Looking for Optimal BI4 Clips and archive settings

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hello looking for a little help. I'm running a new Windows 10 pc with BI4 and windows on the c: drive 250mb ssd and a d: drive that is 4TB.
On what drive should I set the should I set the \BlueIris\New and \BlueIris\Storage to?
What should the Limit folder size and Limit clip age be set to for max days storage and then delete earliest?
Should delete be checked or move to folder?
Thanks

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your case, I would not record to the SSD. And since you have a 4TB drive for recordings I would allocate what you want from the drive to be used for "New" clips and recordings and forget about using the "Storage" option. Also, no sense if telling BI when to delete files based on time when you have the storage parameter set. You might have room for 4 weeks of clips on the drive and be telling BI to delete them after only 2 weeks. Don't do that and just use the space you have on your drive.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I currently have d:\BlueIris\New and limit folder size set to 3000 GB, and Delete checked. I will be starting out with 4- 3mp cams recording in 1080p- 8mp any other suggestions?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should get you up and running. I would let it run for a couple days then check back to see if you want to make any changes. Might be worth investing some thought into how you want to review your recordings with the cut and combine feature. I personally have mine turned off, so no cut and combine, but I don't allocate as much storage as you and don't have to worry so much about the number of raw files on my system. With your storage space I could get somewhere around 15 weeks of my recordings but there would be so many files that Windows might have a hard time with the sheer number. I think the BI database might struggle some too for that matter. Just a thought.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your case, I would not record to the SSD....
I'm just curious about your answer here. Why not write initially to the SSD (for sake of speed), perhaps to a limited amount of space, and then have the storage files moved to the Hard Drive?
Just wondering.

I have a 512GB SSD and only use 1/3 of it, so I was letting Blue Iris store files there, then archive them to one of my 3TB drives for permanent storage (I do this every night at 4:30am with a utility, not BI).

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There really isn't a need to write to something as fast as a SSD in this case, so why write to one location to in the end moving it to another. I would say just skip step #1 and put the files where they will live on the first go.

Also, there isn't enough supporting documentation for long term use of SSDs in surveillance systems, but the sheer volume of data that is written to the SSD in this particular use case could cause premature failure due to excessive writes to the blocks in an SSD. I don't want to subject my SSDs to this when spinny disks are so cheap these days. Just my $0.02