Looking For Good Advice

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will tonight I got my first PTZ camera. Before you say anything, it's the light bulb type. Honestly, they aren't bad at all, but if you need alot (maybe 12 around your house), then I know it's better to go with regular PTZ cameras. Also, I know everyone has what they like (brand), but what I"m looking for is something that I can purchase off of Amazon (maybe). But getting back to what I'm looking for is something that all the detection, PTZ of course, maybe 1 or 2 with zoom. I'm not a big fan of AI yet, but I know it's coming. Can someone steer me in the right direction about the brand of IP cameras I need to stay away from please.
Secondly, I have two buildings (my house and barn). They both have elect plugs in them, and the inside the barn I have a router, plus an unground RJ45 cable (CAT-6) running. So how can I get my cameras video/audio from my barn to my NVR which is going to be in the house, without running 12 RJ45 cables from the barn? The other reason why I was thinking PTZ was that we purchased one of those light buibs PTZ camera and the wife said "I like it because I can point the cameras any place". Plus I've been thinking about going NVR for a long time as currently, I have two DVR's (1 in the barn and 1 in the house) both connected with the undereground CAT 6E cable (I think it's CAT 6E).
Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
12 good PTZ cams is going to be an expensive deal. And you likely don't really need or want that. Provide some more info about the house and what you're wanting to do and you'll get more recommendations.

As far as your second question, if you have an underground run to the barn already then you can just add a POE switch to the end of it. You say that there's a router there now. Guessing that's for WiFi? If so you can plug that into the switch and use it in the same way and/or set it up or another as an AP.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would quicker and easier to tell you which camera brands/model to buy vs. which NOT to buy, as they are many that are inferior. That said, I'll leave the PTZ suggestions to members that DO have them; none of my outdoor cams are PTZ.

You use a POE switch in the barn and connect to POE cameras or a regular switch for non-POE cameras. For 12 cameras use a gigabit-rated switch.

In the house you install another gigabit switch, non-POE and connect that to the LAN port of your NVR. Configure the NVR's LAN port and each of the cams in the barn with a unique, static IP, all in the subnet as your router's LAN but outside of your router's DHCP pool.

Since you're in SC, consider not using a metallic cable between the house and barn because of lightning. Fiber would be the best but if you have good line of sight between the house and the barn, a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge as shown below would be a good second choice. It takes the place of the Ethernet cable from the house to the barn.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
12 good PTZ cams is going to be an expensive deal. And you likely don't really need or want that. Provide some more info about the house and what you're wanting to do and you'll get more recommendations.

As far as your second question, if you have an underground run to the barn already then you can just add a POE switch to the end of it. You say that there's a router there now. Guessing that's for WiFi? If so you can plug that into the switch and use it in the same way and/or set it up or another as an AP.
Sorry, I didn't include that info. Okay, I would like to know what is going on around my barn during the day and night. Inside the barn I would like to keep an eye on the horses as they are inside their stalls. As for the tool room and horse room (both are 8 x 12 rooms) have something in there as well. As for the house, same as the barn. The distances between the house and the bar is about 50'. Tony R. brings up a good point about the underground CAT 6 cable about the metal and lighting, but it's too late to change that out now. Been here for 12 years and haven't had a problem, so I'm counting on my blesses for another 20 years before that happens. We also have the normal stuff around here as well such as foxes and coyetes, as I would like to know where and when they come in to find my cats and take them. I agree with you about the 12 good PTZ cams are going to be expensive, but I'm glad your asking why so many cameras. Currently, I have 32 Amcrest bullet cameras, of which only 20 of them are still running. Either the cableing got eaten or just the EOL on the cameras.
Thank you again for answering so quickly and I hope to hear back about the cameras.
Dan

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today, I found out that all my cameras on the barn here are outdated. However, the silver lining to the whole thing is that I can keep using them with the DVR that is over in the barn and keep the setup the same way. The bad news is that the cameras on the house are a no go. First the new camera I'm thinking about getting (just to start with), is this one:New camera. The NVR that I"m getting to work with this camera is this New NVR and this camera as well New Camera On elect box. I only need this one, as I don't really trust my elect company, so I have a camera pointed to my elect meter so that I can monitor it. Could someone please look at the new camera and the NVR and tell if they will work and are good please. Not GREAT!, just good.
Thanks
Dan

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Today, I found out that all my cameras on the barn here are outdated. However, the silver lining to the whole thing is that I can keep using them with the DVR that is over in the barn and keep the setup the same way. The bad news is that the cameras on the house are a no go. First the new camera I'm thinking about getting (just to start with), is this one:New camera. The NVR that I"m getting to work with this camera is this New NVR and this camera as well New Camera On elect box. I only need this one, as I don't really trust my elect company, so I have a camera pointed to my elect meter so that I can monitor it. Could someone please look at the new camera and the NVR and tell if they will work and are good please. Not GREAT!, just good.
Thanks
Dan
Those cameras will NOT do well at night, their sensors are too small.

Wifi should be avoided for surveillance cameras if you expect reliability.

If you expect good videos, then these two would fit the bill.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns. But the price tag on those are out of my reach. SSA doesn't pay that much. I completely understand that the cameras I choose have very low light and wifi isn't a big thing to me as I live out in the country. However, I did have 1 question for you, and that is once everything is up and running and want to add more cameras down the road in those price ranges, how am I suppose to connect them to the NVR? i currently have DVR's, never had a NVR. How can you tell if a camera is analog or digital? Please advise and thank you.

Last edited:

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the ASH-47W camera is?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns. But the price tag on those are out of my reach. SSA doesn't pay that much. I completely understand that the cameras I choose have very low light and wifi isn't a big thing to me as I live out in the country. However, I did have 1 question for you, and that is once everything is up and running and want to add more cameras down the road in those price ranges, how am I suppose to connect them to the NVR? i currently have DVR's, never had a NVR. How can you tell if a camera is analog or digital? Please advise and thank you.
The camera description page you buy will tell you it is a analog camera or POE camera.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Will tonight I got my first PTZ camera. Before you say anything, it's the light bulb type. Honestly, they aren't bad at all, but if you need alot (maybe 12 around your house), then I know it's better to go with regular PTZ cameras. Also, I know everyone has what they like (brand), but what I"m looking for is something that I can purchase off of Amazon (maybe). But getting back to what I'm looking for is something that all the detection, PTZ of course, maybe 1 or 2 with zoom. I'm not a big fan of AI yet, but I know it's coming. Can someone steer me in the right direction about the brand of IP cameras I need to stay away from please.
Secondly, I have two buildings (my house and barn). They both have elect plugs in them, and the inside the barn I have a router, plus an unground RJ45 cable (CAT-6) running. So how can I get my cameras video/audio from my barn to my NVR which is going to be in the house, without running 12 RJ45 cables from the barn? The other reason why I was thinking PTZ was that we purchased one of those light buibs PTZ camera and the wife said "I like it because I can point the cameras any place". Plus I've been thinking about going NVR for a long time as currently, I have two DVR's (1 in the barn and 1 in the house) both connected with the undereground CAT 6E cable (I think it's CAT 6E).
Thanks
Dan
Good advice is to start research reading/hanging out here for awhile before you go and spend all your hard earned money on some cameras you will regret buying. You can start reading the Wiki page up top this forums title page. all cameras out at your barn can go into POE network switch in your barn which powers the cameras and networks them to your house via the cat6 you have under ground.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I took your advice and clicked on the Wiki link which took me to a page about BlueIris. I'm not looking for Blueiris, I was looking for cameras like you instructed. All my cameras out in my barn are analog, and therefore they have to stay with the DVR out there. Once I get the house done, I will be looking at doing that part of my on going project. P.S. I know someone menitoned that I should stay away from WI-FI cameras, and I agree that they are a security risk. However, because of a medical condition (my back), I can no longer go under my house to run wires all day long. I have to stay above ground from here on out. Therefore, I know I will have to run RJ45 cables out in my barn, but I'm not going under my barn. Out there, I can run then across and up and down. But for the house, above ground. The Boss and doctors order. So getting back to my questions tho, this camera ASH-47W, does anyone know about it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I took your advice and clicked on the Wiki link which took me to a page about BlueIris. I'm not looking for Blueiris, I was looking for cameras like you instructed. All my cameras out in my barn are analog, and therefore they have to stay with the DVR out there. Once I get the house done, I will be looking at doing that part of my on going project. P.S. I know someone menitoned that I should stay away from WI-FI cameras, and I agree that they are a security risk. However, because of a medical condition (my back), I can no longer go under my house to run wires all day long. I have to stay above ground from here on out. Therefore, I know I will have to run RJ45 cables out in my barn, but I'm not going under my barn. Out there, I can run then across and up and down. But for the house, above ground. The Boss and doctors order. So getting back to my questions tho, this camera ASH-47W, does anyone know about it?
The wiki has information about cameras as well as other subjects...you actually need to click on the various options.
You dont seem to want advice, rather you want to validate decisions you have already made. So, I will help. Wifi is awesome, dont listen to these fools. 15-20 wifi cams no problemo as long as your router supports at least wifi 802.11b . The cameras you have selected are AMAZING and will work PERFECTLY. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. The ASH-47W is particularly awesome because it has not one but TWO wifi antenna and we all know that makes it better.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Acutaully Fenderman your right! I need validation, but also I need to learn of these things. That is why I came here is to learn and when I get the actually item, I will learn more and see where my mistakes are and then report back to what ever post I read. The router that I have is a "ASUS ROG STRIX GS-AX5400 - Wireless Router - 4-port Switch - GigE - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax - Dual Band. " To clarify about setting this new NVR up without poe, I hook up the NVR to my RJ45 cable that is connected to my router. Then after that, since 2 of my cameras are wifi, the NVR should have no problem in finding them correct? Since the new camera is also wifi, the NVR should also be able to find it correct? Since I have two other cameras currently connected to my DVR, one has an antenna on the camera and is made by Lorex. The other part of it has an antenna and connects to the DVR. I'm thinking (please tell me if I'm right or wrong), I will not be able to use it because of the connections? Is there a device that I could use to make it work tho as it's a analog camera as well?

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess because I wanted validation instead of learning stuff, this thread is dead. Man trying to learn things and asking for help and no one cares. Good thing while in the military I learned to help those.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess because I wanted validation instead of learning stuff, this thread is dead. Man trying to learn things and asking for help and no one cares. Good thing while in the military I learned to help those.
You got your validation....we see folks like you all the time...waste others time because you dont really want advice....So just go and do what you have already done or were planning to do.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is real advice. from my years hanging out here at ipcamtalk, I've come to learn that your better off installing 3 fixed wired cameras in the location you want a PTZ camera. not even considering wifi cams.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you don't want me to waste your time, don't waste mine with dumb things like from redpoint5. Honestly, was thinking this was a place to learn, chat, validaiton, and etc. I guess not. May God Bless your souls anyway.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you don't want me to waste your time, don't waste mine with dumb things like from redpoint5. Honestly, was thinking this was a place to learn, chat, validaiton, and etc. I guess not. May God Bless your souls anyway.
I only read the title and not the post, and made a smartass comment because I saw a lot of people had already commented and probably provided good info...

Now I've read the post, and questions like "brand of IP cameras I need to stay away from" aren't going to steer you right. The path to misery is infinite...

This forum needs more information to provide useful advice, because this subject is deceptively complex. Details like lighting conditions, distance, field of view, and your expectations (DORI) are important.

Probably the thing that helped me understand the complexity the most was the IPVm camera calculator. I played around with various specs to get a sense of what image quality to expect. Like most newbs, I had figured high megapixels with a wide field of view would be fantastic. I'm using the cheap cams I originally bought as baby monitors now, because they are pretty worthless for anything else.

Also, don't pee into the wind. :p

IPVM Designer / Calculator

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You're not likely going to get good performance from a lightbulb camera. If you can't afford a proper ptz, look at fixed cameras and build up your system over time. PTZ's bring their own problems. The 5442 series with IR are a good start. The Wiki is there for a reason, it's based on experience. We'd all be rich if we had a $1 for everyone who came with issues after buying cheap brand X.