Lorex N842 NVR working but Lorex Home app no longer showing "Events"

CanMan20

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I might have done but I was adjusting motion recording sensitivity yesterday and since then am no longer seeing any "events" in the Lorex Home App (on either mine or my wife's phone).

Situation is this: Setup motion detection for a couple of cameras connected to the N842 NVR :
  • Can live stream the cameras from the app - WORKS
  • Can receive push notifications to the phone - WORKS
  • If for a particular camera, I go to "timeline" -> three bars on the right -> Device Recording (on the app) then I can see all of the motion events recordings and play them back successfully - WORKS
  • But nothing in the "events" menu (the Bell icon) in the app

I used to have tonnes of entries under events. With the little red notification count bubbles for each camera. Now nothing.

So I'm confused as to how "events" are populated in the Lorex Home App and transmitted from the NVR? (Android 10).

Things I've tried:
  1. Rebooting the NVR
  2. Rebooting each camera
  3. Force stops of the app and reboots of the phone
  4. Clearing the cache and app data
  5. De-registering the device (NVR) from the app and re-adding it

Still nothing shows in events. Prior to the force stop and clearing cache and app data, there were hundreds in "events" but they all ended yesterday around the time I was working on motion settings on the NVR. I had events regardless of whether push notifications were enabled or not.

Can anyone explain how "events" work and why they may not be appearing in the app anymore?

P.S. The online manual seems to be a little out of date and calls them "activities". What I'm referring to however, is shown here: Lorex Home for iOS & Android

Thanks

CanMan20

n3wb
Reaction score
Could be my set up or it could be Lorex having an issue with the app's underlying service. As since posting I manually triggered a motion detection (walked in front of camera) to get another push notification to my phone.

When I received the notification, some of the "events" for that particular camera magically re-appeared in the app! Entire list was blank before. Interestingly though, I am not able to actually find or to actually play back this test event. It's listed in "events" now but when tap on it to actually see, it lists other events, but not that one! Most recent one was from 1h 58 mins prior. Screenshot:

2020-12-30_16-03-41.jpg

I can see it in the "timeline" as before.

Still nothing from the other cameras though.

Hence not sure if I have a setup issue or whether Lorex is having a service issue?

CanMan20

n3wb
Reaction score
Have You tried using the Dahua DMSS app?
Interesting suggestion.... I hadn't used that app before but just tried it now. It's quite a bit more industrial strength. Works for viewing live and playback in the timeline (as does the Lorex app). But I don't see an equivalent in that app to "Events".

Though I do like that it gives the option for variable speed playback.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to turn motion notifications on under device . Should pop up below under messages

CanMan20

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems to have been a service side error. Last night the events started to reappear, in batches, and sometimes out of order.

Not many events yet this morning but what there is, is working as expected (as far as I can tell).

If I were to guess, events go from our NVRs to some Lorex cloud infrastructure the that the app then pulls from. Some sort of message queuing and distribution system or pub-sub like Kafka or something. In AWS or another cloud. Or possibly on-premises. Sometimes those message brokers break or fill up and their horizontal scaling nature explains why queue delivery order is not guaranteed.

Just my guess. But things appear to be better now and it seems to have fixed itself.

Chrissy

n3wb
Reaction score
Factory reset your recording device worked right away for me
Also if it corrupts just unplug and plug back in and format and if u wish factory reset

Saini

n3wb
Reaction score
Factory reset your recording device worked right away for me
Also if it corrupts just unplug and plug back in and format and if u wish factory reset
How can we factory reset.
Is there switch on nvr?
Thanks