Loving BI! But a few things I am still trying to figure out with BI.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A few things I am still trying to figure out with BI.

1. There are 3 encoder profiles to pick from on the iOS app. 3 options for LAN and 3 for WAN. I can't read what they are bc the app doesn't show the text to the right. How do I adjust the 3 profiles? I can't find anywhere in the BI windows 10 app to adjust the mobile streams?

2. My mobile streams on IOS are pretty smooth but very very pixelated. Is there a place in the menus that I can prioritize slower frame rate to the iPhone and but more clear photo with less pixelation at times? See photo below of the water and wood dock.

3. Can I switch from preset 1 during the day to preset 2 at night with my PTZ camera using blue iris or does all of that need to be done in the Dahua PTZ camera menu.

4. I reset my Dahua PTZ back to default and yet the old presets are still stored in the Blue Iris IOS app? How is that even possible? They are not listed in the Dahua Web GUI or anywhere else for that matter. I made new ones and they are don't change in the BI iOS app? See photo below.

Thanks so much

Attachments

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may be able o help with #3.

I change a few of my cameras at night to a slightly less contrast, due to low light, and a few others for contrast and brightness. Use the same process to set a different PTZ, then set it back for day.

Set the Sunrise/Sunset longitude/latitude for your location:
-----------------------------------------------------------
These settings will tell BI when Sunrise & Sunset occur each day, so that commands can be issued relative to Sunset/Sunrise. For example, 10 minutes before Sunset, 15 minutes after Sunrise.
This only has to be done once.
1. Open Blue Iris Options. Click Gear icon on main toolbar.
2. Select the 'Schedule' tab.
3. Do NOT click 'Enable', unless you want a global schedule. Which you probably do not.
4. Enter your locations Latitude & Longitude co-ordinates in the fields on the left.
You can fine this information here (link is also in Help): Find Latitude and Longitude
This is where I found mine. You can also use Google Maps, or Google Earth.
5.Click the 'About' tab, and export the Blue Iris settings.
Done.

To set a schedule for a camera:
-------------------------------
1. For the camera you want to change, select 'Properties'.
2. Export the current cameras settings to be safe. Call it 'Cam?? Before' or something that makes sense to you.
3. Click the 'Schedule' tab.
4. In the lower right, click the 'Event Schedule' button.
5. Click 'Enable'.
6. At the bottom, check 'Search-back at startup/reset'. This will look back to see if the command has been issued, and execute if not.
7. At the bottom, click 'Add'.
8. Click the 'Function' button and select the function (command) to perform. In your case 'PTZ Preset 1'
9. Check 'Relative to sunset/sunrise'.
10. Enter the time to issue the command. The current sunrise/sunset times are listed. If the time is different than the time in sunrise, each following day, BI will adjust it relative to that days sunrise. For example, if you set it to 10 minutes before the listed sunrise time, for each following day, it will continue to issue the commands 10 minutes before that days sunrise. Same for setting he time after. Same is true for sunset.
11. Click 'Add' and select 'PTZ Preset 2', and set the time you want it to be issued at/around sunset.
12. Make sure to click OK's all the way out to save your changes.
13. Always best to export any cameras changed to save the settings, then, Export the BI settings.

Lots of steps. But, it's really quite simple once you get the hang of it.
also, you can select the profiles you want to execute each function.

As a side note.... You can change the motion zones when you change to PTZ 2.
You may want to do this is there is a portion of the screen you do not want to detect motion, that is different than the PTZ 1 position.
1. Clicking 'PTZ/Control' in the cameras profile.
2. Click 'Edit presets'.
3. Select Preset 2
4. Check 'Override motion zones', then 'Edit'
5. Define the motion zone for PTZ 2. Here you can define the normal Zones & Hotspots that will be used when this command moves camera to PTZ 2.
6. Make sure to click OK's all the way out to save your changes.
7. Always best to export any cameras changed to save the settings, then, Export the BI settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) this is set in the webserver tab on the server and is then selectable on the phone or webserver browser page (at least with IE by right clicking)...this will allow you to choose a lower bitrate if you have poor signal or low bandwidth issues.
2) what is your max bitate set to? what is your upload speed?
3) see above.
4) the names are those which you entered in the blue iris ptz tab for the camera...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding #1 and the iOS client, just a heads up that after making changes on the BI server end, you may need to (on the iOS app) log out off the site (press the power button icon on the main page -- it will confirm that you want to logout) and then reconnect before your changes appear.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A few things I am still trying to figure out with BI.

1. There are 3 encoder profiles to pick from on the iOS app. 3 options for LAN and 3 for WAN. I can't read what they are bc the app doesn't show the text to the right.
1) If you turn your phone sideways so that it orients the screen to landscape mode you should be able to read all the text.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.!!!

1. Kind of hidden there. I did not see that option to change iOS app quality of the streams.
2. Max bit rate is set to 512k be default, is that too low? My upload speed is 8.68-10.73 Mbps
3. Just found the preset menu. Had no idea that was there. Ya'll should do a tutorial video on the advanced features of BI. You guys know so much! I spent hours trying to figure these items out before posting. @Dahua #Dahua sponsor these guys!!!

1) this is set in the webserver tab on the server and is then selectable on the phone or webserver browser page (at least with IE by right clicking)...this will allow you to choose a lower bitrate if you have poor signal or low bandwidth issues.
2) what is your max bitate set to? what is your upload speed?
3) see above.
4) the names are those which you entered in the blue iris ptz tab for the camera...

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding #1 and the iOS client, just a heads up that after making changes on the BI server end, you may need to (on the iOS app) log out off the site (press the power button icon on the main page -- it will confirm that you want to logout) and then reconnect before your changes appear.
Worked perfect.Thanks @aristobrat

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.!!!

1. Kind of hidden there. I did not see that option to change iOS app quality of the streams.
2. Max bit rate is set to 512k be default, is that too low? My upload speed is 8.68-10.73 Mbps
3. Just found the preset menu. Had no idea that was there. Ya'll should do a tutorial video on the advanced features of BI. You guys know so much! I spent hours trying to figure these items out before posting. @Dahua #Dahua sponsor these guys!!!
512 is way too low...2048 or 4096...