Lorex vs. Blue Iris

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Lorex system and stumbled across Blue Iris.
Maybe there's 100 threads that already discuss this, if so apologies, but...

Priced out a Lorex Fusion NVR with about 8 cams and doorbell for about $1200.
I can DIY, fairly tech savvy, I'll figure it out.
Wondering if Blue Iris is a better setup.

1/2 acre lot, 8 cameras, most can we wired, but a couple of wi-fi cameras needed and a wifi doorbell
Mian thing is I need a good ios app for remote monitoring that doesn't send me 1000 false signals and would like to connect to a TV monitor in my main room.

I don't need ultra top of the line equipment, middle of the road is good with me, probably 100ft radius from house is what I need to monitor.

Suggestions?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Lorex system and stumbled across Blue Iris.
Maybe there's 100 threads that already discuss this, if so apologies, but...

Priced out a Lorex Fusion NVR with about 8 cams and doorbell for about $1200.
I can DIY, fairly tech savvy, I'll figure it out.
Wondering if Blue Iris is a better setup.

1/2 acre lot, 8 cameras, most can we wired, but a couple of wi-fi cameras needed and a wifi doorbell
Mian thing is I need a good ios app for remote monitoring that doesn't send me 1000 false signals and would like to connect to a TV monitor in my main room.

I don't need ultra top of the line equipment, middle of the road is good with me, probably 100ft radius from house is what I need to monitor.

Suggestions?
Welcome @realmagicmike

Please share more info on the particular Lorex kit you picked up .. model of NVR, model of cameras ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of the big problem with all-in-one box kits is they provide wide angle high MP cameras on sensors designed for 2MP, so they are poor at night.

Further the wide angle means you will only get IDENTIFY at 10 feet or less from the camera. 4K will do nothing for you and actually since it is stuffed on a sensor designed for 2MP, a 2MP will actually be better.

See this thread on selecting the correct camera for the area you are looking to cover:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As @wittaj noted, I started with a Lorex system. I bought and installed a Lorex analog MPX system. They were 2MP cameras in 2.8mm focal lengths. I then won a Lorex giveaway and was sent a 2K IP camera system with 2 turrets and 4 bullets. I ran the two systems in parallel. The NVR experience was not great. It was always a pain to pull the footage off and I never knew if I was going to get the full video I wanted or just a 2 second portion of it. I never knew I needed to adjust the camera settings, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

What ultimately pushed me to BI and Loryta/Empiretech cameras was when my house was struck by lightning; it took out my Lorex systems and I needed to start over. From the little dabbling I did with the NVR my BI experience has been night and day. I am currently running 31 cameras. Between my two Lorex systems I was running 14 or 16 and when I was asking about a BI PC I mentioned not running more than 16... An NVR would have a hard time being able to run all of these. Cameras multiply like rabbits; once you can see part of your property you will want to see all of your property. This is especially true when something happens and you realize there is a hole in your coverage.

The cameras you will get with the Lorex system will be just OK. A properly spec'd Loryta/Empiretech camera may increase your budget a little, but the goal is to have usable footage. I look at my camera system as an investment; let's say the whole thing has cost me $5000. That is a lot of money, but I now have a higher chance of catching the vandals, thieves, stranger dangerers, etc that come around my house and, because of this, have a greater chance of recovering my loss. If I had not made the investment I would likely be out my loss PLUS adding on the cost of the system for the next time it might happen. I have had a couple friends get interested in putting in a system, but it never goes anywhere once I tell them it's more than just slapping up a couple cameras from Costco.

I have come a long way in a short amount of time and have been fortunate enough to be able to retain the footage to document my learning journey. Check out my thread below. The first group of captures are from my Lorex systems. You can see the difference between a basic system of just wanting to see around your house vs a purposefully installed system of wanting to ID.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
+1^^ to this post above. I had a similar experience path.....etc.
minus the lightning. Oh...thought...."Hey honey....Looks like lightning fried the Amcrest LOL"
.....too bad we can't buy a thunderstorm in Minneapolis anymore. feels dry as the desert southwest since the snow melted.
I'm running 2 cams on the Amcrest DVR (analog), 5-6 Ip cams are associated with the Amcrest 4108 NVR,
But 11 are showing in Blue Iris.
After I got proficient with Blue iris,
I stopped using the DVR/NVR to seek footage related to motion incidents. It wasn't worth the time.

Reaction score
Welcome @realmagicmike

Please share more info on the particular Lorex kit you picked up .. model of NVR, model of cameras ..
I haven't picked up anything yet. Was going to buy Lorex Fusion NVR #N845A62 with a bunch of #E896AB cameras until I landed on this site.

Is it realistic to put something decent together in the $1000-$2000 range with ~8 cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, especially if you get cams on Andy's sale in a few weeks.

The 5442-ZE goes for $189. Even without the sale, you would be at 8&$190 = $1520.

But maybe you can get buy with some fixed lens cams and that would bring that down some.

Then would need an NVR or BI/PC - say $500ish for NVR and hard drive or for computer/hard drive/POE Switch

And you don't have to do at once. Get a 5442-ZE and temp mount it around different places around the house to help you decide key spots and secondary spots.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I haven't picked up anything yet. Was going to buy Lorex Fusion NVR #N845A62 with a bunch of #E896AB cameras until I landed on this site.

Is it realistic to put something decent together in the $1000-$2000 range with ~8 cameras?
You definitely came to the right place. People here are NOT going to steer you in the wrong direction.

Even at $150 to $250 per EmpireTech camera, your picture quality and level of detail are going to be WORLDS BETTER than the Lorex kit. Catch them on sale, and save a few bucks per camera. Eight (8) cameras at $150 is $1200. Blue Iris is another $60 or so. A used PC (Intel i5/i7 8th Generation or later) can be had for about $200 on eBay, or you might have one laying around. Hard disk drives are about $200 for an 8TB WD Purple, a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD is about $50, and RAM is inexpensive, another <$100 if needed.

Blue Iris does well with about 16GB of RAM running on an i5/i7. Put the Windows operating system and Blue Iris application on the SSD, and store all video on the HDD.

Finally, one last word. You can trust Andy / EmpireTech / Loryta 110%. Andy has been a loyal and trustworthy member of this site for years, has an Amazon store for US customers, and provides technical support par excellence. I've purchased every one of my outdoor cameras from Andy, and there has NEVER been any delay or issue. Top-notch service, highest-quality Dahua international cameras with 100% upgradeable firmware (but don't do it unless absolutely necessary), and never any worries.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
You definitely came to the right place. People here are NOT going to steer you in the wrong direction.

Even at $150 to $250 per EmpireTech camera, your picture quality and level of detail are going to be WORLDS BETTER than the Lorex kit. Catch them on sale, and save a few bucks per camera. Eight (8) cameras at $150 is $1200. Blue Iris is another $60 or so. A used PC (Intel i5/i7 8th Generation or later) can be had for about $200 on eBay, or you might have one laying around. Hard disk drives are about $200 for an 8TB WD Purple, a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD is about $50, and RAM is inexpensive, another <$100 if needed.

Blue Iris does well with about 16GB of RAM running on an i5/i7. Put the Windows operating system and Blue Iris application on the SSD, and store all video on the HDD.
I have been running EXOS drives without issue. 14tb for the same price as the 8tb WD Purple.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks @realmagicmike

I would definitely look for cameras which have larger sensors ..

1688396137797.png

1688396081547.png

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
That 8MP/4K cam's 1/2.8" sensor may be suitable for a 2MP; its night performance will be very bad.
An 8MP/4K cam's sensor should be no smaller than 1/1.8"; a 1/1/2" would be even better

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

Reaction score
thanks everyone! this has to be one of the best forums I've encountered. so much genuine, quick and helpful feedback.

definitely looks like i can do better than the Lorex setup, so will be looking at all the camera advice above as I figure out what to buy.

are there any good threads on here about the pros and cons of PC vs. NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the search tool of all the NVR versus BI comparisons:

blue iris vs nvr ip cam site:ipcamtalk.com - Google Search

I had NVRs for many years. It was a frustrating experience.

