Looking to upgrade from Arlo's 1st Gen

jmart

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just started my research. I currently have Arlo's 1st Gen and I am getting tired of replacing the batteries and the quality is just ok. I have 2 neighbors that bought a Lorex system which is the 4k. I saw it in action and seemed pretty good. I came here to read up on some systems and cameras. I understand that Lorex was bought out by Dahua and I guess Lorex rebrands there cameras. Anyway, I'm looking at the below product from Lorex direct. I'm sure even the Costco Lorex systems will be better than my Arlos. What are your thoughts on this system?

4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 8 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 200ft Night Vision

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just started my research. I currently have Arlo's 1st Gen and I am getting tired of replacing the batteries and the quality is just ok. I have 2 neighbors that bought a Lorex system which is the 4k. I saw it in action and seemed pretty good. I came here to read up on some systems and cameras. I understand that Lorex was bought out by Dahua and I guess Lorex rebrands there cameras. Anyway, I'm looking at the below product from Lorex direct. I'm sure even the Costco Lorex systems will be better than my Arlos. What are your thoughts on this system?

Thanks!
I suggest you go to the Dahua area and read about the Starlight's. Don't fall for the megapixel game. More megapixel s, worse performance at night

jmart

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns I was searching a lot on this site today. :) I was thinking the Lorex as a base and then adding 3 or 4 Starlight's. Not to sure yet. What Dahua NVRs are good say 16 channel?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@jmart, I haven't seen anything above 3MP that performs as well as the Starlight models do at night. Having fewer megapixels + the Sony STARVIS sensor are what make the Starlights work so well at night. I have a Dahua camera with 6MP + a Sony STARVIS sensor. Dahua does not consider its night performance to be in the Starlight category (even with a STARVIS sensor), and I'd agree. I mean, it's not god-awful at night, but it's got a lot more grain in the picture than a Starlight does. I couldn't imagine Lorex got a 8MP camera to work as well as a Starlight. I think it will be huge huge news here when/if Lorex ever gets Starlight quality cameras in their lineup!

For your NVR question, there are some good owners threads for the NVR5216-4KS2 in the Dahua forum. There were some firmware issues earlier this year (random reboots, jerky video when IVS clips start), all since fixed <so don't let that dissuade you if you see talk about them>.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks!
Hi Jmart,

Just about anything wired will be superior to the 1st gen Arlos. They are very poor performers at night due to being battery powered.

There were some really good deals from Lorex for that and similar kits over BF-cyberweek and even into Christmas. Unfortunately all the good deals are over now from lorex directly.

You may still see some flipping products on ebay for a living from those deals.

The lorex NVR and Cameras are Dahua OEMs and as such are good hardware, however they have removed the IVS features - which the original firmware had.

At the current prices from Lorex ( or those reselling Lorex products on ebay ) I would recommend dropping Andy a note and requesting a quote.( @EMPIRETECANDY here )
He should be able to provide a similar model which is at least slightly better ( with microSD card slot often, and IVS features still in the firmware )

I believe Andy should be able to give you a slightly better kit for a bit of a savings.

The Costco kit for $699, is a decent compromise if you've got a tighter budget - I would add 2 Dahua OEM starlights to it.
( there's a thread on that kit here on IPCT - search "fyi costco dahua lorex" in the titles )

If you can afford more, it is nice to have a NVR with more PoE ports and the ability to have 2 HDDs.

Another option which is popular here is getting a windows i5/i7 PC + Blue Iris SW + PoE switch + Dahua OEM starlight cameras.

So you do have a few good options to consider.

Note: The Nocturnal line of cameras from Lorex while using the Stravis sensor are not actually considered "starlights" as a Dahua "starlight" is actually a subset of the cameras using the Stravis sensor ( typically only the 2MP version does very well in low light, the 8MP does good - better than other sensor 8MP. )