Looking to add Cameras at home.....

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
New here and looking at adding cameras to the outside of the house. Probably start with 3 and see what it will cover and if that will be enough for my needs.
1 covering the front door
1 covering the driveway
1 covering the backyard/gate entry

Need to be POE, dome style.

Want good coverage during day, night and probably decent distance as we have a longer drive way.

I have read some of the intro stuff but how about recommendations broken down by price range:
$100
$100 - $150
$150 -200

I was thinking more the $100/camera but if it isn't going to get it done correctly sometimes you need to change your budget.

How is the Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM as a camera?

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
New here and looking at adding cameras to the outside of the house. Probably start with 3 and see what it will cover and if that will be enough for my needs.
1 covering the front door
1 covering the driveway
1 covering the backyard/gate entry

Need to be POE, dome style.

Want good coverage during day, night and probably decent distance as we have a longer drive way.

I have read some of the intro stuff but how about recommendations broken down by price range:
$100
$100 - $150
$150 -200

I was thinking more the $100/camera but if it isn't going to get it done correctly sometimes you need to change your budget.

How is the Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM as a camera?
Stay away from the dome style for outdoor use. They will fog up and reflect light. Go with Dahua turret cameras. Amcrest is a rebranded Dahua cam.
Check out the cliff notes....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. Lots of info there.

You need a plan. Stating "...Want good coverage during day, night and probably decent distance as we have a longer drive way..." is not a plan. Without defining EXACTLY what you need from each of those views, no one can give you a decent recommendation other than get the Dahua T5442 varifocal, which is the current best bang for buck cam for low light performance.

If all you are looking for is overview views, then any cheep Dahua OEM cam will do. If you are really serious about getting a face shot good enough to give to police, then you need to define the parameters for each coverage spot.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the enchanted land of video surveillance lunatics.

General tips for getting started.

Above all, don't rush into this, you'll end up frustrated and waste time, effort and money.

Start out by looking in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a ton of very useful information in there and it needs to be viewed on a computer, not a phone or tablet. The Cliff Notes will be of particular interest although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point. The best way to determine what kind of camera you need in each location and where each location should really be is to buy one varifocal camera first and set up a test stand for it that can be easily moved around. Test using that, viewing using the web interface of the camera, during the day and at night. Have someone walk around behaving like a miscreant and see if you can identify them. There is also information for choosing hardware and securing the system along with a whole bunch of other good stuff.

Don't chase megapixels unless you have a really BIG budget. General rule of thumb is that a 4MP camera will easily outperform an 8MP camera when they both have the same sensor size. Reason being that there are twice as many pixels in the 8MP versus the 4MP. This results in only half the available light getting to each pixel in an 8MP that a pixel in the 4MP "sees".

A dedicated PC doesn't need to be either expensive to purchase or to run. A used business class machine can be had from eBay and various other sources. The advances made in Blue Iris make it easily possible to run a fairly large system on relatively inexpensive hardware which also makes power consumption low, as in under 50 watts in many cases. The biggest expenses turn out to be hard drives for storing video and a PoE switch to power the cameras and, of course, the cameras themselves.

Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar specs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

VPN Information Thread

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I meant turret model not dome.....

How does the Amcrest stack up against the 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". ?

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. Lots of info there.

You need a plan. Stating "...Want good coverage during day, night and probably decent distance as we have a longer drive way..." is not a plan. Without defining EXACTLY what you need from each of those views, no one can give you a decent recommendation other than get the Dahua T5442 varifocal, which is the current best bang for buck cam for low light performance.

If all you are looking for is overview views, then any cheep Dahua OEM cam will do. If you are really serious about getting a face shot good enough to give to police, then you need to define the parameters for each coverage spot.
Ok I will do some measurements, etc and define more what I am looking for. Yes face shots when possible, etc.

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so here is some rough drafts for you . Want good night vision, face detection, etc. We have had incidents in our neighborhood in the past.
Front Door Options
Option 1: Mount it on the wall facing the front door and neighbors house
Option_1.jpg

Options 2,3,4:
2 (orange) center mounted facing front door/driveway.
3 (red) 2nd post mounted facing front door/driveway. I am thinking this might be the best placement for front door.
4 (Green) 3rd post mounted facing front door/driveway. Might be to far back and catch some of the bump out.
Option_2_3_4.jpg

Last edited:

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Driveway Views

View 1
Driveway_1.jpg

View 2
driveway_2.jpg

Mount 1 for View 1

Item in red rough mount
Driveway_mount1.jpg

Mount 2 for View 2

Item in red pointed down the driveway.
Driveway_mount2.jpg

3/4th option as well

Orange or Red depending on what might have better Viewing angle.

OtherDriveway.jpg

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Backyard thoughts. Same thing good night vision, face detection, etc

View from mount 1 idea.

Backyard1.jpg

Mounting options.

The red item is for view above. Orange is another area maybe but I think the View/mount 1 covers that area.

Mount at corner to gate which is right of bird bath in pic is 35'.
Mount at corner to left of steps on desk is 25'.

Backyard_Mount1.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks more reading to do!
Hi @chip_

You've got some good ideas, some of your placement locations could be too high, so I do suggest testing them out before making a commitment.

