto the street, but would get a better shot at getting front plates on right turning vehicles.

Anything missed I would most likely get the back plate on my second camera.

Opinions, observations? Thanks

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Decided to grab a LPR437 from @EMPIRETECANDY , showed up today so haven't gotten around to install yet.

A little bigger than the 5241, but not HUGE, in my opinion. Lots to learn on how to set this baby up, that's for sure.
If anyone happens to have this or the 237, what kind of screws did you use? I'm attaching to soffit, with aluminum bar to help sturdy things up.

I'm thinking #14 or even 1/2" screws?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Weather finally cooperated, and the 437 ANPR is up and running. :) I don't have it pointed, up/down, and all that in the final position yet, doing a few runs of day/night to see how things work out.

So far it works pretty good. The algorithms are a little off, in that it identifies all SUV's as "Heavy Truck", logo is wrong some times as well.
Seems to identify Lexus/Toyota, BMW, Chevy, pretty well so far.

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 437 is doing pretty good so far. I've noticed the local police use the newer printed license plates, hence they don't show up very well at night. I'm hoping there might be a way to get those a bit better with a few changes in the settings.

I'm waiting for wildcat' review of the 437 in hopes of picking up a few tips, and perhaps even be able to go color 24/7.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the 437 dialed in pretty good now. Every once in awhile it will miss a plate for no apparent reason, but I'd say it's hitting 98% of all plates. With the newer type of printed plates, it's pretty much 50/50 on a capture.
Not much I can do about that at the moment. I might attempt fooling around with color 24/7, but I'm not sure I have enough light for this camera.

One thing that is of interest to me, it seems now people are aware of my cameras since I put up the mini-ptz and the 437 ANPR.
I've noticed people slowing down in vehicles, people walking their dogs are now ALWAYS cleaning up after them, and even the neighbors lawn care that used to always blow their crap over onto my driveway/sidewalk etc.. have now stopped doing that while sneaking peeks at the cameras.

I'm thinking that even though I don't advertise the fact I have cameras, perhaps the word getting out to those looking to be up to no good, are deciding to go elsewhere.

I've also noticed a few miles from where I live, new town homes going up that have domed cameras on all the corners of the houses. This is the first I have seen where a builder is putting cameras on every house they're building.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera deterrence effect is interesting isn't it?
When I put 3 cameras in the Condo laundry rooms, that effect you speak of happened virtually overnight.
The Chronic Malcontents stopped writing NastyGrams on the bulletion boards as their way to communicate their mental illness.
Of course I realized those camera's needed support, and so I put up 3 in the hallways, watching the laundry, Elevator and Central Stairwell, doorways which really helped people " behave".

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Happened to be out getting my mail today and a neighbor came up to me, I said evening they said hello, then... yep, why do you have so many cameras? Are you trying to hide something? Blah blah blah...
Really caught me off guard, I really don't talk to this person very often, and just to come out and start like this.

Really, REALLY annoyed me. I stated that crime rates are going up, etc.. they just shook their head and walked away.

I'm questioning why, all of a sudden, that everyone seems to know I have cameras, and they ALL have an opinion that seems negative, except for those on my side of the street who ALL have cameras. It's really weird.
The only thing that has changed is adding the ANPR 437. I'm thinking this camera, mainly the white bar attachment, is causing the ruckus.

I could do a few things.
1) Just ignore all their comments. Though I do live in a HOA, and I have a feeling they're going to pass a, you can't have cameras, by-law. Which of course I, and all my neighbors, would be grand-fathered.
2) Move the camera about 5 feet, which would put it kind of behind a tree, making it less noticeable.
3) I could move the camera to my front porch, which would mean running a new cable, etc...

I just don't like the attention, and random people coming up all of a sudden really has me annoyed.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t even worry about it. My neighbors see me all the time up on a ladder cleaning cameras, moving them, adjusting them, etc…. Hell with em if they have a problem. I’m trying to keep myself and everyone else around me safe. If they can’t understand that then I don’t really care what their opinions are.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t even worry about it. My neighbors see me all the time up on a ladder cleaning cameras, moving them, adjusting them, etc…. Hell with em if they have a problem. I’m trying to keep myself and everyone else around me safe. If they can’t understand that then I don’t really care what their opinions are.
Of course you're correct. It's just the arruptness of the neighbor coming up and the anger. It was very strange. 20 years ago I would have had quite a bit to say right back, but being older, I've chilled quite a bit.
Don't get me wrong, don't threaten me, my family, dogs, or anyone I know... other than that, chill.. lol