Lost Archives

martinhine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. new to the forum but pretty familiar with BI. Have it on 3 pcs and the mobile app. Running about 34 cams, and all in all I'd rate it as the best bit of software of any type going around.... but. today when I wanted to prowl through some capture only a few hours old, I couldn't find it. I don't think I have reconfigured anything, and it just (all cams) has vanished, it seems that this maybe happened when profile 2 (Night time) initiated?? Not sure. Nothing in stored, nothing recycled, nada. The server has been reliable, (but no raid), so I'm curious as to where a daytime's footage may have gone. Anyone else had this experience? I have the settings at 200 gig storage and 7 day retention. Moved fro New to stored to recycle. Odd. Million thanks, great to be here.

Running win server 8 on a good box. Lots of ram and ssd's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all. new to the forum but pretty familiar with BI. Have it on 3 pcs and the mobile app. Running about 34 cams, and all in all I'd rate it as the best bit of software of any type going around.... but. today when I wanted to prowl through some capture only a few hours old, I couldn't find it. I don't think I have reconfigured anything, and it just (all cams) has vanished, it seems that this maybe happened when profile 2 (Night time) initiated?? Not sure. Nothing in stored, nothing recycled, nada. The server has been reliable, (but no raid), so I'm curious as to where a daytime's footage may have gone. Anyone else had this experience? I have the settings at 200 gig storage and 7 day retention. Moved fro New to stored to recycle. Odd. Million thanks, great to be here.

Running win server 8 on a good box. Lots of ram and ssd's.
if you only dedicated 200gig of storage to 34 cameras then that may explain why you dont have any footage. Are your cameras recording 24/7 or on motion? How much data do your cams write per hour?
Maybe you dont have recordings set properly with respect to profiles. You will need to post your motion and record settings for EACH profile as well as your clips and archiving settings for EACH folder (new ,storage)

martinhine

n3wb
Reaction score
They are all motion activated, some hardly triggering, the most prolific would capture about 4 hours through the day. I have 3 and 4 megapixel cams with the highest bit rate possible. I need solid footage. Facial recognition at 30 meters etc. For evidence... not deterrence! Ordinarily this has not occurred, I check drive space daily. I'm guessing it is just a PEBKAC issue. I'll work on it. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are all motion activated, some hardly triggering, the most prolific would capture about 4 hours through the day. I have 3 and 4 megapixel cams with the highest bit rate possible. I need solid footage. Facial recognition at 30 meters etc. For evidence... not deterrence! Ordinarily this has not occurred, I check drive space daily. I'm guessing it is just a PEBKAC issue. I'll work on it. Thanks.
There is no way you are getting facial recognition at 30m unless you have a zoom lens.
You need to post your settings. You likely have something set incorrectly, probably motion detection.

martinhine

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting facial recognition no problem. I didn't think that was too unusual. ie the ability to identify a person at that range (not activation), no problems. In key areas I have good IR lamps, and achieve sharp footage at night. These are all high spec outdoor cameras. 1080, 1920, 2560 resolution. Maximum framerate, Gbit wired lan. Hammers through the storage and is processor heavy but it's the only way in my view. PC is not the issue. I keep New for 2 days, up to 200 gig, then send it to stored for 2 day to be deleted. Pretty sure I don't grab 200 gig in that time, at any rate shouldn't it overwrite the oldest footage? Or does it just stop capturing?

martinhine

n3wb
Reaction score
Btw. It had captured the footage. and I looked at it on the day, But when I went to review it the next day, it was not available. That is, gone...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Btw. It had captured the footage. and I looked at it on the day, But when I went to review it the next day, it was not available. That is, gone...
then its likely your archive settings are incorrect. You are likely not allocating enough storage. Post images.

martinhine

n3wb
Reaction score
then its likely your archive settings are incorrect. You are likely not allocating enough storage. Post images.
Yes I think you are right. The Cams chew the bandwidth. I have been adding cams and installing cams with specific attributes for certain areas, ie narrow angle/long IR, wide angle/short throw IR in entrances etc, so I have several different cams. I had a rubbish DVR system (low res... waste of time), but have realized that there is no point doing it unless it is bullet proof. IP Full HD only way to go for me. I will take some screen grabs and upload them soon. I live on a windy beach area, so you can imagine the waves and wind triggering every second, obviously many areas are masked, and object detection/contrast etc are finely tweaked to pick up the relevant subjects. It's a work in progress to say the least. Thanks for your help... I'll be back.