Loryta/Dahua SD1A404XB-GNR No color issue

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just bought this cam yesterday to go above my owlcam. I thought I'd test it out before I put it 15' up in a tree. I have it mounted on a board that is attached to a ladder. This morning I get up and it is in B & W with a lot of light in the room. I shouldn't need to tell it to be in color during the day time. Does this cam need to go back? This is very disappointing :( I bought this because it is supposed to do well in low light.If you can explain where I go to check my settings I'd appreciate it. I prefer using PSS. Thanks in advance for your time! okiebirdnerd

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP so it will take more light to go to color. I wouldn't consider it a low light camera.

Change the sensitivity to high and reduce the time to the minimum and maybe it will kick to color faster.

Plus I would be concerned about the issues domes have outside.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1666102077898.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well that is not what I want to hear. I'm bummed. I will see if I can find the setting you are talking about. Thank you for your time. Right now I have the Amcrest IP5M-T1179E and I want a cam that I have have a mic hook up. The wind is horrible. I attached a pic with the owlets and the specs for the Loryta. I need to get a cam to replace the turret above the barrel and it needs to be able to have an external mic. It also needs to do well in low light. Any suggestions?

That is a 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP so it will take more light to go to color. I wouldn't consider it a low light camera.

Change the sensitivity to high and reduce the time to the minimum and maybe it will kick to color faster.

Plus I would be concerned about the issues domes have outside.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight

Attachments

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The setting is under day and night that is open on your screen shot above. Change medium to high and select the shortest time.
I have had to do the opposite and set it to low under certain conditions, The Camera was in a spot that got shady about 7pm, it was viewing the side of a house that was still reflecting lots of bright light, Must have been the contrast in the field of view between sun and shade but it would kick into IR mode every day. I set it to low and it fixed it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take it off auto and change to color and hit save and refresh then go back and change to auto and see if it stays color. I have had to do that a few times and it seems to "calibrate" for your light (don't think an official calibrate but it has worked for me lol)

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I changed to color and it went to color. I then put it on auto and it still has color. But isn't there a problem? What happens if I leave it on color? Thank you!

Take it off auto and change to color and hit save and refresh then go back and change to auto and see if it stays color. I have had to do that a few times and it seems to "calibrate" for your light (don't think an official calibrate but it has worked for me lol)

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did what you said and it is now in color, but there must be an issue with this cam. If my turret cam I have above the barrel now had an external mic, I'd be pleased. Do they not make turrets with an external mic hook up? I really need to get a cam up in a new tree with a new barrel so I can observe and see if they will accept this new location. I am afraid to let them use the current barrel. It is hollow at the base and I'm afraid it will fall with owlets in it. I can't remove the existing barrel until I know they will use the new one. I have had this pair of owls for 7 years. I don't want to loose them :(

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay so what will happen if I leave these settings as they are? I guess I will see what happens tonight. But will it go to B & W tonight when it gets dark? Thanks again for your time!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So now put it back to auto and it should then stay in color and then at night go to B/W and then hopefully this will cause it to go to color tomorrow.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So now put it back to auto and it should then stay in color and then at night go to B/W and then hopefully this will cause it to go to color tomorrow.
Ok, I changed it to Auto but left it on high and 2 seconds. So if it goes to B & W earlier than I like, can I change it to where it will wait until later in the evening. My Amcrest always seems to go to B & W about when the owls come in :( Thanks again! So is there a bullet or turret that has an audio plug and will do well in low light? The cam will be about 30" from the top of the barrel. I really liked the angle the turret provided and I'm afraid I won't have that with this cam. I could capture when the owl was flying in.

Attachments

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under the "Profile" button you will find several other selections other than Day (General, Night). Those that will affect your overnight color.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, you can set up a Day profile for color and a night profile for B/W and then use the schedule to change between.

The 5442 turret camera has audio built-in and is the current low light champ. It sports a much larger 1/1.8" sensor.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, you can set up a Day profile for color and a night profile for B/W and then use the schedule to change between.

The 5442 turret camera has audio built-in and is the current low light champ. It sports a much larger 1/1.8" sensor.
Well I came into my PC room today and there is a lot of light from the window and the overhead light and the cam is stuck in night vision. So I guess it will be returned :( I need to have a cam that supports an external mic. There is no way to block the wind in a tree from a mic built into the cam like the 5442. I am using the T1799e turret now above the barrel and the wind noise is horrid and can't hear the owls..is it possible to hookup an external IR light so I can keep the cam on color mode? If so, what IR light do you suggest?

Last edited: