Lorex NR916x has lost its mind. Can I reinstall the OS?

xr280xr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. My 3 year old Lorex NR916x NVR has started going berserk. I usually manage it through the iOS app but I tried to manage it directly one day, it has this “Record” dialog on screen. When I dismiss the screen with save or cancel, it immediately reappears. It won’t go away and changes to it will not persist (it changes the checkboxes back after a moment before even saving).

I contacted Lorex support and they had me reset to factory settings but it didn’t work. Before logging in as admin, there is no Record dialog but as soon as I log in, it came back. So now I had the same problem and all my configuration (and cameras) were lost. At that point they said they’d have to pass it 2nd tier support and would get back to me but because it’s out of warranty I might just have to buy a new one. 2 months later, never heard from them again. I painstakingly managed to get my cameras reconnected and recording, but have found that it’s ignoring other changes I make too. Since resetting, it will only record continuously and will not record motion events even though the UI shows it’s set to do the opposite.

So to me it seems like it’s operating system needs to be reinstalled, or it has bad HD sectors or RAM, or corrupted firmware update. My first question is, does anyone know if its OS is purely firmware or if it’s installed on the hard drives? And second, of course, how can I reinstall it? Is it possible?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is not installed on the hard drives. It is on the board itself within the NVR.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
So to me it seems like it’s operating system needs to be reinstalled, or it has bad HD sectors or RAM, or corrupted firmware update. My first question is, does anyone know if its OS is purely firmware or if it’s installed on the hard drives? And second, of course, how can I reinstall it? Is it possible?
Maybe try a reset via the reset button on the mother board inside.

One thing that might be causing troubles to the NVR is if you have a really high resolution camera or it trying to decode an ONVIF camera.
Decoding a video stream it doesn't like takes a lot of processing power.