In terms of low light performance the 4MP starlight+ models with 1/1.8" are well liked by members.

I would suggest picking one one decent IP PoE camera and playing around a bit with it so you understand a bit more on this topic before jumping into a full setup.

Do check out the various reviews members have posted.

Reaction score
You have gotten a lot of good feedback above. I really think you should take @mat200 comment about getting one cam and get familiar with it before continuing.

In point: lets discuss your front door. This is probably the most important area. So get a nice varifocal turret (like Dahua 5442) and put it on a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes and test out your ideas. Things to consider...do you have light on the porch at night? How much? Is it enough to use full color at night or will you need to use IR? The only way to know is to test it. Is there multiple ways to get to the front door? Or will positioning cams to pick up a single approach work?

See my post on this:

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
You have gotten a lot of good feedback above. I really think you should take @mat200 comment about getting one cam and get familiar with it before continuing.

In point: lets discuss your front door. This is probably the most important area. So get a nice varifocal turret (like Dahua 5442) and put it on a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes and test out your ideas. Things to consider...do you have light on the porch at night? How much? Is it enough to use full color at night or will you need to use IR? The only way to know is to test it. Is there multiple ways to get to the front door? Or will positioning cams to pick up a single approach work?

See my post on this:
Yep that is what I was thinking. Buy one test it out in all main spots and see what works. Lots of trial/error for each setup.

erieadams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I meant turret model not dome.....

How does the Amcrest stack up against the 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". ?
I have the Amcrest ip8m-t2499ew flashed to Dahua Firmware and it does pretty good not great but I can see pretty clear in pitch black I also have 2 of the Dahua Starlight VF IPC-HDW5231RP-Z and they are pretty decent as well in pitch black no light what so ever the amcrest is far better in daylight and barely behind the starlight cameras at night if im watching just my vehicle on the amcrest it looks great at night but motion has lots of blur even adjusting the shutter that is where the starlight Dahua shine over the amcrest. I thought by updating the firmware in the amcrest to the 14 version everyone said I would get facial recognition but no luck for me there maybe have to see if i did install the right firmware but it was identical to the ones everyone else flashed with but for a 8mp 70 camera it holds its own

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend a minimum of two cameras for the front door. (I have 4 cameras on the front door 3 outside, 1 inside)
One mounted above the door bell to get a good face shot.
One pointed down at the package drop area.
Two on the garage door, one on each side of the door mounted no higher than the top of the door, you need to get good face shots of the door checkers. Use a 3.6 to 6 MM lens. if you park in the driveway at night you may need three camera, to cover all the car doors (right,left,center)

The cameras mounted high on the second story will give you an over view of what happened but not who did it. Cameras mounted higher than 7 ft will not get a face shot. Test your camera position and lens selection before installing. Test with motion at night with a "BAD" guy wearing a hoodie , looking down.

chip_

n3wb
Reaction score
Mounting options for Turret camera - what are people using for these style cameras if you go look at my Mount 1 for View 1 which is the front of the house aiming down the driveway.

Mount using a junction box?

Image result for mounting cameras front of house turret

Product

Mount using a wall-mount bracket?
1612974379056.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mounting options for Turret camera - what are people using for these style cameras if you go look at my Mount 1 for View 1 which is the front of the house aiming down the driveway.

Mount using a junction box?

Image result for mounting cameras front of house turret
Product

Mount using a wall-mount bracket?
View attachment 82265
Hi @chip_

Both work.. they both stick out about the same... the wall mount does not have holes for conduit though

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend using IPVM Camera Calculator V3 as a basis for camera selection and placement. Change the address to your location and be sure to dive into the settings. You need to ensure you enter the correct mounting height for each camera location and turn on "blind spot" to see that as well. Pay close attention to the PPF (pixels per face) calculation because this is the best indicator of how well you will be able to identify someone captured on the footage. If the PPF isn't 75 or greater, you won't have enough detail in the image to actually identify a stranger. If your goal is being able to identify someone (or have the police use the footage to identify a perp) then this is an important element of your design.

You will find that the wider the camera views, the lower the PPF will be. Far too often people think one or two wide angle cameras is good enough and call it a day. But if you look at the PPF, you will find that there isn't enough detail to properly identify a person. Sure you know someone is there and can even give a basic description (White male, 25-35 yr old, 5'9"-6' tall), but that is a far cry from having footage clear enough to say "yes, the perp you picked up yesterday in an unrelated crime is the same person that hit my car in the driveway.

When people ask what your goals are, this is what they are asking. How much detail do you expect there to be that can be used for identification purposes? You have to decide this before you can plan how many and what type of cameras you need. Then based on that decision, play with the calculator to find the right cameras, with the right focal length, with the right resolution to get the coverage that you need. Then make sure the selected cameras will provide the nighttime/low light performance that you expect as well.

Now this isn't a completely fool proof method of planning either. While the height calculation will reflect the correct "blind spot" for each camera, it won't give a proper view. So mounting a camera 20' in the air hoping to catch a person's face from 10' away isn't going to work in real life, but the calculator isn't going to warn you of that.

Last edited: