Lorex LNB8963B is this a LPR?

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi members, new to this site looking for as much help as possible for a newbie who just wants an LTR to work. Seems like every unit ive bought doesnt give me the clarity I want. The Lorex LNB8963B is my latest challenge, is this an LPR, if not can someone help me setup a low cost system? Any input would be much appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That camera is not a true LPR, but could possibly work.

That camera would only work if you can get within 25 feet of the plate. It is all about OPTICAL zoom and shutter speed. DIGITAL zoom will not work, especially at night.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1671987319657.png

This is the camera most of us use

And make sure you check out the LPR subforum

Post a screenshot of your image and we can probably tell if you are close enough with the right angle.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
That camera is not a true LPR, but could possibly work.

That camera would only work if you can get within 25 feet of the plate. It is all about OPTICAL zoom and shutter speed. DIGITAL zoom will not work, especially at night.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

View attachment 149161

This is the camera most of us use

And make sure you check out the LPR subforum

Post a screenshot of your image and we can probably tell if you are close enough with the right angle.
Thank you @wittaj! As for a NVR could I use my Lorex or would you suggest something else?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea the NVR is fine with the camera i suggested (my neighbor has the same after he figured out his cam couldnt read plates and the same company makes the camera and that NVR), just keep in mind it would be you manually reading the plates. It is a camera that is double the price that has the ability to read and log the plates and you would need a different NVR as well.

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea the NVR is fine with the camera i suggested (my neighbor has the same after he figured out his cam couldnt read plates and the same company makes the camera and that NVR), just keep in mind it would be you manually reading the plates. It is a camera that is double the price that has the ability to read and log the plates and you would need a different NVR as well.
As for height and angle, would I need to keep it at 12-16ft high with a 30 degree angle?(from what I have been reading) Currently Ive been mounting my cam underneath the soffit which is 16-18ft and would assume the angle is more then 30 degrees since its mounted higher up. Thoughts?

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the angle I’m shooting from, not straight on, will the camera still be able to read the plate?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A picture didn't come thru, but my image above is 30 feet high at 30 degree angle. It is all about optical zoom and distance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you at full zoom in? Look to be right on verge of being able to get plates.

Get it off auto shutter and run it 1/2000 night and 1/4000 day and you should be able to read. Daytime probably can with some digital zoom but night might have a little trouble with that cam.

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you at full zoom in? Look to be right on verge of being able to get plates.

Get it off auto shutter and run it 1/2000 night and 1/4000 day and you should be able to read. Daytime probably can with some digital zoom but night might have a little trouble with that cam.
It’s on manual, full zoom, and setting is at “night” there’s no shutter speed selection on the NVR. I hope the camera you suggested will make. Difference!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera I suggested will get you the plates. Many of us use the Z12E. And with the Z12E having way more zoom than your current camera, you could probably angle it further down the street to get a more straight on shot (unless there are trees blocking LOL).

NEVER make a setting for a camera in the NVR. You need to do it in the camera. Try this and see if you get access to more stuff. Your screen will look a little different since this is a a Dahua NVR, but Lorex is made by Dahua so it basically looks similar.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1672014013996.png

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera I suggested will get you the plates. Many of us use the Z12E. And with the Z12E having way more zoom than your current camera, you could probably angle it further down the street to get a more straight on shot (unless there are trees blocking LOL).

NEVER make a setting for a camera in the NVR. You need to do it in the camera. Try this and see if you get access to more stuff. Your screen will look a little different since this is a a Dahua NVR, but Lorex is made by Dahua so it basically looks similar.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

View attachment 149187
I’ll give it a shot and see what happens. I really appreciate your input, I was hoping it was just plug and play, lol!

Reaction score
SIMPLY LPR.JPG

See these threads:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, but they are the same price, so I go for more optical zoom LOL, especially if he can lessen the angle.

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 149187
I clicked on the blue IE and it opened up another sign-in for lorex and when I type in my password it says it’s invalid, why is this when I was able to log on when I typed in my IP address?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you have done something out of the ordinary, the password for the camera should be the same as the NVR.

What usually happens is someone plugs a camera into the NVR POE port and the NVR assigns it an IP address and makes the user/password the same as the NVR.

engbr

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless you have done something out of the ordinary, the password for the camera should be the same as the NVR.

What usually happens is someone plugs a camera into the NVR POE port and the NVR assigns it an IP address and makes the user/password the same as the NVR.
I’ll unplug and re-plug it back and see what happens. Tho I did notice when it declined my password it showed a different s/n then the one on the NVR.