Looking for advice on my install locations.

kenzi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am on BI, but it should be the same as I did it in the GUI.

You will need to give it a reason to track for each preset, which means setting up a trip wire or other IVS rule. At the screen before this one, click + to add another preset to set rules for.

View attachment 158431
View attachment 158432
Thanx,
I'll have to try again, thanks for your info and help :thumb:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking to install some of my cameras over the next couple days and the single/double bay garage doors overlooking the driveway are next on the easy list, but wanted opinions on mounting under the garage door header vs on the fascia. I think they are a lot less obvious this way. I was worried they would hang down and be in the way of the opening, but I think it would take a special kind of stupid to hit them.

This also gives me the option to remove it later and have an easier hole to patch/cover than one on the fascia.

There would be one similarly placed on the upper left corner of the single bay door.

7F43C8DD-715D-461B-A2FB-3222CB5F4131.jpegFC6163EF-90CC-497F-A2F4-6B53EAD86DAB.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with the garage door header

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there are too many reasons not to go with that option, but was hoping someone had a reason I was overlooking that made it a bad idea.

I am hoping to be able to get a big enough hole to get the pigtail back through into the garage without needing to also run a junction box.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Ignore the lines on the picture, but with these two angles what should my field of view focus on?

Should the center of the FOV for both be pointed at the middle of my driveway where it meets the sidewalk with focal length set for IDing someone about halfway between the sidewalk and house?

OR

Should the center of the FOV for each be pointed at the opposite corner where the driveway meets the sidewalk with the same focal length criteria as above?

CamAngles.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If cars will be parked on driveway, then crossing the field of view is the best approach. If not, then set them up to cover a specific distance.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Cars parking in the driveway is not typical, but looking at all of the other houses on my street it is clearly normal for them, haha.

I will mess around with it then. It's not like it will be a difficult change to make since I don't even need a step stool to hang the thing.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a fan of having an exposed cable, but I think I’m going this route. It’s the least invasive and I can always drill later.

B7F12089-5173-4486-85FF-9479E49EBC5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Both installed and ended up zoomed all the way to 12mm. Now that I have these installed, I am debating on what to do with my 4K-T that I just got. I don't really have enough light around the back of the house to use it there, but not sure if there is a use for it in the front. I have considered putting it on the soffit where the Single Bay camera was before I moved it, but not sure if it needs it.

Double_Bay 2023-04-06 10.32.27.646 PM.jpgDriveway 2023-04-06 10.32.27.307 PM.jpg

This is the FOV for this camera backed all of the way out and at 5mm? before moving it and taking it all of the way to 12mm.

Single Bay 36.jpgSingle_Bay 2023-04-06 10.34.21.684 AM.jpg

Single_Bay 2023-04-06 10.41.23.199 PM.jpgDriveway 2023-04-06 10.41.22.625 PM.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good.

It is amazing how often we end up going to max zoom!

Once we get over the cool wide angle see the whole neighborhood feels, we realize that we need more optical zoom if the cameras are going to give us any good video.

Maybe turn the 4K/T into a dedicated spotter camera only?

Or start the process of placing it in the landscaping looking back at the house and disguise it as landscaping lights. Or face towards the street to get a good IDENTIFY capture of passing vehicles.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I added an image of Single Bay with it at the right focal length. I didn't realize the one I had posted was zoomed all of the way out.

Yea, I'm not really sure what purpose I want to take with the 4K-T. I liked the crisscross overview of the driveway, but I don't necessarily need the 4K-T to look back the other way, I could always put a 3.6mm back up there and adjust the FOV for a see-what's-going-on view.

I've considered building a birdhouse for the flower bed near my front steps to cover the approach from the driveway to the front porch, but I think that might be better suited for a B/W cam at night since they could be backlit.

I do have landscaping lights behind my back fence and there are homes being built behind me which has added street lights. I intend to place a camera on top of the post on each side of the 10' gate, crisscrossed, to cover entry and watch the walking path behind my house. I could possibly try it out in one of those positions.

Another option is to replace the camera over the Service Door and put that coach light on a timed switch. Or maybe covering the front of the gate (exiting the backyard) and that area of the yard. I just don't know if I would be able to mount it in the same soffit position as Single Bay and rotate it, there might be a downspout in the way.

Or I use it on the deck and leave the can lights on at night to give a color image for anyone that might try to come in that way. I could possibly just use the onboard LEDs as well.

So many options...

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me it looks like you have the front covered pretty good. I'd personally wait until the deck is finished and see how the surrounding light is going to be and test the 4k to see how things look.
I've done pretty much the same thing, concentrated a lot on the front, now I'm going back around and covering the side and back a lot better.

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a fan of having an exposed cable, but I think I’m going this route. It’s the least invasive and I can always drill later.

View attachment 159304
How about adding a small piece of wood painted white to cover it?
Or even a piece of plastic or metallic pipe (or something that is like half of a pipe)?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How about adding a small piece of wood painted white to cover it?
Or even a piece of plastic or metallic pipe (or something that is like half of a pipe)?
I might be able to find some cable cover, but it's not going to be able to get it all encased. If someone wants to cut it or hit it with a bat, there's nothing that's going to stop them.

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is amazing how often we end up going to max zoom!
Yes, this. I am glad I forked out the extra for the varifocal version of the Andy 5442. My IDENTIFY cam on the back gate is at max zoom because the camera is on the railing of my back porch, some distance from the gate.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, this. I am glad I forked out the extra for the varifocal version of the Andy 5442. My IDENTIFY cam on the back gate is at max zoom because the camera is on the railing of my back porch, some distance from the gate.
I am glad I went with varifocals for when I start the install on the deck, as well.

Before I installed the driveway cams I never would have thought I would have them at full zoom. Comparing the still images to the 3.6mm over the driveway they don't look much different when sizing the car, but it's definitely a huge difference with a person there.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Why does the one camera have a much different color?

1681311082178.png