Looking for head height door cam

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for options on mounting something on the front close to the door bell that can catch someones face. I have an HK 2.8 dome mounted up high but want something like the ring, but not the ring, to get the face. Don't really want to mount a HK bullet down that low as I would think someone would just walk up and take it. Thoughts?

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, before you mentioned that I went ahead and placed an order for one of these thinking I would just mount it to the brick close to the doorbell. I will take a look at the starlight.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the Starlight version of that will kick the 4MP's ass both day and night

is your front door southernly facing? putting a dome exposed to UV from sunlight will degrade the plastic dome and fog it up over time.

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, just fyi, sun won't be a problem. Thinking I will be mounting it right next to the doorbell. Thoughts? Good location?

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, idea was to see the person(s) standing in the doorway not catch them walking into the doorway, that's why I'm now looking for something to catch the face entering the doorway. If I put 6mm up there and pointed it down I would just see a persons head.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
6mm and flip the sensor into corridor mode and you'll have a better chance getting a face on the walkway rather than a bald spot directly under the cam.

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
Right, but then when they ring the doorbell and I look at my cam I won't see anyone because the cam is looking at the arch entry. Anyway, reached out to @EMPIRETECANDY, waiting to hear back. Is china really the only place to get these cams? All my cameras are HK, love them, but I've heard horror stories of people buying them direct from china and having firmware issues. Also, not really wanting to wait a month for it to get to the US.

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
Probably about 12ft. It's a dome, only other option would be to drill into the brick to move it down to door height but then running risk of tampering with it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tampering with cameras is not a concern for residential installs; its practically unheard of and when a $1 bandanna over your face is easier and safer.

only time it happens is when you have a family feud going on with some neighbors.

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
True, I guess aesthetically it's not as pleasing but could probably move it down, would be a bitch to mount fishing cable through the insulated wall up into the attic.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its more asthetically pleasing to have a normal turret about door height than having a mini-dome at doorbell height.. You can always run EMT Conduit up to the attic and paint it to match your facade

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking those mini-domes were pretty small, you're probably right, maybe I will try to move it down and fish the wall. Can't really do conduit since it's brick and even painted would look pretty bad.