Looking for advise on a PC to move BI to

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My initial thought was something like used 7060 tower but realized the PS will not be enough for a GPU.

The PC I'm hosting it on his an i7, 6700, 32gb ram and a GTX 1650 it's also my daily driver to work on.

If I can spend about $300 for a dedicated BI PC and move the GTX1650 over that would be great. If it doubles that budget, I'd just build a new more up to date daily driver and keep this one as a dedicated BI box.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current versions of BI do not require a GPU, with the use of substream processing.
But I would recommend a CPU that will support windows 11 in the future.

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a decent deal below on 11th gen HP desktop one if you don't mind certified refurbished. It should offer plenty of power compare to your 7th gen and able to use the unused CPU power for CodeProject AI or something similar.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a decent deal below on 11th gen HP desktop one if you don't mind certified refurbished. It should offer plenty of power compare to your 7th gen and able to use the unused CPU power for CodeProject AI or something similar.

Thanks, so a i5-11400 will run CodeProject AI with no issue? I FWIW I have 16 cameras, 7 or 8 of them are utilizing AI but will eventually need more.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you’re using substream and given the benchmark score I see for the i5–11400, I would think it’s more than enough. Maybe someone with 10 or 11th gen CPU can chime in to see what their AI response time is so you can get a better picture.

Are you having an issue with your current setup? Have you consider keeping it for dedicated BI machine and get something good for your personal daily driver?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no issue with my current machine. I just want to dedicate a PC for only BI so I can tuck it away in a closet out of site.

WIth the i7 6700 it couldn't handle the AI on it's own. I added the GTX1650 and all my problems went away. The current GTX1650 will be moved to the new PC.

WIth that said though, as I'm thinking about it outloud, perhaps the better solution for me is to buy a new case since my current case is all RGB and the whole disco crap which I don't want on the BI PC. I can move the CPU, Ram, SSD and HDD to the new simple low profile case and build a new PC from scratch.

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Imo, I’d keep that i7-6700 for the dedicated BI machine. If it’s not handling AI to your expectation and you want to keep that GTX1650 for gaming on another machine or whatever, then I’d consider getting quadro P620, P1000, P2000 depending on your budget. They all having reasonable power consumption ranging from 40 to 75W, which is reasonable when comparing against the desktop GTX series with higher power requirement.

If you’re feeling adventurous, I’d also consider the datacenter nvidia tesla P4, which you easily find under $100 on ebay and it has 8GB memory and 2560 cuda cores (double that of P2000 while using 75W max). The only caveat with this is you’ll need to find a way to cool it yourself as it has no fans. Keep it mind it’s built for datacenter server that it has their own cooling solution.