Lorex cameras from Costco - are they any good? Dahua equivalent?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several years ago, my neighbor was bragging to me how he he found a sweet deal on some varifocal cams and showed me how he could optically zoom them in to like his car and stuff. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed 60 feet away to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Guess what his system was....you guessed it the Costco Lorex 4k system....after he saw what my cameras could do, he started replacing the cams from his Costco system with Andy cams, which was $1,300 box kit that supposedly had better cameras than the typical box set.... They were varifocal, but 4K on a 1/2.8" sensor will suck at night with motion as my neighbor found out.

His cameras have "IVS" but it is limited. Rule 1 is for people and Rule 2 is for cars. Could only do two IVS rules.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
His cameras have "IVS" but it is limited. Rule 1 is for people and Rule 2 is for cars. Could only do two IVS rules.
I was loose on the terminology. The main IVS I use is line crossing and intrusion and I'm pretty reluctant to give that up.