There is a big debate here on which is better. Personally I found the NVRs to be too clunky and not very user friendly and got to the point that I was reactive instead of proactive. I literally tested BI and knew within a few minutes it was better than any NVR I ever had.

Like literally I would go months on end not even looking at the NVR videos because the interface was too clunky and would take forever to pull up any motion from the night before. And ended up turning off the alerts because there were so many false triggers. I would only look at it if I could tell someone messed with something on my property or a neighbor asked me if my cameras caught anything.

With BI, in addition to being able to configure it such that I get notifications whenever someone gets too close to my house, I can literally in less than 30 seconds every morning do a quick review to see if there was any suspicious activity or people walking down the sidewalk at 2am. I could never do it that fast with an NVR.

I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Most I ever got was 2.5 years. The only working part was the HDD that I simply moved from the old NVR to the new one. I got to the point of realizing that an NVR is simply a stripped down computer, so I went to BI and never looked back. I got tired of buying a whole new unit.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

Personally I gave up on NVRs because I have found them to be clunky and a struggle to review clips and if a component goes out like the internet port, then you are stuck buying a new NVR whereas a computer part goes out and you replace just that component. I went to BI on a dedicated machine and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind an NVR is simply a watered down computer....

You can use the camera AI to trigger events in BI.

An NVR is way less secure on the internet than a BI computer. NVRs are rarely provided with updates to fix vulnerabilities. Your BI computer can get constant antivirus updates or Windows updates if you want to (though most of us disable them and it is still more secure than an NVR).

One of many areas where I think BI does a better job is how it displays the alerts/timeline, and I believe it is still the same as when I last ran SmartPSS and DMSS.

As we can see from this screenshot, it gives a green timeline with lines at various times to show when it triggered. Over to the right is a graphic/text representation of each trigger, but no image of the trigger.

1676253571095.png

So when I wanted to find or look at something, I needed to click each one until I found what I was looking for.

Wanna know when UPS came by in an NVR....well just start clicking on the timeline triggers till you see the UPS truck. May take awhile depending on the amount of traffic that goes by.

With BI, it gives alert thumbnails, so I can quickly scroll and find UPS way quicker than I ever could with an NVR playback timeline.

1672707276383.png

Or if you want to be notified when UPS, or FEDEX, or USPS comes by, with BI AI, you can set up an alert just for those vehicles. Good luck doing that with an NVR.

But to me, the thumbnails are invaluable. I can quickly scroll it at night and look for any activity instead of having to click each one and be like "oh that is John coming home" If I recognize the vehicle or person in the image, no need to investigate further.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started with Lorex cameras, 1 is still being used out back for a view straight from my electrical box, so if anyone walks up trying to cut the power, or any of my internet, this camera will catch it. Otherwise all the other Lorex cameras are either sold off to neighbors or sitting in a box.

As for the NVR/PC debate. I have a Dahua 5216 4ks2e and think it's very nice. The updated models make looking things up very easy. I can check what happened over night in a few mouse clicks and a few minutes later I'm done.
Much like a Blue Iris/PC combination. If you decide to go the NVR route, purchase one with more camera capacity than you think you'll need. I should have purchased the 5232 for $50 more, but.. :shrugs: live and learn.

If I had to do it over? I'd probably go the Blue Iris route, just for the ability to expand without worrying about anything. But if you just basically want plug and play without screwing around with a lot of settings, then the NVR is probably the way to go.
If you like to screw around with settings, see yourself expanding down the road, etc.. go Blue Iris.

$1500 or so for the cameras, you'll end up with more before you're done.. lol.. You'll find out about PTZ, License Plate cameras, etc.. $500 for the computer, switches, etc...

Great time to purchase with the sale coming up as well.

Last edited: