lost recording?

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have noticed this and i am not sure what to do. sometimes i will have an event occur that is longer than a few minutes and my recording skips like 2 minutes. have you seen this? camera is trigger motion set and after about 1-2 minutes it skips 2 minutes. basically 2 minutes lost even though i know there was motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have noticed this and i am not sure what to do. sometimes i will have an event occur that is longer than a few minutes and my recording skips like 2 minutes. have you seen this? camera is trigger motion set and after about 1-2 minutes it skips 2 minutes. basically 2 minutes lost even though i know there was motion.
Are you certain there is sufficient motion to trigger a new event? Do you have object detect reject disabled? What is the cpu consumption while recording?

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
absolutely. i do not have it disabled. should i? i know it was recommended to disable it which i did on all other cameras but i honestly forget why. i think it was cpu related? as for cpu, my issues are not there right now. i have not enabled my last two cameras so it sits at around 20-30 max.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
From the Blue Iris help file, regarding object detect/reject:

You should only use the Object detect/reject option when it is likely that there will be one moving object in the view at a time. This is because the software analyzes object motion and will reject motion that is not fluid enough in order to prevent false alarms. The algorithm will only recognize motion that follows a vector, an important precursor to eventual PTZ tracking; erratic object detection will be seen as noise.
Many things you might want to see are likely to not trigger a recording with this option enabled. For example, imagine the neighbor's dog walks into your yard and digs up your flower bed. This would likely involve lots of "erratic" object detection which does not follow a vector (a well defined direction of movement). So you might see the dog entering and exiting and have a few clips of him moving around in between, but there would likely be a lot of gaps when the dog was occupying the same space for an extended period of time. Even worse if there are two dogs because they would often register as separate objects and BI is going to throw it out when it detects more than one moving object. The benefit of all this is that you get far fewer false alarms on windy days or during storms with lots of rain or snow, because an aweful lot of the motion gets rejected.

Last edited:

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks. i missed this post. i will give that a try. for the mean time i set the camera to continuous recording.